Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

talking hardware design… that reminds me…

one interesting feature, you may or may not have noticed…
ALL the “labelling” for the buttons , is ON the buttons, none is on the faceplate.

so this means, if they add extra functions/shortcuts in the future
potentially , they could sell a new pad membrane with new labels.

important note : this is potential only… it could be completely uneconomic to do this… and, of course, theres no reason to believe this is anyway planned!

but I did think it was neat when we had to do this for the beta.
(and it was trivial to change it over )

1 Like

I think I ordered mine on Saturday and I still haven’t been charged…so, that’s the only info I have on that. Perhaps someone else who pre-ordered from batch #2 can share their situation? Have you been charged yet?

Thanks!

I ordered the day it was announced…was charged a few days later, but no shipping notice yet…sigh

Just got a shipping notice, it will be delivered Friday.

Ordered day it was announced, but payment went straight through.

1 Like

Same same.

Same same same

1 Like

Hermod itself would function as a Hapax cv expander, no? That’s more or less how I use the harmed with the pyramid now. . . (obvs this is a lot more expensive than the OXI solution)

Also, why am I so impatient for this thing? I’m like checking DHL for updates daily. Still in customs clearance!

1 Like

indeed, this is how I use my Hermod too :slight_smile:
though feels a bit ‘overkill’ … but I do enjoy having a separate sequencer in the rack ‘just in case’ :wink: (you can never have enough modulation sources!) (*)

BUT, the difference too my suggestion for an expander is:

not going via midi
this means higher resolution, and also higher data throughput … these are the primary advantages of CV vs Midi

also as an expander, the hapax would see this module as extra CV/gate channels (in and out)… rather than as midi channels, as it does with the Hermod.

the ‘issue’ I see is, its a pretty niche market…
not only is it only for Hapax users, but the subset that are into eurorack and that need more cv/gate channels.

this was why I suggest it could also support midi, so it could be useable with other sequencers etc (sure, not getting the advantage of direct CV,as above)) thus extending its reach a bit.
there aren’t that many midi->cv, cv->midi modules with a few more channels, basically the Shuttle Control/FH2/Poly 2/Hermod… (plus a couple more im sure)

anyway, I think its unlikely to happen, but we can dream :slight_smile:

(*) I have talked to Squarp about the idea that perhaps Hermod could perhaps have some features to explicitly support better Pyramid/Hapax integration.
as a company if you have a range of products, of course, they need to work standalone perfectly, but adding ‘bonuses’ for using combos of your products creates benefits for staying ‘in brand’…
we see this in other industries, e.g. look at things like Sony TVs.

of course, the ‘protocol’ you use to to this can be open/documented (e.g. documented sysex) , to avoid the inevitable accusations of ‘lock in’.
so would look rather similar to the pyramidi of the pyramid.

2 Likes

This is why I’ll never get rid of the Polyend poly, 8 trig outs and 24 cv outs. This will fit perfectly with the Hapax.

For those curious about the first batch shipments, I ordered on day 2 and just got an in transit update this morning. DHL says it will arrive in California early next week.

1 Like

So does the hapax not accept midi files like the pyramid?

One neat thing about Hapax’s song mode is you can switch to PERF mode whilst it’s playing and jam around with pattern changes etc. and at any point switch back to the song and have it continue playing.

1 Like

Guess you mean definition files? It will have something similar soon

Yeah that’s really neat. I can think of ways how to implement that feature in the arranger mode I suggested as well though :slight_smile: for example: when you switch to performance mode, it just stops the playhead in the arranger view. Whenever you want to continue the arranger, you can switch back and it will go further where it stopped. Alternatively, you can first change the position of the playhead to a different section in the atranger and then continue from there :wink:

No, I don’t believe you can load midi files in like you can on the Pyramid - I’ve not actually done that myself though so wasn’t sure how big a feature it was - do you use it much?

I really wished it would be usb powered…is it?

No, but you could probably power it from a usb battery if you get the right usb-> dc adapter

Yeah, would be neat, if you could connect it directly to a USB host, which powers it at the same time. The pyramid could do as far as I remember.

No doesn’t import/export midi files.

honestly it didn’t work that well with pyramid … quite a few had compatibility issues with daws.

But perhaps they might add it, if it’s a popular feature request ?!

Yes but pyramid would have been pulling much less power ( all the pads , dual mcu, dual screens)

1 Like