Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

I was moderated and asked for constructive and civil comment . I hardly see how all these hypothetic and totally unfounded reflexion on how elektron is organised, how they face their work charge, about the difficulties of a dev team, these" you dont know how to dev but i yes"can be seen as constructive. No one know and surely will never know how it goes inside. Thus i dont see why not censored too. All this is just here to be finally presented as pseudo excuse for the repetetive late we face. I mean , by exagerating who really know how many hollyday they take for christmas with our money?
Really remind me to when apple reborn now, when consumer start to defend and promote the brand like if it was part of the family. After all this, remain the facts. Company is company, and company ommit and lie.

4 Likes

Shit happens, and problems can occur.

Still, I think two things are completely unacceptable:

• Overbridge was ADVERTISED as part of my Analog Rytm MkII buy as available in February up to yesterday. The last official statement about this release is from last month, from January! It is hard to imagine that at this point Elektron was not aware of development problems, which they communicate now. Still they waited until mid February to inform users and possible buyers, after the first batch of the new devices has already found lots of buyers relying on their fresh January statement. From my view it is completely evident that this is not just bad, but this is simply misleading information politics.

• what is much worse, is that Elektron steps out of all responsibility for fixing the situation VERY FAST in a way they explain, by not even naming ANY time frame to fix the problems. To me this is, frankly, a big slap in midst of all user faces, and simply altogether impertinent behavior! As a user, I expect concrete information instead of humble words saying nothing at all!

If all they seriously tell me, is that they will take their time, whenever that may be, and they donā€™t feel any need to explain any rough time frame, problems and measures taken, then that is no longer solid business taking care of custmers to me!

These two points heavily (!!!) annoy me as new Elektron customer. I was so deligthed about some Analog Rytm MkII features and sound, that I was seriously thinking of buying more Elektron gear. But this wonā€™t happen anytime soon in the next years now, after this way of treating their customers with a lame excuse without any concrete time frame for fixing problems!

Iā€™m done with Elektron for while now!!!

10 Likes

I think this is the part that just feels really shady. They released a new unit with the same functionality promises as the DT a month ago. Obviously they knew at that time that they couldnā€™t deliver on the timeframe they sold the DN on. I own the DT, and Iā€™m disappointed that OB has been pushed again, but I can understand that stuff gets pushed. But when you release a product with major functionality promised by a certain date, and a few weeks later push that date, it just seems dishonest and calculated.

4 Likes

Sadly I agree, the impression is ā€˜lets get ARII + Digitone out and NAMM over, then reveal that OB is late againā€™

6 Likes

You and other users imply that Elektron does not give a release date on purpose or that they postpone the release on purpose. They can tell a release date after all issues are fixed, until then all dates are just guesses and estimates. It is interesting to read Urs HeckmannĀ“s reports on coding of their synths. You would not imagine what possibly could go wrong when you code software!

That aside I understand how this is frustrating for everyone who thought that the label ā€œincluding Overbrigeā€ on the Digitakt meant ā€œincluding Overbridgeā€ instead of ā€œwait another year and we still donĀ“t know when itĀ“s readyā€.

1 Like

first batch digitakt and digitone buyer here, really disappointed to say the least.

7 Likes

Initially i was counting the days till overbridge, but now im sorta used to mixing itDT and dont care so much.
What I really want to see is a fully realised DT. A band pass on the multimode filter (or the 2nd base filter from the DN) amongst other things.
Still feels half baked.

1 Like

I can see ZERO transparency in Elektronā€™s behavior.

If a company

• attracts buyers with a January statement announcing Overbridge, as essetial part of their products (which it is to many users!), available in February,
  • and then announces in February that they have no clue at all, when this essetial part might be available, , then this is the THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF TRANSPARENT AND RESPONSIBLE BEHAVIOR from my view.
    As I said, to me this is completely unaccepable, misleading and impertinent behavior.

And no, there will be NO TIME, when ā€œWE forget about not having overbridgeā€. To me it always sounds a bit amusing, how some hardware nerds in this forum, among them obviously many who rather avoid intensive software use, repeatedly try to generalize their peculiar view towards those, who make heavy use of BOTH hardware and software and simply have to RELY on overbridge for all their recording projects.

You know whatā€™s worse? Do you know how minimal an OB release could have been to justify their ETA and to present SOMETHING

They could have released a prototype and just added features to it(like they kinda do with all their gear) no, they have nothing to show or present of offer.

2 Likes

Here I have to agree, while this wouldnā€™t satisfy everyone, something is (to me) better than nothing.

2 Likes

Timeline:
-Announcement of DT OS update and Overbridge release
-Announcement of DT OS Update delay
-Announcement of Digitone(more immediate than anyone expected)
-Announcement of Overbridge delay

1 Like

Thatā€™s what everyone would actually expect. Show a sneak peek, release transfer app, closed/open beta. From what we know now, thereā€™s nothing.

2 Likes

OB features were what really drew me to DT. Canā€™t say Iā€™m disappointed though. I love it even without the OB. Still, Elektron should deliver. Really didnā€™t like to see a new Synth when OB was still not out.

I do appreciate the work they do though. Hopefully we will see OB soon.

4 Likes

Mmmm. please letā€™s not antagonize nor direct answer to someone antagonizingā€¦
Even for the person that has extremely heavy grief about this new delay, itā€™s still pretty light in regard with whatā€™s going on in this world. Even without Overbridge, one can make music with DT in amazing ways.
Now I totally understand the frustration of people having bought the DT because of OB.
You can clearly state your frustration. Still letā€™s stay respectful. When people say ā€œchill outā€, I feel like it may be seen as ā€œtake some distance, even if itā€™s late itā€™s comingā€.

Letā€™s just not keep it too hard, itā€™s really not worth it.
This is only all about music gear after all. Transpose on other objects and you might feel better waiting :slight_smile:

Weā€™re a Community, letā€™s stay as helpful as possible to each other.

11 Likes

All I can say is what I said back in May of 2015 when OB was being announced (initial quote from panelist):

panelist:

It's gonna be so awesome when overbridge comes out and people stop complaining about overbridge not coming out and start complaining about overbridge not doing what they had convinced themselves it was supposed to do.

and customer support and tech support and the dev staff will continue to be tied up responding to the flood of inquiries/problems/incompatibilities/etc associated with OB and actual OS updates with bug fixes and features for the actual hardware (which Elektron still sells, correct? They havenā€™t suddenly turned into a software shop, right?) will continue to be delayed until OB stabilizes.

So we can get back to complaining about the lack of updates and bug fixes, just like before.

How many hours after OB is released until we see a post like ā€œIā€™m running an overclocked custom PC with Linux and a shareware sequencer I tweaked myself and a bunch of other freeware and I canā€™t get OB to talk to my AR through an extra long custom USB 3.0 cable I built myself out of parts I found in an old telephone closetā€

The point being that if outsiders with software development experience could see the potential problems and conflicts, surely Elektron did too. How one chooses to handle difficulties says a lot about oneā€™s character; same with a company.

(former MnM, MD owner, still enjoying my OT)

3 Likes

As a software engineer it has long been my observation that people in general underestimate the complexity of software development. Particularly sending audio over USB and dealing with latency are extrememly complex software engineering tasks. Ensuring your software stack works with the plethora of varied and different hardware out there on very different operating systems is a mountain of a task.

That we are all going to get this for free is astounding considering the titantic amount of work going into it. I am of the opinion, that if people could even understand the sheer size of what is being down here, that it would be much eaiser for people to be a little more patient.

2d

14 Likes

Iā€™d think that heavy users will NOT rely on Overbridge because OB is still a very immature product. Also, heavy users will have more than a Digitakt in the studioā€¦

2 Likes

Well, the real problem being that developers themselves tend to underestimate the complexity of their task. Source: Iā€™m a developer.

6 Likes

200+ posts in a day?

Seems like a hot topic. All I care about is being able to back up my rytmā€™s samples one dayā€¦ But I can wait.

Iā€™ve always considered ob to being the ā€20% projectā€ elektron coders chip away at their free timeā€¦ It will be great once we finally get there, no doubt, but I can wait tbh. Iā€™m just glad the hardware is usable without it.

What I have trouble understanding however is, how can elektron seriously market overbridge as a big selling point for these machines at this stageā€¦ but thats just like my opinion man. Some marketing gurus might consider this as an abomination, so I can totally understand why some people would be pissed off.

2 Likes