Spooky cicada siren sound in Indonesia

That is mental. I love it.

Cheers , Phase 4 looks cool but never heard of it before so will check it out if it is viewable online to watch, you may or may not recall a flick from the 70’s called “food of the gods” where insect and rats eat some porridge like food that spills out of the ground and mutate into giant rats and insects with the human heroes hold up in a house, totally b-grade but I loved it when i was a kid

1 Like

Glad you liked it, was freaking mind bending hearing it in the forest

1 Like

I bet it was! It was mind bending just hearing the recording.

thanks for uploading the video! that’s crazy. i can hear why the Tarsiers are nocturnal – there’s no sleeping through that shit! :smiley:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FNdRzv8XmPV1AV5a96ldYVtBBtp_CjOv/view?usp=sharing

Morning Ubud vibes.

Very haunting indeed.
Amazing at how different they are to the ones found here.

We have many variety of cicada in Japan, each with their own cry. Originally being from the west coast of Canada I had never heard one before. They sound very cool, but have had a few summer recording sessions “ruined” by their call… I didn’t mind but the artists I was recording weren’t keen to keep them in the mix :slight_smile:

Here are some of our variations.

1 Like

I’d refute that.

I was sprayed on my way home from dropping a child at the school bus by a local council spraying road sides with glyphosate in 30kph winds. Despite flashing my lights, pulling of a steep embankment and stopping he continued spraying and my vehicle was enveloped in a thick cloud of said biocide. I suffered immediate mouth ulcers, headache, respiratory distress and other symptoms. When I called the hospital they suggested the only thing they would do would call the poisons hotline. When I did this they told me there could be no such symptoms because glyphosate was “only an irritant” (despite the WHO defining it a "probable carcinogen, major lawsuits won in the US and a plethora of papers describing said symptoms available in a cursory web search) and could not possibly be caused by the spray. When I contacted the council to confirm what the chemical used (despite having BOM data showing the spraying clearly in contravention of their own spray policies) they suggested they’d “checked with the boys” and that there was no problem, and went so far as to suggest I was to blame for not going to the hospital!

A couple of months prior about 40km’s North the council had killed 100’s of mature trees as a result of such roadside weed spraying.

I’ve watched spray rigs become the largest machines on properties in major food growing regions over the last decades, and farmers in the region of my birth now speak of “the spray season”. I recall ads in the 80’s for Roundup who’s tag line was “it’s like a plough in a drum”. It’s a given now in Australia to use glyphosate as a desiccant prior to wheat harvest for example.

I agree that cockies have, on the whole, become more mindful of environmental degradation in the last 40 years, and local landcare groups have done significant repair, but chemical use in Australian farming is out of control. Added to that corporate land clearing for unsustainable agricultural practices is continuing full steam ahead. At the end of last year with millions of hectares burnt in the middle of the worst drought on record I saw fresh broad acre clearing for cotton growing in NW NSW. I have a friend who is an ecologist who surveyed the conditions of the Murray-Dowling in a long term study over a huge area, and he suggested he would not even touch the water in the lower ends of the Murray, let alone swim in it because of the level of agrochemical contamination!

Even as the fires were slowing and Australians were locked in their houses at the outset of the pandemic, NSW forestry was busy logging what remained of a decimated Koala habitat in NSW. Scott’s “SARScov2 economic recovery comission’s” plan is to “recover” by removing environmental protection legislation and maximise fracking, pipeline building and other jobs for the boys.

Sorry to rant, but I see nothing encouraging in the broad trends in Australia regarding land management practice, and the data supports that pessimism…

Edit: Cicada sounds, on the contrary, are encouraging and cool. We had a season here a few years back (apparently there’s a big one every 17 years or so) where the volume made it painful to be outside at certain times of the day, and the phase differences coming from various direction set up a “beating” in the head! Thanks for sharing them @Totem

1 Like

Spending $10.9bn on settlements but keeps on refusing to admit that it is toxic shit…

1 Like

Civil suits have far less of a burden for evidence than criminal courts.

The scale of our agriculture that doesn’t take biodiversity into account is a much bigger problem than Roundup.

1 Like

I will admit to being one of said cockies, 4th generation, so I’ve been at least ancestrally complicit in having the wool pulled over eyes by corporate mendacity…but it’s impact is telling…driving at night 40 years ago one would need to pull up every 50 miles to scrape accumulated insect debris off the windscreen, now one can go for many 100’s of km in the food growing plains of NSW (at least) with barely a flick of the wipers on a summer evening.

Which is why it’s all the more encouraging to hear recordings of large bodies of insects. Thanks again @Totem

What are trying to say with that?

Of course. But the agriculture leviathan will not change course with one push. Many battles like this one need to be fought.