Squarp Pyramid [compilation topic]

I wasn’t looking for a standard sequencer, so the Carbon really fits the bill. I really enjoy using it and find it to be awesome at generating patterns.

Anyone with the Pyramid and the Hermod?
Or ditched one for the other?
I played on my brother’s Pyramid and really liked it, didn’t take long to get my head round it and was banging out (ahem) tracks with it 10 mins later with a Nord D2/1 and Lead4/ A1…
I’m modular myself though now so the Hermod really fit the bill for me, but saying that I should point out that although I have 001 I’ve not been able to utilise it yet due to health problems :mask:
I have faith (maybe misplaced) that the updates will be thick, if not fast.

I did like the (look of the) Carbon but was suspicious, seems I was right according to @darenager, real shame as that looked like it could go places.
I don’t understand or like this ‘fake lifeboat’ approach to modules/sequencers…
It’s morally questionable and artistically impotent, but then again no doubt there are reasons behind everything… Sooooo :thinking:

Sequenzing my Blofeld, Pulse2, Digitone and Digitakt with my Pyramid… Works like a charm, is easy to setup and lots of fun to play with :slight_smile:

Anytime I do a 3/4 piece on step sequencers, I work around this problem by programming 48/64 length patterns. 12 steps times 4 is 48, so you have the usual 4 bars, just in a 3/4 tempo. It is troublesome though, to count the steps each time you want to quickly lay out a pattern if you don’t want to take any chances! Not a biggie to me though :slight_smile:

I really love the Pyramid, somehow i ended up with two of them :joy:

2 Likes

New OS released, 3.1 available here http://squarp.net/pyraos

4 Likes

I used to have one. I miss the feel of it. There was something really satisfying about using it

Sold mine and got a Kilpatrick Carbon. No regrets as the Carbon does things the pyramid sadly is not able to…

1 Like

Sequencer features is one long string of Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock machines.

2 Likes

Point in case :)…

How would you use Pyramid with Octatrack? Possible? Would it (Pyramid) add a lot of functionality to OT?

More control over compositional sequencing.

You can make a loop just about as long as you want and you can zoom in and out on you sequence

1 Like

Sold mine. After Deluge, couldn’t find the workflow satisfying. Editing existing sequences was a chore. Missing only the midi fx.

I think they make an unbeatably powerful pair, with the OT slaved to the Pyramid and the OT sending MIDI LFOs and CC sequences to modulate the Pyramid’s midi FX.

p-locking multiple CCs per step, setting up different time bases per track, and doing simple x0x style sequencing are all faster operations on the OT. and of course there are the non-probabilistic trig conditions that the Pyramid lacks.

but overall I prefer using the Pyramid for sequencing notes and chords, multi-bar automations, and creating and triggering different pattern variations per track. you can get the best of both worlds with the combination of the two, but of course you should be ready to navigate a lot more complexity and two fundamentally different menu systems. (I prefer elektron’s but accept the Pyramid for its unique capabilities)

4 Likes

Thank you, excellent description I guess it can do some crazy stuff.

…and thanks for that great workflow/possibilities/interaction description between OT and Pyramid on Squarp forum and link.

You really take it to next level, (sorry for the corny phrase) but it’s true.

1 Like

I’m considering trying out one of these, because why not, I’ve tried every other sequencer out there. How do you sequence multiple synths at once with only two midi ports out though? Lots of fiddling with midi channels? Or can you for instance sequence the elektron boxes via USB (via a computer)?

Like all MIDI sequencers, you assign channel numbers depending on which synth you want to sequence. MIDI connections to multiple synths can be made by chaining using MIDI Thru ports or adding a MIDI Thru box.

The Pyramid‘s USB port can send MIDI messages to a USB Host device (such as a computer). The Host can forward the messages on to any other instrument.

Cool. Thanks for the info! :slight_smile:

Got my Pyramid yesterday, and have only played with it for a bit, but it’s a lovely sequencer. Workflow is fast, and it’s filled to the brim with great features. Smooth hand drawn automation being one of them! :slight_smile: Euclidian sequencer and the chords sequencer with the smart pads are so effin nice. Also, it works great alongside the Elektrons I’ve paired it with so far (A4 and AR), program changes work smoothly (as opposed to with Ableton and Push, which were a nightmare to work with in that regard) - which means you can actually save your work and work on many machines at the same time without any issues (I work with a strictly Kit 1 saved to pattern A1, Kit 2 saved to pattern A2 etc regime). Fucking great. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another great thing about the Pyramid are the instrument definitions which allow you to set up your gear with cc’s and notes mapped so that they show up in the display, there are tons of them on the Squarp forum for lots of common and some not so common machines.

2 Likes