Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

Oh yeah, and I wasn’t ever too pressed on updates. I know there were some people on the Squarp forums that were acting rather pathetic about the whole thing. It’s more of just seeing the work done on other gear, like the Oxi, where there were several new features always being added and the Hapax hasn’t really gotten much of that. Especially when we know there’s things on the Pyramid that the Hapax doesn’t have yet like Midi Repeater (or delay, whatever it’s called).

But yeah, at the same time I found it mostly very stable and I liked the workflow a lot more than the Oxi. More I think about it the more I’m already missing it lol.

Maybe one day I’ll hop back on it, I really don’t have anything bad to say about the Hapax, it’s a great sequencer that will hopefully soon get even better.

1 Like

Mmmm… whassat? Sounds good, keep reading…

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

hanging myself with midi cable

2 Likes

I was glad to see a straightforward post on the Squarp community forum about plans for an upcoming HapaxOS bug fix release followed by a new features release:

15 Likes

Indeed, good to get a sketch of the situation and plans.

1 Like

I’m a new user of the Hapax and it’s a fantastic device.

I had the Oxi for a while, but to me the Hapax is better fit for my needs, in saying that the Oxi also has some wonderful modes which hopefully the Hapax will see in the near future.

The Squarp developers were holding off as much as possible on giving timelines and forecasts for the Hapax via their forum. However, it appears the release of the new Hermod is the straw that broke the camels back, and they’ve given a brief but concise outline for the new releases.

I do hope they continue to do this in some capacity as it will encourage more users imo.

1 Like

Good of the people at Squarp to post this!

Refreshingly honest, no-bullshit transparency.

Works for me.

12 Likes

New Firmware (beta) out now. Huge list of improvements/fixes on this one:

HapaxOS V1.14 BETA A

6 Likes

Woohoo!

Yeehaw, nice to see they are starting to get back at it. Not sure it needed a faster boot time, but ok :-)…

pretty much insta-boot now.
love the customization of pad colors.
random name generator is seriously random.

4 Likes

HapaxOS v1.4 is out of beta testing, and released into the wild!

6 Likes

Hope they sorted all out and added ice cream!

I think they did add ice cream:

Anyone try this? Maybe I don’t need my erm multiclock anymore!

3 Likes

Hey,

it seems that I can’t use Hapax transport button if it’s not the clock master. I have a message Hapax clock source = Midi In A

Since one year I used it to control my all setup transport. OT was master clock and it worked.

Anyone else ?

Thanks

Edit : I installed FW 1.14 today

Theoretically it makes sense, because (sounds bad, but that’s the technical terms) the slave isn’t the one to send commands to other slaves and it’s master. As slaves don’t know who the master is, just know they have to listen to incoming commands, messages from „wrong“ sources can lead to race conditions, weird behaviour in some situations. Maybe it caused those for some users and devs used the work on synchronisation to fix that.
On most of the devices I own, setting the device to slaves turns of controll messages too.

Some more info on what can happen:

Midi sync is done by the master sending midi clock messages regularly. The slaves receive them. Measure the time in between them and calculate the tempo they have to run on. That’s the reason why tempochanges can mess up tight beats over midi.
The Start-command just tells everyone to run. So a Device that receives that start command takes the tempo it knows and starts running, waiting for clock pages to come to sync to it. Some devices just update their tempo (and run out of sync that way) others bind their sequencing to that and „reset“ internally if needed. Either way, latency is an issue here. If the slaves starts running before the master does it, or dependent on tempo even if at the same time, both because the message
Comes from a wrong source, it can happen that clock steps are skipped, tempo gets messed up a lot etc. while working on my sequencer. It makes a big difference if you send the start directly before or directly after the clock message.
To have all that save is to just have the master do all that. And the only way you can attempt that is to forbid slaves to mess with that.

Thanks.
I understand what you’re saying. I never met midi or sync problem by the past, using my hardware this way. Elektron boxes give you choice for either transport or clock and work well together.
Introducing Hapax last year in my setup for sequencing and transport didn’t disturb the way machines worked together but this is just my experience :content:
I will change my midi setup if this is the solution

1 Like

If you want the OT to be the masternclock, you could just press play there, but I am sure you already know that.

2 Likes

It is what I already did :wink:

Answer from Squarp team :

" Hi Moses,

Thanks for your feedback!

Indeed, that’s a regression.

I will fix it as soon as possible and let you know.

Have a nice day!

Jean"

6 Likes

on sale for $999 at Perfect Circuit this Labor Day FYI

6 Likes