Squarp Pyramid [compilation topic]

Haven’t found a single review (hands on). Very interested.

Thanks

Right now I don’t understand the appeal of using this with elektron boxes. You lose the ability to plock, right??

Still, it looks like an amazing sequencer.

Ok, I receive mine two weeks ago. But I hadn’t enough time to use it.

For the moment I really enjoyed it. Very efficient sequencer. Power full chords and scale implementation.

For me it change a lot of things. I don’t have any knowledge in music theory, and for instance it gives me the power to play improvisations with no false note or involuntary discordant chords.

Second point, its memory permit a better organisation and a easier way to keep my music session. Because the sequencer have polyphonie, polymetrie and polyrythm with ability to have up to 384 bars, it provides the possibility to reccord long live songs you can keep total or partially. So its a kind of work station midi, with powerful live manipulations.

About the fact to be over equipped when you use it with Elektron gear, it’s true in a way, but if you consider only the sequencer part of Elektron, this point of view can be discuss seriously. My little experience with this sequencer show me few examples of the fact that my creatives abilities with Elektron are really empowered. All the limits I had with Elektron sequencer, that I really like and have a lot of fun with, have disappeared.

I will publish soon a more detailed explanation of this gear in audiofanzine, as soon as I really have time to work more with it.

1 Like

Yes you loose part of triglocks abilities, but you can still locks variations of sounds. You only loose the notes trigs (because you put them on Pyramid). But you still may decide to put some notes. Need to anticipate the results.

1 Like

(french or english AF?)
can you put a focus on live improvisation please if you can? Thanks for the feedback.

Rozzbud, mon ami, ce sera en français.

Sorry for anglosaxons Elektronauts. But it would takes me long hours to write it in English.

ah ok :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have been keeping an eye on the Squarp for a while now, the sequencing on it makes Elektron sequencers look very dated I think, parameter locks aside it wipes the floor with Elektron in terms of the sequencer specs.

I understand that Elektron is more interested in DAW integration than standalone sequencer power now, but I can’t help thinking that had they updated their sequencers to similar specs to the Squarp then the machines would be almost unbeatable, because a tightly integrated sequencer and built in sound source will potentially be much tighter than one with no sound source that only sends midi data to external gear (such as the Cirklon and Squarp) Yes the Squarp and Cirklon send CV too, but not primarily.

I’ll continue to keep tabs on the Squarp and other sequencers, ideally though the Squarp would need at least 4 midi outs and some more trigger, gate and CV outs, to be a sequencing core in my set up. As it stands the midi bandwith of only 2 midi outs, when sending lots of note and some simple sparse controller data would most likely make the timing too bad for me. A shame given the number of tracks on offer. Still, I might try one at some point.

3 Likes

I think you’ve summed up my feelings about the Pyramid there almost perfectly. It’s still something I’m very much interested in.

A lot of that is down to the fact that although I’ve really clicked with the sound of the Monomachine, I don’t get along with the inbuilt sequencer at all. I find it great for p-lock modulation but frustrating for melodic work. I usually program sounds that respond to velocity (and note off) for expression and the Pyramid lets me play and sequence it as I would naturally.

Hoping to get one of the second batch, in my quest to go further OTB.

I’m hoping to get in on the second batch. Looks very intuitive and easy to use. Unfortunately agree with the comments about Elektron’s sequencers looking dated in comparison. I really hope Elektron don’t just rest on their laurels here and slow down only because they expect more people to sequence using a DAW. Maybe that is selfish.

I really like that the chord sequencing also looks effortless and seems to invite experimentation. If it goes as I hope it will make for a great studio centrepiece and will allow me to focus on mastering a single interface. At worst, I will turn it over to someone else and continue saving my pennies to buy a cirklon.

How can U guys be so shure that this sequencer is gonna be alot better than the elektron-ones ? - Have you used it yet ? I’ve learned not to judge Equipment before touching it or at least have opinions of users etc+… . something can sound great on paper , that dousn’t asshure it’s great in reality. and 1 thing I really love about the elektrron sequencer is the structure that reflects on the screen . < I mean the use of chains that can be repeated - and the things yoiu can do with that on the fly and live - AND with keeping an oversight - !!! MAYBE the Pyramid is good - or more interesting at some levels ; To say that it 'makes the Elektron sequencers out-dated before having tried it is easy… I’m waiting for the opinion of DEEP users…
And I might be interested to -
ANd thanx ELENACORTES for sharing yiur first expériences :+1:

I can’t be sure it is better, but the specifications certainly look more impressive, euclidean mode, proper individual track length handling, sequence fx, and the realtime changing of track legths whilst playing, but of course you are correct that without using it it there is a certain amount of speculation as to how it handles and how stable/solid etc.

1 Like

You are correct in saying that it is better to use the equipment before formulating an opinion on it. I am mainly going on the first user impressions on here, and on Gearslutz, and how they seem to corroborate what has been implied that can be done via the video. There are also a couple of user videos on YouTube that demonstrate some of these features. From all impressions and from reading the manual extensively the OS seems to be nearly complete, with many of the intended uses already implemented… It also appears to be stable and not that buggy. I’d also like to add that maybe a better way of saying it is that the intended feature list makes the Elektron sequencers appear outdated. By all intents and purposes it appears they have reached their goal at least for the most part as of this writing, before the full release in October.

Squarp team announced the futures implementations.

They will add FX, ability to loop between two steps and other improvements.

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/sequenceur-hardware/squarp-instruments/pyramid/forums/t.585959,squarp-instruments-pyramid-polyrhythmic-sequencer,post.8477997.html?utm_source=mailing-forums&utm_medium=e-mail&utm_campaign=Squarp+Instruments+Pyramid

1 Like

Here is the same message, but in english :

1 Like

Agreed. Come on Elektron, improve your sequencer! Your boxes could be so much more.

Elektron could maybe improve their sequencers , but they will never overcome the limit of 4 bars ( with a 1/16 note resolution ) in all elektron boxes !
Just for that, the pyramid is great tool : resolution bigger and number of bars per track much much more bigger

1 Like

but in the same way , SocialEntropy is going to make the " ENGINE " hardware sequencer witch , on the paper sounds also very good.
Did you ear about it ?

But to me, the fact that we apprently cannot save several projects ( no sd card ) is a big lack

Easy to say but I never found a better hardware sequencer + synth + parameter - locks system until now . +++ The most importand feature is that I keep oversight in a way that I don’t see happening in the pyramid.
I use the AK + the A4 and can see in aa glimpse where I am and mix sequences from both independant
Have a look on multiple chains in both machines - improvise loops - eit live - all without loosing the track + nobody has done better to my knowing. ++ Each Elektron has it’s own sequencer - witch isen’t the case for the pyramid I think they leave the pyramid far behind in many features. and I don’t want a machine tto decide for me wich notes are being playeD.
I never used the pyramid - so I can’t Judge it :wink:

Anyone have one yet?

Considering letting my MnM (which I use primarily as a midi sequencer lately) go and grab one of these instead. Seems like it could really make things sing over midi.