Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

That’s outrageous. I hope it is something that can be addressed in a firmware update.

4 Likes

Have you received it? It seems that they created my shipping label on june 23 but it has not been shipped yet.

Same thing here. Label created on 24, still not picked up. I’ve sent an email to ask about that… Wait n see.

New beta firmware looks gorgeous, it includes all the stuff I hoped to get down the line and some more. Can’t wait to give it a spin!

1 Like

If you don’t mind please share their reply. Instrument definition is ace.

This new update looks :fire:. Excited to try out the new arp modes and instrument definitions.

I tried out the new arps tonight - there are like 25+ of them and some sound really ‘fresh’ for want of a better word, arp patterns I’ve never heard before. Love ‘em!

3 Likes

lol yeah I just couldn’t figure out how to do it in the small time I first had (hold down a track button). I’ve been avoiding the manual so far, I always like to go into gear a little blind before reading the manual just to see how intuitive it is and so far it’s pretty intuitive.

Only reason I cared about the OP-1 is because it’s notorious for not working well with other gear and needing extra midi hubs to integrate so it’s really dope that I can just plug this in with USB and it works.

Got reply from Squarp, they said that the shipping labels are created in advance while they’re assembling the units, so no worries about the shipment status stuck on the first step.

I’m sending you a DM

2 Likes

glad to hear they are evolving the firmware in a good direction. by the time I get one, it might levitate objects, who knows?! all I know is i need to find a pile of $$$ so i can order one…

or… maybe it’s time to sell my Tracker and Beebo — since they’re just sitting there staring at me, waiting to be used again.

hmmmmm.

thanks to everyone sharing their experience.

1 Like

I have no idea how I scraped up the money back in February, but I did.
And this afternoon she is finally here, waiting at the DHL drop-off spot!

21 minutes till I’m out of the office! :upside_down_face:

Yes, I like MIDI sequencers.

8 Likes

Anyone else waiting for September batch? The wait is getting annoying lol

Still waiting for June batch

2 Likes

I’m waiting for the September batch. I am not annoyed. “Eyes wide open” as they say–meaning I ordered it in May, knowing it wouldn’t arrive until at least September. Yes, I’d like to have it now, but its a really new device, so in a way, I don’t mind waiting while Squarp revise the OS (which they already have fairly substantially since I ordered it) and users continue to build out device definitions for some of the midi gear I will control with it.

1 Like

Quick question.

Just bought an SP 404 mk2. I read that each bank is set to receive from one midi channel.

So, it seems the Hapax, picking one track on say, midi 5. That goes out to the SP 404 and then you can use note values to trigger the samples. So, essentially, the SP 404 would be a huge sound bank for one shots and loops for the Hapax.

Would this be correct in my thinking? I could have 4 pads on the SP with the same kick but different FX and trigger those whenever I need those sounds from the Hapax…seems super powerful.

1 Like

don’t have a 404 but that’s basically how it works with MPC and Pyramid – i set MPC to receive clock sync from Pyramid and then set one Track (MIDI channel) for breakbeats and vocal loops, a second Track (or more, theoretically) to play an MPC plugin instrument chromatically, a third Track for keygroup (multisamples) that i can also map chromatically, and a fourth track for Drum Programs if I want to have say a percussion set to augment my base RD-9 rhythm track.

for Pyramid, with 64 total Tracks and 32 Patterns per track, it’s essentially only limited by the MPC’s CPU how many additional MIDI tracks I wanted to add. presumably this would be the same with 404 if each bank is assignable to a discrete MIDI channel, and especially now that it has true chromatic multisampling available. the challenge I foresee transitioning over to Hapax with this setup is a hard (for now) 16 track and 8 patterns per track limit per project. would be better for triggering samples externally if there were at least 16 patterns, and more tracks overall. but within those constraints, Squarp boxes are generally solid at running full-featured samplers like the 404 or MPC

2 Likes

This is the exact, specific reason i bought an SP-404 MkII :slight_smile:
Come join the conversation over at the Squarp Forum SP-404 mkII + Hapax - HAPAX - Squarp Forum

1 Like

I see some of those answers were disappointment for not being able to do midi CC’s…where now it’s maybe possible.

But, for me, I have a Rytm, Drumbrute, and the SP 404. I just use the Rytm and Drumbrute for drums and If I can sample those sounds into the SP and then use the SP for drum duties with the Hapax, I can essentially sell the Rytm and DB…save some money for an OP-1F!!!

1 Like

Coming from a (euro)rack of analog drum sounds, I would sorely miss the immediacy and variation of my drum synths. Even if I sampled a 1000 kick drum hits into the SP-404, I would miss the ability to dial in new drums when I need them. It is an enormous part of the music making process for me.
I am head over heels for my SP, but if I had an AR also I wouldn’t sell the latter :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d love to keep the Rytm but I dont make music…other than ambient stuff for my drone videos…and it’s just a lot of money…I love it but I dunno.

1 Like

Well…got my pyramid and it works great with the 404. Selling the Rtym for sure now. Might get a UDO 6 desktop.

1 Like