Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

Some thoughts:

• So. Much. MIDI. out.
  • Hosting dual projects is an interesting (and kind of weird) way to deal with loading-while-playing
  • Which I suppose allows for sequencing-while-playing, too? But that’s way too much multitasking for me.
  • Dear god that’s a lot of CV.
  • Interesting that polyrhythm/meter doesn’t even get a bullet point?
  • I love the way they do velocity (8 “pads” divided into 16 velocity zones) instead of sensitive pads (which I’m not skillfull enough to play :sweat_smile:)
  • SEQ is replaced by automation?! :flushed:
  • I guess they’re all in on patters-per-track. But my Pyramid-brain still really liked mute-maps.
  • But they added Sections, so I don’t care yay!
3 Likes

Damn, looks like song editing is just as painful as on Pyramid:

Screenshot 2022-03-01 at 18.19.53

This is by far the worst part of Pyramid right now. You have some patterns ready, and some sequences scheduled into a song, and now you want to add a new part into the middle of the song. Good luck doing this with one encoder and a menu.

3 Likes

This could be the hub I’ve been waiting for! 2+years on Cirklons waiting list I’ll probably just jump on this instead.

2 Likes

Dr.DreTheChronic

Dre knew what was up.

Sequentix may be about to see their waiting list shorten considerably.

I reckon so. That’s a really competitive price.

3 Likes

Trig conditions look comprehensive and a nod to Elektron, can’t see any mention of def files, which would be nice to have, drum lanes can be named though.

1 Like

Where are you looking, and does it mention character limit? The four character drum names on the Pyramid kill me.

This is way more interesting to me than I expected. MPE recording with MIDI host for my Linnstrument, plus easy sequence editing. Very tempting.

3 Likes

whilst natural, I don’t think comparing this to the Pyramid is the best approach…

sure there are similarities, but there’s also quite a lot of very big differences,
things that mean the workflow is going to be very different.

example:

this is something that can be used alot more creativity than just for transitioning between projects.

also patterns felt like a bit of an add-on to the pyramid (because they were added in later firmware) , whereas here they no doubt are playing an important role.

3 Likes

This has everything. Sorry Elektron, you’re late to the party. Oxi One killer too.

6 Likes

Yeah seems a different approach than Pyramid for sure, still I think currently there is room for both.

It would be nice if some compatibility and cross pollination emerges at a later date, but not essential/expected.

2 Likes

can someone who has a deeper understanding of these products tell me what this can do that the pyramid can’t? the pyramid seemed insanely overengineered already…

I’ll use this as my main sequencer and even sequence my DT with it.

2 Likes

I’m already thinking of selling my DT.

Edit : calm down Tchu.

7 Likes

This has the potential to replace a lot of gear for me. Potentially on the block being the Pyramid, Blackbox, SQ-64, and Tracker. Maybe the OT depending on how my 404 experimentation goes.

The Hapax isn’t cheep, but could in theory pay for itself (he says, rationalizing).

9 Likes

I really want to consolidate everything into one sequencer. Currently I use both the DT and DN to sequence all my instruments but if I could have everything handled from one sequencer I’ll be so much more happier.

2 Likes

I thought the point of hardware was the limitations. This just looks like a DAW except you get to press little rubber pads to input piano roll notes :sleeping: :sleeping:

Looking at the manual, I gotta say I’m already out. This seems to do everything but, because of this, it doesn’t look like it will be all that intuitive or much fun to use. Loads of secondary commands to learn, for example. It’s probably gonna be v programming heavy in my (no doubt unpopular) opinion.

4 Likes

the point of hardware is to make noise. same as itb.

1 Like

I was worried there were two screens so that each of the dual projects had a dedicated one. But this is actually pretty clever. On paper, it reads like it could really improve situational awareness and feeling of immediacy.

1 Like

I gotta see it perform out in the wild before I pull the trigger.

2 Likes