‘Special’ USB pcie card

With Overbridge getting close now I’m looking for a USB card for my PC.
I’ve been doing a little research and have found out you can buy cards that have four USB3 ports BUT with four independent controllers. This means each port has the full bandwidth available.
I’d like to connect RYTM mk1 and A4 mkI, Digitone and Digitakt and also a Virus TI2. In theory this should be possible.
The cards I’ve been looking at are these:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4-port-startechcom-quad-bus-pci-express-(pcie)-superspeed-usb-30-card-adapter-with-uasp-sata-lp4-pow

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/legacyproducts/allegroprousb3pcie.html

Does anyone have any experience with these multi controller cards? Do they work well?

Thanks

Why?

Q - is it better to have 4 x usb each with its own controller to ensure each elektron / virus has enough bandwidth.

or…

will they be fine plugged into usb port via a hub ?

personally , i’d guess the quad buss would work better especially with Virus also in the mix but i’m unsure what bandwidth is needed even with rytm,digitone,digitakt plugged in.
presumably its close to 36 audio channels with those 3 boxes. (inc ins , multi outs , main outs)
i have no idea on the pci bandwidth.

Thanks for posting. I think it’s a great idea to have each Overbridge Device on its own full bandwidth port. I’ve had difficulties with Push 2 and RME Babyface Pro on one USB controller. Push 2 was getting random flickering lights and the RME was getting I/O errors.

1 Like

It might be nicer to have a hidden installed USB card, than a hub floating around with its own power supply etc

Edit: possibly better value for money too!

I’ve had all sorts of usb issues with different attached devices.
Things like midi controllers can share a usb hub but more bandwidth hungry devices like Elektron boxes and my Virus could potentially benefit from one of these cards.
I’ll get one and try it.

Be sure to report back mate. I would like to know how you get on as its something I’ll probably do as well

2 Likes

I didn’t even know these multi controller cards existed. I hope it solves the issues.

1 Like

Sonnos has a nice Firewire 800 card too. Texas Instruments chipset. https://www.sonnettech.com/product/allegrofirewire800pcie.html

Just coming back to say I received this card a couple of days ago. I also bought another of the Manhattan USB 2.0 7 port hubs with MTT support (like Overhub has) to test with.
As yet I haven’t had the time to try all four of my Elektron boxes (A4, RYTM, Digitone and Digitakt) plus my Virus, but I will report back to let you know of the results soon. (Not Overbridge soon, but soon :rofl:)

Thought the overhub from elektron was meant to do the business.

1 Like

So a quick update:

This card seems to have solved all my USB issues and is allowing everything to work flawlessly.
In the four ports I have:
1 Manhattan 7 port USB2.0 mtt powered hub with RYTM, Analog Four, Digitakt and Digitone. All working in Overbridge 2.0.
1 USB UGreen 2 metre extension cable with my Virus TI2 connected. Working with the Virus software fine.
Another UGreen 2 metre extension connected to my iConnectivity Midi4+. This box has another Manhattan hub with Blofeld,Pulse2, Keystep and Peak. 3 more ports available.
Finally another UGreen extension with my SL mk3 attached.
So far everything is working well and all in sync. I’ll update again after more testing but this takes time as I look after our 16 month old twin boys full time so my ‘playtime’ is limited.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Thx for testing. I nie ordered the same Card for A4 MK2, Rytm MK2 and Digitakt. Will also report after some Test Sessions

1 Like

I just have an overhub on the mobo’s usb3, works like a charm with OB beta (AK, AR, AH) and a virus TI.

Bandwidth is not an issue even on USB2, so plugging each device on a separate USB3 controller seems a little overkill to me. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I think I just had too many USB devices, synths and controllers plus VR headset and Fanatec wheel etc for sim racing.

The card just gave me more options and fixed all my issues. I think with Elektron boxes the key is the mtt usb hub.

Same here…
had way too much USB devices.

1. UMC-1820 Audio Interface
  2. Korg MS20 Mini
  3. Moog Subsequent 37
  4. Elektron Analog Rytm Mk2
  5. Elektron Analog Four Mk2
  6. Elektron Digitakt
  7. 3TB Backup HDD
  8. 5x5 Motu Midi Interface
  9. wireless Mouse Dongle
  10. Cubase copy protection Dongle