Squarp Pyramid [compilation topic]

can the pyramid send individual channles per pad? or is this restricted to a track?.. … many thanks

Depends. I would’ve hoped for a kind of drum machine mode, where you could bang away on the pads like on a Rytm, Electribe, Tempest or similar. Doesn’t seem like it can do that, which I miss, cause it takes away part of the live vibe of putting together drum tracks specifically (which it does quite excellent in Step mode, though in a more traditional step sequencer way).
But in Track mode, you can mute and unmute tracks on the fly, and each track corresponds to a midi channel. So for that purpose, the pads can respond to channels.
So it’s maybe possible to do what I’d like to make it do, but just haven’t figured out. But I’ve read documents and browsed menues, and have yet to find this feature.
Though the OS is still not 1.0, so even the developers are saying they’re not done with what they think the Pyramid should be yet.

Depends. I would’ve hoped for a kind of drum machine mode, where you could bang away on the pads like on a Rytm, Electribe, Tempest or similar. Doesn’t seem like it can do that, which I miss, cause it takes away part of the live vibe of putting together drum tracks specifically (which it does quite excellent in Step mode, though in a more traditional step sequencer way).
But in Track mode, you can mute and unmute tracks on the fly, and each track corresponds to a midi channel. So for that purpose, the pads can respond to channels.
So it’s maybe possible to do what I’d like to make it do, but just haven’t figured out. But I’ve read documents and browsed menues, and have yet to find this feature.
Though the OS is still not 1.0, so even the developers are saying they’re not done with what they think the Pyramid should be yet.[/quote]
ah bummer… thanks for checking. that saves me some money =)

ok one more question: can it do unquantized recording with overdub?
cheers

Except the explanation Andreas mentioned, channels are locked to a track. Several tracks can share the same channel.
So you can for example have one track for notes, another one for cc, another for pitch bend, or other notes in view to separate chords on few tracks… many opportunities to organise your work.

No overdub recording, for sure.
Unquantized, not really, but offset can simulate it, with zoom mode to precise the Step on wich note is recorded.

Well, you have this interesting question for a while her twardowski (reference to another thread about Pyramid )
In fact, now I think that the answer depends on your workflow and gear gestion and the limits you encounter or modifications you want to bring to it.
The reference to ecosystem is relevant. Why change it if it correspond to your needs ?
Do the specific abilities of this sequencer can bring new and more efficient workflow ?
Linearity, chords, polyrythm and polymetrie are things you look for ?
Do beter integrated black trilogy is possible with Pyramid ?
Add a sequencer to groovemachine like your trilogy can appears overkill configuration if you think that 64 bars are enough to fulfill your aims.
My utilisation groovemachine is quite specific.
When I use Pyramid with Elektron (MnM, A4, OT, MD) it’s the center of my set.
I haven’t computer, nor recorder. The OT makes the works.
MD in AB/MNM in A4 then in CD.
Pyramid master that sends :

• Multimap on MD
  • Patterns changes or notes on MNM (when it notes, the MnM sequencer act like an internal one dedicated to sound shaping with trigless locking, like the sequencer of a MS 2000)
  • same on A4 (trigless, patterns, notes, chords).

The whole songs can be recorded in Pyramid, played and arranged. The OT can reccord the audio (near 6 min songs) and send samples.

I can altern patterns in a BAR fashion or linear way (my preference) to introduce long passages of music with no pattern, or solo (one finger chords and ambiance) all that recorded live in Pyramid in view to rearrange and avoid bad improvisations and permit the work on a song on several studio session.

Pyramid can also act like general cc mixer for Elektron gear.

In fact, the problem I encountered before was to remember how the different Elektron gear interact in the differents songs and configurations. Now, the Pyramid bring confort of being the conductor of my Elektron orchestra.

It’s the way I find that Pyramid isn’t overkill, but really confortable with Elektron gear.

I use it in other situations too (for playing with other during electrobeef, so i can imrovise keys with smart pads and scales), with a kind of assurance not doing terrible note inaccurane.
I also use my Elektron gear in standalone, with no Pyramid. I like them all !

A bit long, but may be useful.

1 Like

the promise of unhinging from what you call ‘64 / 4 at heart’ is precisely what peaked my interest. I tried to imagine how to integrate the pyramid with my elektrons without upsetting the ecosystem and my workflow within them and I would see it like so:
pyramid being the master clock and master (song) sequencer, sending program changes to the OT and AR for pattern change, but the patterns remain in the Elektrons’ internal sequencers. As for the A4, I’d use the
Pyramid for direct sequencing, omitting A4’s internal sequencer and taking advantage of the Pyramid’s nifty midi effects and all. But since the A4 is basically 4 independent monosynths with individual sequencers, it should be possible to say let the Pyramid drive track 1 and 3, but program notes in A4’s internal sequencer for tracks 2 and 4. right?

so I guess my question to the Pyramid-and-Elektron owners is if it’s possible to have the Pyramid change Elektrons’ patterns (including breaking mid-pattern?) and sequencing one of the Elektrons at the same time?

elenacortes

In fact, the problem I encountered before was to remember how the different Elektron gear interact in the differents songs and configurations. Now, the Pyramid bring confort of being the conductor of my Elektron orchestra.

‘conductor for the elektron orchestra’ really sold me on it. got a feelling my wife’s gonna hate me for yet another black box on the desk.

Unquantized, not really, but offset can simulate it, with zoom mode to precise the Step on wich note is recorded. [/quote]
Sorry - do you really mean there’s no way to overdub more notes to an existing sequence?

And, surely the sequencer must handle notes that are not all 16th/32nd notes? Otherwise it would not be at all different from an Elektron sequencer in that regard?

Bear with us, guys… The early adopters sometimes get bombarded with questions, sorry for that :slight_smile:

Certainly. The MPC has always handled midi files but this is the first modern sequencer as a worthy successor to the sequencing features of old yamaha boxes like the RM1x.

I searched for a solution like this before submitting and buying the OT, with the intention of using it to stream long audio files instead. Although I wouldn’t replace the OT in favour of a midi-only sequencer. Unless I paired it with something like a SP-404sx which I guess can stream long audio files too.

1 Like

It… appears they’re shipping the next batch of Pyramids today. I asked.

Certainly. The MPC has always handled midi files but this is the first modern sequencer as a worthy successor to the sequencing features of old yamaha boxes like the RM1x.

I searched for a solution like this before submitting and buying the OT, with the intention of using it to stream long audio files instead. Although I wouldn’t replace the OT in favour of a midi-only sequencer. Unless I paired it with something like a SP-404sx which I guess can stream long audio files too.[/quote]
This is interesting, because I go for a minimal rig. The Pyramid would replace the OT and be paired with another instrument, and that’d be it. And that instrument would have to be pretty flexible for it to be worth it, for me.
But for most others, who has more gear who operate differently, the Pyramid is an amazing option for just running an entire rig with different needs all from the same controller.

Unquantized, not really, but offset can simulate it, with zoom mode to precise the Step on wich note is recorded. [/quote]
Sorry - do you really mean there’s no way to overdub more notes to an existing sequence?

And, surely the sequencer must handle notes that are not all 16th/32nd notes? Otherwise it would not be at all different from an Elektron sequencer in that regard?

Bear with us, guys… The early adopters sometimes get bombarded with questions, sorry for that :)[/quote]
Not sure about the overdub, though it sounds unlikely, seeing as you can fill one track with a seemingly endless amount of midi data and it just takes it. But someone else with more experience can chime in here.
I’ve worked with the sequencer down to 64nd notes, to create some granular mayhem from the Volca Sample.

What I’d really like is the equivalent of a MIDI LFO, which the Octatrack has. For now, introducing random aspects of repeating sections is fairly limited. That’s a shame, given that you can tweak parameters to hell and back.

There is a Random feature, but it’s limited in what it affects.

But again - the OS is not yet 1.0. And these guys know what they’re doing, so I’m pretty sure there’s stuff like this around the corner.

Bear with us, guys… The early adopters sometimes get bombarded with questions, sorry for that :)[/quote]
Not sure about the overdub, though it sounds unlikely, seeing as you can fill one track with a seemingly endless amount of midi data and it just takes it. But someone else with more experience can chime in here.
I’ve worked with the sequencer down to 64nd notes, to create some granular mayhem from the Volca Sample.

What I’d really like is the equivalent of a MIDI LFO, which the Octatrack has. For now, introducing random aspects of repeating sections is fairly limited. That’s a shame, given that you can tweak parameters to hell and back.

There is a Random feature, but it’s limited in what it affects.

But again - the OS is not yet 1.0. And these guys know what they’re doing, so I’m pretty sure there’s stuff like this around the corner.[/quote]
I actually ended up checking this with the Squarp folks, too – overdub is the default method of note entry. In fact, there’s no other way to record notes.
And yeah, a MIDI LFO would make a lot of sense. They already mentioned probability is in the pipeline.

Ok, some precision about overdub :

Maybe I’m wrong, but overdub means that you can add and replace notes. In the Pyramid notes are compiled, so on a step, notes won’t be replaced but just add with no limits, that’s why I have said no over dub.

Sorry if I’ve been not clear.

Edit: so you will have to go in step mode (with sequencer still running) to erase manually the wrong notes. So in live situation it’s not very keen.

No, elena, “overdub” means you can record notes without erasing the previous ones.

Anyway, thank you so much for being such a precise source of information !

(Sauf que ça arrive juste quand je croyais avoir totalement étanché ma soif de nouveau matos… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. I fell to bad having wrote wrong informations.
(Pour ce qui est de ta soif de matos, j’ai bien peur qu’elle soit inextinguible :wink:)

Just add a Blofeld (w/ sample license as bonus) and you will get an EXTREMELY powerful compact setup!

Well I for sure can tell it happens.
Seems to be a good way to actually learn something ^^
Here at least we’re between nice people.

Et non, démon tentateur, je ne céderai plus au GAS !!
Cette année du moins :smiley:

I know it is just a cosmetic thing, but can you create a track (or midi file) and give it a meaningful name and save it.

What I’m trying to say is if I make a good sequence with some midi effects etc and I’m using a particular patch on my Virus TI would I be able to save the midi file / track with the name of the Virus patch?