Splitting midi notes in Ableton, HOW?!?!?

So I use capture quite a bit but a massive issue I find is when I find a section 1 bar in a 8 bar midi clip I can’t split it?!?!? In arrange I use cmd+e and that visibly splits the clip but upon going into clip view the midi notes still don’t start at the start of the clip but have the old positioning which is visible, when I consolidate after cmd+e all notes that start before the new midi clip disappear, how do I cut a section of midi so it cuts the notes as well???

I don’t use capture very often, but you can always just move start and end markers and then delete all notes you don’t want to keep, but actually after splitting (click at the place you want to split at and use split command) and consolidating a clip (select the clip in arrangement view use the consolidate command) you should have everything seperated.

Doens’t work?

1 Like

I usually crop my capture clips

1 Like

thanks for the input guys, unfortunately none of the above work. it seems if you crop/split any part of larger midi clip, any note that is larger, in particular starting from before your crop split point will have its start point still prior to you new cropped clip, this means, if you consolidate it removes any notes with a start point prior your new clip start point

now having said that i managed to find a comprehensive M4L device that offers a slice tool where i can just click the points i want cut, its a tad clunky but does the job in the best possible workflow for me

I know it has been three years but… which is the m4l device you commented about?

2 Likes