Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

4 Likes

small things, but this made my day
I love Jeremy’s videos so much , to get a shout out was fantastic to wake up to :slight_smile:

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 13.46.23

25 Likes

Now that I finally started using the polend tracker as midi sequencer this thing comes along. Might replace the tracker. Oxi one also looks great… got time to compare them now until june it seems

3 Likes

Yeah the oxi one has way less features tho. Which can be good depend what you need

1 Like

I also think one benifit of the hapax is that it comes from a company with an experienced team that has been making sequencers for years and not an indigogo startup. I have had so many bad experiences being an unwitting beta tester with short-lived startups I would never do it again. With squarp I know I am getting a full featured product right from the start with years of support in the future.

8 Likes

same.

To be fair OXI have proven an exception and delivered a very nice unit.

Both machines seem relatively fairly priced. given the features gap. I have an OXI and a pyramid; will take a bit of time to consider if sell both and get a hapax makes sense as one box would be nicer than two.
I just have a psychological line in the sand that if the complexity gets to a certain level, I’ll switch over to the DAW., so more in a the camp of needing a capable sketch box than a dedicated turn-my-back-on-the-DAW does-everything box. I remain tempted however!

5 Likes

THIS

2 Likes

Yes, but that price, (and it’s plastic body) And it’s not battery powered. :frowning:
I am keeping the Deluge, and went with the OXI One, both units can be truly portable.
I believe in the updates that will come, but like that Squarp, has brought out features, that the OXI team may consider adding.

5 Likes

Do the preorders get charged right away?

Yes, they do fit in slightly different niches.

For me the biggest advantage of the Hapax is the number of tracks 16 vs 4 for OXI) and that the pattern view shows all patterns of all tracks in 1 view. The Oxi does have more tracks if you count the multitracks, but they are monophonic and you can’t see (nor launch) them similtaneously with all other tracks.

I do hope Squarp will add easy note length input by holding a note and pressing a subsequent note. And I hope they allow for an alternativr arranger mode similar to the Deluge (using the grid to compose your song out of patterns instead of linking sections)

2 Likes

Im not sure I really seen the difference?
on the hapax, you select a set of patterns , then click new section (if you use the default name its two clicks on the encoder)? you can then use with or without a song (launch section is select + clic)

the advantage of this is you can name the sections, so you don’t have to remember what they are :wink:
you can rearrange order etc
it naturally leads you to a place where you can arrange a ‘song’ should you wish.

anyway, its one of those suck it n’ see areas, once users get it in there hands, they can see if they need an ‘alternative view’ or not.

ps… I think the deluge design is hugely influenced by not (essentially) having a display, and its done a great job pushing that philosophy (sometimes a bit too far :wink: ) .

as for OXI One, more I see/hear/read … the more I think they are very different markets.
and of course, you’ll get fans of both - as for some, each will meet ‘exactly’ what they need.
also buyers bias is a thing … as is our time investment,
its something I recognise about myself too … I don’t think you can be unbiased if you invest a lot of time in a product… simply because you get to knows it best and worst side, better than others.

the plastic body is really a non-issue, I didn’t even notice until they mentioned it, its very solid, hard ABS.
I guess the question is … if you treat it roughly, will it break? frankly, I doubt it… and if you don’t look after something like this, you’ll be more likely to damage screens/encoders/pads!
if it did crack (mostly likely outcome with plastics) Im sure Squarp could sell you a replacement shell pretty cheaply. … and having been inside the Hapax, Id say it’d be very easy to take apart and replace.

scratching? not seen any on mine, and Ive been moving it around A LOT in my studio whilst testing it with different gear/setups in last few months… hardly ever stays in the same place :wink:

3 Likes

About the Hapax vs Oxi it really depend what you need. I wanted an analog step sequencer on steroid, i think the Oxi is the best thing since sliced bread :).

Sure if you need something to sequence all your midi synths and want to be dawless etc the Hapax seems to be a better choice i guess if you are willing to pay double price.

Whats nice on the Oxi is : 8 Cv and gate, 5 AND 10 v gate (i need this), support Hz/V (again i need this), flexible routing, envelops, parameters per step (i prefer that way of working), battery powered etc.

I will probably get both in the end (because the Hapax looks very nice) but my Oxi is staying with me since the Hapax cannot replace it.

4 Likes

yeah, If you’ve seen my hapax/eurorack video
you’ll see I adore my Frap Tools USTA… its not replaceable any of these more ‘step based’ type sequencers… and leads to very different places.

I think the OXI Pipe was a clever (and cost effective) way to have a one cable solution to eurorack.

What I’d love is if Hapax did a CV expander via USB , sure it’d not be as cheap (as OXI Pipe is passive) , but USB could handle many more CV channels… Id really love 16 cv 8 gates out, and 4 cv/gate in.
very feasible project, squarp has the expertise (from hermod)
the question is… is there a market for such a module?
(perhaps it if it can have an additional midi->cv mode, that opens it up a bit)

2 Likes

Main difference is the linear workflow and being able to build a structure on a more “granular” level, for example you can easily make little drops and lead ins at the boundaries of a section, so it can be a bit more flexible than clip based song building, although not always. You can easily shift stuff around in groups or isolation for just 1 instance, crop and extend - all of which is doable in a clip or pattern based environment but requires more copying and pasting, and each unique instance would need all the tracks copying to a new instance, even if only a couple of things change. By contrast the Deluge arranger allows for just changing the parts you want, without the need to duplicate the stuff which stays the same.

There are other advantages (and disadvantages too) but in summary the difference is a bit like Abletons session view vs arrangement view.

3 Likes

The biggest advantages of the Deluge arranger vs the (current) Hapax Song mode:

• You can “see” which patterns are playing and when they are playing, so it gives a much better overview of the whole song.
  • Using the grid, you can just add a pattern at a desired point in time. No need to first find out which section etc. So it is easier to make changes in the timeline.
  • It removes a lot of steps in the proces, so it is much quicker: just add a track anywhere you want. On Hapax you first create separate sections, then link them together. You need to rename each section, otherwise you get lost very fast, which takes time.

It also adds the possibility to records a performance into the arranger and even record automation into it.

I guess if you don’t see the advantages, you should check out some video’s on yt about it. I think it is brilliant. Would be awesome if something similar would come to Hapax.

But I mainly ordered the Hapax to use for live performance and it seems brilliant for that! Much better than the Deluge, since on the Deluge you can only see 8 clips of tracks at once, while the Hapax shows you all 8 patterns of all 16 tracks at once! That’s what I have been wanting the Deluge to do for years (and ultimately made me sell it)

4 Likes

ah, thanks @mprinsen , I get it now

so, you directly place the patterns on a linear timeline.
sure, the major benefit of that approach is you are not “defining” which combinations of patterns you are using up front. these combos are simply what ever happen to be overlapping on the timeline.
(does it support looping of certain sections … without manual intervention?)
nice.

perhaps Squarp would be interested in doing that , I don’t know…
whilst I can see how this had some advantages (and likely disadvantages), musically you can likely achieve similar results either way…

it’ll be interesting to see how this progresses.
as I said, the deluge had to figure out how to cram this all into a grid format without the aid of a screen… which its done a great job of.

whereas, perhaps Squarp are evolving a bit more… they are coming from the pyramid with a screen and only 16 ‘steps’… suddenly having a big (rgb) grid, and 2 screens … lots of new hardware and possibilities, so settling on how to use all that new hardware , I can see being iterative.

2 Likes

Very nerdy question, but do we know what microcontroller the Hapax is built on/how much RAM it actually has?

I believe its dual MCUs
(rather than dual core, since when you update firmware, it flashes 2 mcus!)
specs say : RAM: 32MiB

I don’t know what MCUs, I forgot to look! (*)
(many are using H7 so, id not be surprised if thats what’s used… but thats a complete guess, and then which sub model)

theres also another interesting design aspect… when we had the odd bugs in Beta, the UI could freeze us out, but the even processing/performance would continue unharmed.
so the UI handling appears nicely separated from the event handling.
(I don’t know if thats down to separate cores/code or separate mcu)

once others have had it for awhile, and perhaps when I get my production unit - I’ll take a looking inside again… perhaps a mini teardown type video… but I don’t feel this is ‘right’ on this unit, and also whilst ‘the paint is still wet’ :wink:

(*) I had to change the pads at some point during beta for a new layout, and so had it open … but was keen to try new layout, and irc ists a dual board, so couldn’t see without going ‘deeper’. but i will say it look extremely neat and tidy inside, look well thought through.

2 Likes