Squarp Pyramid [compilation topic]

PyraOS 3.2 released https://squarp.net/pyraos

1 Like

Did someone already try a setup where pyramid send midi to Elektron (in my case digitakt and Octatrack), so you can actually choose which sequencer to use on a certain sound? I guess it works perfectly fine to sequence a digitakt with a pyramid, but I am interested in how they can go togetherā€¦ For example sequence only 1 track on DT with pyramid. Or even blend sequences, like having an internal sequence on DT and then throw in one from pyramid (for example 1 note in euclidian mode to join the DT sequenceā€¦)
I read external midi takes priority on internal midi on the DT, but is this on a per note basis? Or per track?

And the same for other synths, can I send midi from 2 sequencers to 1 synth? I guess there would be conflict with the clock if both sequencers send oneā€¦

I am asking because Elektron and pyramid a both very different sequencers with different strong points. I love Elektron workflow, but sometimes I want to do something where Elektron runs short and pyramid shines.

Excuse me if already mentioned, but this thread is 430+ post long, and of course I can experiment and try out (eventually will), but I am preparing for a gig and donā€™t have too much time for trial and error. My pyramid arrives today and I would love to implement it in my live already :slight_smile:

I have the Digitakt and had a pyramid for a short timeā€¦ended up selling it as it was just too much for my setup. I decided I could live with the limitations of the DT for now.

When I had them both, I did use the Pyramid to sequence individual tracks on the DT, and that worked great. Iā€™m not sure youā€™d be able to sequence the same synth from both the DT and the Pyramid though as most only have one Midi-In jack. I assume you could control the DT with the pyramid though and then use the DT to control other synths if needed. So Iā€™m sure you could run the ones you want to use Pyramid features on from that, and then use the DT for other stuff, with the Pyramid as the main brain sending both Program changes and clock.

I didnā€™t do a ton of experiments thoughā€¦so I probably couldnā€™t answer most of your questions. Maybe that is at least a little helpful?

Yes thanks, I ended up playing around with pyramid and DT in stead of focussing on my live set, and until it has been awesome! On pyramid you can set the midi out to OUT+THRU. this way the destination gets midi from both DT and pyramid, if DT is master of course. Otherwise I have a merge boxā€¦
But first impression of the pyramid is really good!

1 Like

Hey has anyone figured out a way or trick to tie velocity of a trigger to the repeat function on the squarp?

7 Likes

really nice demos in the video

The ā€œwine bar pianistā€ really put things into perspective.

1 Like

This thing seems to have dropped off a bit. Anyone still using their Pyramids or are they fallen out of favor something else these days?

1 Like

I use mine as my main sequencer, I also have an RS7000 which is arguably a more capable sequencer but the Pyramid has a lot of creative sequencing tricks that I can do very quickly and Iā€™m not talking about random stuff but tricks you can do to create structured / thought out music. Itā€™s very very capable and I think a lot of its features are overlooked as being not that special but when everything is combined it adds up to a lot.

In my eyes the only other thing that compares from the research that Iā€™ve done is the Cirklon and then that isnā€™t outright better either, thereā€™s a lot for and against each of them. Saying that, I definitely hope to get a Cirklon one day but it wont replace me Pyramid :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been on the waiting list for a Cirklon for about 18 monthsā€¦kinda want something in the meantime :slight_smile:

1 Like

I recently bought mine, there really isnā€™t anything comparable other than maybe the Cirklon which is not readily available.

In terms of sequencing itā€™s the brain in my setup and coupled with a MIDI router it can control pretty much anything.

2 Likes

I canā€™t recommend it enough really, thereā€™s obviously things I wish it could do that it doesnā€™t but then thatā€™s the case with every sequencer Cirklon included. As Fotopaul mentioned, itā€™s great together with a midi router, using the USB output and the two midi ports I have 48 channels of midi to play with, very handy with some of my multitimbral synths.

1 Like

Still use mine, love it.

2 Likes

Imagine a mark III Pyramid which has the same hardware features of a Keystep Pro with all those extra cv/gate/mod connections, a keyboard and the smart pads :heart_eyes:

Oh no. Still great sequencer. Still using it a lot. So many way to use it : it can just be a super mega LFOs provider for AR or A4. Can use it as a chord learner then restitute them with one finger (you can have lot of pleasure noodling around chords, and why not adding a kordbot). Can be the centre of all your gear.
I must say that I use it with other sequencers because one sequencer is not enough. But itā€™s a piece you canā€™t ignore in an electronic music studio.
Great little beast, not perfect but very pertinent when it comes to elaborate complex music.
But you need also : a Cirkon, a Squid and a NDLRā€¦ a beatstep too. Itā€™s also possible to connect all those in your MPC live, which will facilitate the midi edition :crazy_face:

1 Like

The Pyramid is already on MK3 and the pads and keys is easily added with better quality than the Keystep Pro.

1 Like

still nothing comparable out there.
i mean so powerful and available for immediate purchase at the same time.

3 Likes

Still enjoying mine. I admit I occasionally consider selling it though I canā€™t really tell why. Keep in mind I have a very large number of hardware sequencers so I have other options which may lead me toward the sell feeling every now and then.

1 Like

2 years wait here now, but I intend to stick with the Pyramid, even though the tiny screen is getting annoying, the Pyramid has never crashed on me. 90% of what goes into my Pyramid is done in LIVE mode, then tidied up later. And I cant fault how simple it is to do that. I dont think the Cirklon can offer anything more than the Pyramid in that circumstance. So Iā€™ll be saying no thanks when my number comes up for the Cirklon.

2 Likes