SSL SiX - Routing ideas / Audio Interface

Maybe contact Arturia directly and get it sorted?

Yeah, mail arturia support. They’re very responsive. Not being able to register the device shouldn’t stop you using it, it’s class compliant, so maybe there’s something else wrong with it.

Though, it is frustrating that the product key was activated! Does that mean the plugins are also activated?

2 Likes

That was a option, but I rather return it and get a new one, also its missing the manual and the certificate with shows all the test of the pre-amps. Isn’t worth the discount imo. When I get the new model I finally can try to route it :slight_smile:

This thread has really encouraged me to take the plunge and pick up the Six. I’m also not a pro / engineer, and the layout and documentation for this device seem overly obfuscated. But as I understand it, you can indeed get a multitrack recording out of it. Nando, let me know how it goes. I’m attempting a similar set up. Looking into interfaces now.

1 Like

Pages 18 and 19 of the manual are good examples of multi-tracking.

With the D-sub connector, you can send channels 1 and 2 to the interface via the insert sends. And then you have stereo cue 1 and 2 for some combination of channels 3/4, Ext 1/2, and the feedback mic. Mix Bus B outs can also be used but anything you send out of these will take them from the main bus, something to keep in mind if you wanted to use the G-bus compressor for an alternate master take.

I’m no expert, but happy to try to answer any questions you have about the manual/routing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@cold_fashioned I’m gonna reply to you here :slight_smile: thread already exists :wink:

Cue 1 is being sent to the Blackbox in my setup (for sampling). I know I could use Bus B for this, but the Cue is more flexible in my experience. I can sample something without having to maintain volume levels between the Bus B and Mains. Also I can send the LMC mic (for piano mostly) to the Blackbox for sampling (and monitoring through headphones). I prefer pre-fader behavior in this setup because, again, I want to control the Blackbox input volume from the SiX, without affecting what I’m hearing in the monitors.

Cue 2 (left) is going into the Matriarch’s instrument input (back through the Bluebox and then into the SiX on a stereo channel). Here, I prefer the pre-fader behavior because I sometimes want to hear only the affected signal, or want to ride the fader of one (original/affected) without changing the other volume.

1 Like

I’ve been considering/researching the Six for a while now and still a little confused when it comes to routing…especially FX send/returns. As I understand it for a FX send the cue outputs on the back can be used, but I’m trying to figure out return options. I thought perhaps the EXT inputs on the upper right could be used, but not sure.

Ideally I would like to be able to route two stereo fx without using the main stereo channels as returns. Could anyone give me some examples on how to do this? Thanks!!!

1 Like

Yup. That’s how I use them

3 Likes

Yes, this is how I have done it. Send out ST Cue 1 or 2 on back, then return to EXT Inputs.

2 Likes

Same, one pair to a zen delay, the other to a cxm 1978. I find the low input count a bit limiting but it’s a fantastic mixer.

3 Likes

Nice! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nice! Thanks for the verification all. Sure beats using up stereo channels like on my Zed14.

1 Like

Also there’s alternative inputs via d-sub which route parallel with inputs 1+2 with separate pan+vol controls. I think only when not utilising channel 1+2 inserts.

1 Like

CXM 1978 ftw :heart:

1 Like

:metal:t3:It’s hands on and sounds awesome. Had OTO delay and verb but never got on with the menu system.

2 Likes

@studionando how did you get in with all of this?

I’m considering a new interface, run everything into that and then out to the Six and back in to a DAW and the Arturia AudioFuse 8Pre Is looking perfect (apart from the digital mixer app side. I’ve never got on with them).

the six has 12 inputs

Hoping for a little help…

Ive now sold my OT and Blackbox and going to be working 100% in a DAW (Live) for sequencing and recording audio…

I’m using:
Electric Guitar (stereo output from an OX)
Acoustic Guitar (mono mic)
Moog Matriarch (Stereo)
Vermona DRM1 (Stereo)
Piano VST from DAW (Stereo)
Samples in DAW.
SSL SiX
SSL Fusion on SiX master insert

I’m used to having everything going into my SiX and then just recording a stereo mix from main outs into my DAW.

I currently only have a 2 in 4 out interface.

Sometimes I want to record midi and send it out to the Moog and DRM1 and record that audio back into the DAW for further messing around. Sometimes I just want to play the Moog into the daw as audio and playing along to whatever is coming out of the DAW.

I also want to utilise some FX pedals and a Quadraverb.

I can’t wrap my head around how best to get this all working now. Am I best getting a bigger interface, record it all into my DAW and send that all back out to the Six/Fusion for final mix then back as a stereo into the DAW?

Sorry, that’s probably a bit of a rambling…. It’s all early days so I’m not sure what’s best to do.

Multitrack. Like in olden times. I mean, if you’re using a DAW, why not?

1 Like

Wow the ssl six / fusion combo must be amazing! I think the lack of inputs outputs on your interface sounds like the weak link to fully utilise the analog summing power of the six of primarily working in a DAW.

1 Like