Splice

Anyone into splice.com (or sounds.com)?
Love it
Use it with mpc live
Think it is amazing with Dt and ot

1 Like

Splice is great! I use with Analog Rytm MKII a lot.

For example, load a few atmospheric samples, chop, layer and sequence them. It’s easy to come up with something inspirational, a song starting point.

I’m hating it, I made my account with MPC Live, I managed to download some samples to my Live without downloading their plugin, now for some reason Splice won’t let me add any sound to the Live unless I install their bloody plugin.
The idea itself is great, the execution is making me sure I won’t renew my subscription at the end of the trial period, which is a shame as it’s a treasure trove of sounds.

2 Likes

I’m on the free trial. Used it for an hour and it’s not really for me. I guess I’m just not really a loops guy and would far prefer building my own X bar loops and ideas

What’s in Splice does sound great though and on Mac at least it is very slick.

I’m using noiiz.com. :heart_eyes:

what is the reason to go ‘sounds, slice or noiize’?
are they very different?
Anyone had better content?
Other reasons?

I don’t know about sounds.com, but noiiz is great because it allows unlimited sample downloads, but there is far less content. Splice has a vast and superior sample catalog, but you are limited to 100 or 300 downloads per month, based on subscription. A plus of Splice is you can rent-to-own many top of the line VST instruments and effects.

EDIT: also note, splice sample download credits roll over. So if you have any unused downloads they will add on to your next month credits.

1 Like

Love Splice. It’d be cool if it was integrated into Ableton’s samples or folders. Good stuff though

1 Like

Splices loops are ok, but the real useful tool is as a cloud repository with versioning for your Ableton Live (or other DAW) tacks. You can save to the cloud and retrieve the projects on any computer. Useful as a backup and managing versions.

3 Likes

Splice sucks HARD.

2 Likes

Has anyone used Splice for music version control or collaboration?

Because that was it’s initial purpose, I think?

I’ve got ONE song loaded on there that I’ve yet to pull into my new computer.

The plugins/samples thing is a separate thing entirely- but if that portion of Splice works then i can’t hate their hustle

Why?

I must admit that I changed my mind about it.
I have a 3 months trial for my Mpc Live and I used quite a few of my 300 free credits, it’s just quick and convenient and more importantly, easily sorted as opposed to my messy library. Not sure I would renew my subscription but I got a good value out of it

1 Like
  • Shit UI/UX

• remnants left in computer, pain in the ass to track down all the bits to uninstall. (Mac) (should make an uninstall)

• staff are totally unhelpful

• lots of repeats

• samples sound good tho, just a drag getting them

1 Like

I installed the trial i got with the Live, and promptly removed it after two hours and will now wait three months to see if they start to bill me, even tho i cancelled my subscrip already.

I wager i will be billed and have to start cancellation hell. Expected after seeing how sloppy the whole thing was.

I keep thinking I’d like it but then feel somehow dirty about it…something about downloading ready made sample packs rather than making my own, lol…in terms of user interface, I still haven’t worked out how to choose and download samples away from my Mac/their Splice macOS app…not all that convenient. Yet I remain tempted, not least because of the MPC Live integration.

I’m also intrigued by tracklib.com, where whole tracks can be downloaded for flipping and chopping (and released at a fixed cost) rather than individual samples. Seems a little more within a creative/productive paradigm than just downloading one shots and arranging them, but I’m aware that this bias is probably quite stupid.

1 Like

splice is awesome! need a vocal? need some stab shots? need whatever? load up splice and get going.

whats nice is that you credits transfer to the next month. I spent the last two days clicking the download button so much my fingers almost started bleeding.

with a load of credits I pick a theme of sounds I want to download get going. that way I can categorize right away.

1 Like

Anyone using Splice with An Akai Force, or MPC?

I’m trying to delete all the unwanted Splice samples. I can delete them from the Force itself but i can’t see an obvious way of removing them from Splice. I can remove them from the Splice folder on my Computer but if i Sync the Force with Splice the deleted samples/packs reappear on the Force.

Thanks

Reply from Splice.

“Thanks for writing in. Unfortunately, we don’t currently have that feature at this time. We’re glad we have users like yourself who let us know what we can do to improve our platform and the user experience. We’ll share your feedback with the Product team and use it as insight!”

That’s ridiculous.

Looks like i’ll be deleting my account then, as i’m a bit OCD about unwanted samples.

:rofl: Brutal.

I opened their site when I got my Live, and immediately closed it. Junk!

1 Like