ST tips & tricks

A related trick with lock trigs (aka trigless trigs) is to add them where you want extra beats / ghost notes.

While performing you tap them once to make them real trigs with all the settings you previously set up on them.

Then use [FUNC] +Trig to convert them back into lock trigs.

It works well for experiments, and to mute trigs for a while without deleting them.

9 Likes

Thanks! Happy to hear you’ll find a use for it. Yeah, I forgot to mention you have to pick between sidechaining and this, as ordinary trigs of any kind cancel out the FX.

One possibility I thought of for doing both, if you wanted just 1 effect—say, a riser set to trigger on 8:8— you could put that on the first empty step in the sequencer, then make the next sidechaining trig condition /PRE, then all the following ones PRE, it could turn off simple sidechaining on that 8th repetition with the riser.

A second FX track, or really any additional features they’d be willing to throw at the FX implementation would be instantly really useful.

2 Likes

It’s possible, if you send CCs corresponding to the Note parameter instead of midi Notes (which uses track parameters instead of plocks).

1 Like

Yeeeeeah. That sounds like a nightmare to sequence! Hahaha. But I like the idea!

1 Like

With a midi processor, it’s easy to map midi notes to the CC corresponding to notes of several Elektrons, including ST.
Also doable with a Zoia

The tricky thing is how to map notes on/off. I mapped notes in to Velocity 127, Notes off to Velocity 1.
I didn’t work more on it :

Summary

(I’m away from home, just have ST and Hx Stomp for guitar).

I didn’t plan to post it, but I made a video to show it to a Elektronauts in a pm :wink:. Holding my headphones plugged to ST and smartphone to record audio/video in 1 hand !

Bad example, but basically I used my keyboard, notes are mapped to CCs Notes, and Velocity. That way notes are played synced. I used several tracks on the same midi channel. I plocked a very few notes as reference, but most the notes are played only from my keyboard, and plocked by ST.

4 Likes

That’s awesome. I fantasize about having the motivation and patience to sit down and do scripting and filtering with various tools, but I always get bored, impatient, and then just go make music. Haha

1 Like

I still can enjoy to programing simple scripts as challenges, this one is maybe 3 or 4 mappings, easy with Event Processor. I still prefer onboard solutions, I’d want Multi Map for ST as a compromise… :thinking: and Arp ! IIRC playing external notes with plocks worked with Digitone :

with DN

From my experience with Digitone you can play notes modified by plocks with ARP on :
This example is with internal keyboard, but iirc it worked with midi loopback, hence any external midi notes.
All notes are played live, modified by plocks : 4 tracks are layed but set differently for drums, bass, chord, melody, with plocks (a lot of plocked parameters for drums).

https://youtu.be/Ob9ko54y9Ss

3 Likes

This is such a fun trick, finally had a chance to try it. Kudos for discovering it. Makes me wonder what other things are possible that Elektron themselves probably never even dreamt of! Such a fun box, thanks for unlocking another element to it :ok_hand:

2 Likes

This is a super basic and perhaps obvious one, and applies to all modern Elektrons with Ctrl-All, but I find it useful - doing Ctrl-All on the trig condition chance and bringing it down to zero will mute all the tracks (except any trigs with chance P-locks). Can be fun to create a moment of silence after a build up before reloading pattern.

You could do this with track volume but then sounds would cut off immediately whereas this way any playing sounds will play out.

16 Likes

But couldn’t you just program the duck on the 4ths with a PLock’d dip envelope?

Edit-Nevermind, track COND 0…

1 Like

Yep, and a normal trig will cancel out P-locks. It’s theoretically possible to duck the amp using a trig with an LFO and ramp or saw; I haven’t tried hard, but it was a little choppy the first I tried it. Might give it another go.

Right now I’ve been playing with freeze delay, which is bananas (sampler-like tricks, turntable stuff, audio-rate/karplus-strong effects, etc), more soon.

4 Likes

Stayin tuned

More on using the FX block as a performance FX suite…

I had the idea to make a freeze delay, which works really well and I think could have a wide variety of uses. Made a tutorial video and a hiphop-style “sample” flip jam, with details on getting the LFOs and delay time to play together for the freeze delay:

30 Likes

Best tip so far ^^
Thx mate!

1 Like

That’s so smart with the LFO on amp! Genius! :ok_hand: amazed what you can get out of the FX block, cheers for sharing.

2 Likes

Wow very cool. I can’t wait to sit down and reproduce on my takt and explore
Best use of the FX track yet

Very nice much feels like an evolution of @Doug trick on the digitakt scenes

Can you all get together for some beers and hack the boxes a bit more for us? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

It would work! It’s just not as straightforward to set up.

There’s no fx block on the Digitakt so you have to use the MIDI loopback and point a track at the fx track. You can then do the same thing. You set different settings for your delay as parameter locks and launch them with trig preview the same way he’s doing it there.

To do the volume stuff you need to already be using the scene trick. You need set up the LFO as a parameter lock and you need to copy and paste it to the steps with the fx changes on each track so that they can be triggered together.

I did a version of this a little while back. Please excuse the Instagram link. I never got around to making a YouTube video about it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXWerc_FxwG/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

I’m going to give it a go with the LFO later on

5 Likes

It does ! I tested it a few days ago. @Humanprogram trick also reminded me this behavior with midi notes received while holding plocked trigs. An A4 user posted it a few years ago, but I didn’t know your video @Doug, showing very well the potential! It also works with OT.

3 Likes

Nice! I hadn’t seen this particular DT trick of yours (though I learned a lot from a different one on slicing you posted!). Now, as a DT/ST owner, my eyes are going pretty wide at the combo possibilities these open up together … Great idea and tutorial, thanks @aaanicholls for pointing us to it…

3 Likes

You know what I realised this enables? A Syntakt version of the Octatrack transition trick, so you can smoothly blend between patterns in a live set! It requires some prep and is not 100% smooth, but it works, and maybe we can work out ways to make it smoother.

Basically at a high level, we want to capture a 1 bar loop from pattern 1 using the freeze delay trick set to 1/1, then switch to pattern 2 and bring in the elements over the top of our loop, then fade the loop out.

In order for this to work, we need a “transition target” version of each pattern with the delay set to 1/1, feedback 100, no filter, and no tracks sent to the delay - so that when we switch to that pattern, the delay continues looping smoothly without decaying, and we aren’t adding extra elements to the delay.

You can then complete the transition with the delay filter or volume, and switch to the “full” version of the pattern with any delay you might want (this does result in a delay pitch change artefact - not sure what the best way round that is, maybe you could adjust the delay time after the transition but before you switch).

Obviously this kind of rules out using the FX block for other more creative uses (though I guess you could have a version of the pattern which uses the FX block normally, then when you are going to transition you switch to one where the FX block will just be used as a looper, like an “outro” version?).

A couple of things to note, this doesn’t handle tempo changes nicely so you’ll need to use global BPM or whatever to avoid artefacts. Also the looped version of the pattern doesn’t sound totally identical – not sure if there’s a way to balance the levels so that it does. You can also end up with clicks at the boundary, I put a slight fade in on the LFO for the sample trigger to avoid this.

Happy to write it out in more detail but it’s getting late so for now here’s a video - sorry for the lame captions, I couldn’t record me speaking as my partner’s asleep and I didn’t feel like learning how to use iMovie properly!

One tweak I realised you could do if you’re feeling adventurous is that rather than muting tracks to select what you are going to record into the loop, you could do this using the FX track input selector, if you want to prepare your loop a bit more in advance without changing what is audible.

Enjoy!

15 Likes