Splice

I love the concept of sampling, but splice and these other platforms just don’t feel right to me…

The idea of hiphop producers searching through endless crates of obscure old records to find cool loops, sounds or stabs and then working hard to make them fit together to make something new is something completely different then having a membership of a service which provides whatever perfectly fitting loop of the kind you are looking for.

It does blur the line between producing something new, and being a dj who plays/combines other peoples music. To me, splice feels more like the latter, like youre not really making something new, but just combining loops.

I can see people using splice loops to add to the things they play themselves though, but thats a different approach I cant front on.

1 Like

If I was running Splice I’d make sure you sample some 64 kbps MP3 :grinning:

Does anybody know if that’s the case?

I find it really useful for collaboration, I haven’t even looked at the sample side.

Used splice, tried loopcloud, canceled splice, never looked back

“I’d rather hear a sampled 909 hi-hat than a weird, boring white noise sound they made because they didn’t want to use a [sample]” :joy:

I don’t want to sound harsh or be an ***hole but, do peoples really manage to listen to this guys talking for 10 minutes straight ? I lasted two minutes and I started to feel strong pain…

1 Like

I watched his videos about 2 years ago… and yeah it was tough. But he is a good kid and gives a lot of knowledge and projects out for free :slight_smile: so that was kinda a reimbursement.

2 Likes

I’ve been watching him the last couple years as well and his music production only keeps getting better. He can produce a lot of different styles of music which is impressive to me.

He’s also getting signed to some big techno labels like 1605. That gets props from me.

Yea. He’s good.

2 Likes

I use samples in every song I do. I will take a sample and turn it into something entirely new or just use a short snippet of it… Sometimes I will use a full drum loop to write the other parts around it and then remove it and do my own drums if I don’t feel like writing the drums first and have a vibe.

I can tell you, very rarely does a sample ever fit the song you’re working on, you always (I, at least) have to put a lot of work to make it fit within your song. I’ve never successfully found a loop that I can put in there and it fits perfectly so I leave it like that. And I’ve sometimes spent hours trying to find a vocal sample, only to then decide to not use a vocal cause nothing works :man_shrugging:

Regarding the whole thing with people who make songs of only mixing and matching loops leaving them as they are and adding reverb and compression, those producers must be really amateur :man_shrugging: tough not even when I was starting did I ever do that :thinking:

Lastly, rex loops are brilliant to re-play in your own way!

I don’t use splice, btw, I think you got to pay for their samples, I use the free backup thing they have. I do however use loopcloud :grinning:

I got the $5 a month Noiiz subscription when I got my studio set back up and ended up with two new samplers (DT and M:S). I have to say I rarely use it. I don’t think it is a bad service ($5 a month for 300MB that rolls over). But I’ve got a couple Legowelt vintage synth packs on my DT and some other house/techno basics packs on the M:S; I just don’t find myself wanting for too much too often.

Hey does anyone have some packs they would absolutely not go without after you’ve cancelled your subscription? Asking for a friend. This friend of mine has downloaded all the one shots in the world tho, so maybe soundscapes and breaks. IDK, let me know so I can relay this to my friend.

Leave Britney Alone. Lol but really this guy is dope, his tracks are fucking preem.

I’m having an issue with Splice samples on my Mpc Live ll.

When choosing samples on Splice I can see they’re displayed as WAV files, but when I transfer them to the Mpc they’re displaying as Flac files. They can’t be previewed of played back. When you scroll through samples in the sample edit menu there’s no graphical display, but the name of the sample is shown.

Anyone else having this issue? I’m waiting for Splice to respond.

Edit: Some samples showing as Flac files on the Mpc DO actually play. So it seems random. Last night I download 54 sounds from 1 pack, but none work.

Criticizes the synthesizing of one’s own drum sounds as unoriginal… and then trumpets the use of the 909 hat. That’s… something.

…And pretends one can’t make a big techno kick out of a synth ? Someone has a lot to learn.

1 Like

and starts the video by trying to sell his own samplepacks before coming to the actual content.

:man_facepalming:t5:

Who cares what you use. No one can tell.
If the track is good…then it’s good.

I hate youtubers

By getting a free trial on Splice with my recent buy of an MPC One, I got the opportunity of trying those “new” “sample distribution services”.
I’m amazed by how bad it is designed in comparison of their illegals containers… But yeah, I guess a sample junky cant really complains when given free samples uh.