Speculation: Any new Digitakt updates on the horizon?

Probably.
I guess if the input of each effect track can only read direct from RAM and the RAM write speed isn’t fast enough to do real time speeds?
But even at that, if you can real time monitor and also send via overbridge, in my mind it’s just a simple case of swapping the pointer which would normally point at a sample address to point at the input buffer.
It seems like a software issue rather than a hardware issue, so it seems like a solvable “problem” at least which gives me hope (until someone can explain exactly why it’s not possible, I have hope ;))
Even if you had to sacrifice X/128 RAM slots to do real time input to make more room, I’d be happy haha
Anyway peace, I’ll wait for NAMM (im)patiently.

I last remember Ess saying that it hadn’t been investigated extensively yet.

What were the more detailed findings?

Hey I was thinking about that message :

Stereo’s coming. 'Tis the season for it.

It’s the one thing I can imagine already on the drawing board, some Elektron people must’ve gone “Really? Mono?”, whereas some guy went “Hey, we’re giving them a drum machine that can sample, mono’s fine for the purpose”, and then they’d go again “Really, though? Mono?”

Until the last mono guy standing just gonna cave and stereo sampling happens.

1 Like

I would think that’s pretty unlikely, because surely that’s pretty much double the processing on everything up to the effects?

2 Likes

No idea. We don’t know how the thing’s wired. I used to work with the Playstation2. There was what you thought it could do, and then what it could actually do, once you pried it open and rewired it by software alone. The shit you could get the PS2 to spit out, once you’ve gone deep into it.

Elektron’s software seem to work the same way. They threw in midi sequencing in the analogs not long ago and conditionals in the OT awhile back. I’m sure there’s all kinds of things you could get the Digitakt to do, once you’ve learned its insides really well, which I imagine their devs have now.

1 Like

I guess if you were super sneaky you could just move/process the mid/side data rather than L/R, so not necessarily double… but I still think it’s pretty unlikely as I think mono is by design really.

as you say, who knows though! and if it happened no-one’s going to be unhappy about it.

But with sacriface all midi control from OS it could give some extra dsp power for extra fx

If Elektron decided to squeeze more power from the existing hardware it would come at a cost of unique highly skilled man-hours and it is difficult to see how the present hierarchy would permit this when the same human resources could be deployed towards new products (maybe a wavetable synth in DN/DT format). The price softening on the Model:Sample indicates that this format does not as yet sell as well as the DT/DN range - though presumably it is much more profitable to manufacture.

I think they will introduce a final iteration of the DT shortly. Let’s hope they’re feeling generous.

1 Like

I emailed them a simple request for stereo passthrough a little while back. I suggest anyone who is passionate about it to do the same.

I think that if we ever see stereo samples in the DT, it will be at the cost of an extra track, which would be fine for me. Link the parameters of two tracks together for stereo. Or something like that.

3 Likes

It’s funny that people often say the Digitakt sounds better than the Octatrack when they try them out in a store, and yet over here we’re wishing for stereo.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind the Digitakt saving its samples in stereo, but still only playing them back in mono. At least then I’d have stereo stems to use later, when arranging.

You can do this with midi loopback, setting the two audio tracks to the same midi channel and then allowing knobs to send data int+ext. don’t forget to hard pan.

1 Like

What about sample slicing? Out of the picture? Really doesnt seem like it wud be much of a hard one to implement as you can already do it by p-locking the sample start, slicing would be a great QOL improvement but maybe it’s not possible?
I’ve heard the “get an octatrack” on a lot but I still think I’d prefer the digitakt with some more advanced features instead!

2 Likes

I think things that would make sense would be, making single tracks have sounds locks mapped to chromatic or external drum pads for single track live jamming, bandpass filter, some more enhanced features around the pattern chaining (they said they were working on something like this forever ago not sure they gave up though) and a velocity mod matrix. After all that then I would think some more radical updates would make sense. I think the Wave Creator Ess made would be really neat to see as a built in mode for the digitakt as a way to create single cycle waves all on its own.

3 Likes

…there migh† be hope for truu stereo input monitoring and channeling through for fur†her interface input recording…but no chance for stereo processing internally and sampling in stereo…

big part of takts better punch through is exactly the limitation to mono samples ONLY…
that decision was ment to be for good reasons…not some sort of compromising…

whoever was involved once in a truu m/s mastering procedure, knows what mono can do better and what stereo information “left overs” really are…

besides the basic rule…always work with what u got…

2 Likes

THIS

And THIS

Just had a go around with a Digitakt at my local Guitar Center. That thing sounds so punchy! It seems like it shines in Mono.

1 Like