Source Audio Aftershock stereo distortion

So this looks really interesting… especially the under-the-hood parameters like right/left parallel drive modes. Cheap too.

2 Likes

And the configurability within the app is pretty mind blowing…

I REALLY hope this sounds good.

Edit: Checked the demos and yep, it does. Parallel drives work just how you would want them to as well, “stereoizing” a mono signal as each side reacts to the inputs differently. Plus 0-100% clean signal can be mixed in per side!

Imagine this on monosynths, drums, sample mangling…

1 Like

Looks awesome. Also two 4 band parametric eqs! And if I got that right, it’s possible to midi map parameter using the Neuro App, hope that counts for hidden parameters as well…
That would mean since the pedal is a usb device, I could use my Mio4 and have full midi control from OT.

Sounds to good to be true? I’m not really familiar with how Source Audio’s whole Neuro App concept really works…

1 Like

I just nabbed the Aftershock on Reverb. All 3 of their distortion pedals can have the same distortions under the hood and knob functionality btw, so the differences are just superficial (similar to Neunaber pedals.) Will check the Neuro iOS app when it arrives, but looks promising.

Really dig how the toggle switch can be reconfigured to select between 3 custom presets, each with their own knob positions and Neuro parameters saved.

They have modulation pedals in this series too, so you could go full-on BoC in stereo. Also a spring reverb pedal (but can it load Ventris algos I wonder?) and a synth pedal under development.

2 Likes

Hmm, maybe I was wrong about full midi control…I just played around with the android app and scanned thru the manual again -
It rather seems that only the four knobs, effect selector and on/off switch can be midi mapped.
If you midi map the effect selector switch, it’s possible to load the different fx types with a midi cc message.

So for all one series pedals, that don’t have din midi input the editor app is required if you want to edit the hidden parameters.
The larger two footswitch pedals with din midi input like the Nemesis feature extensive midi implementation.

The additional parameters available for the Aftershock from the neuro app are pretty crazy, though! Also I don’t think I’d need that much control in a live situation anyway, so I’d just use the Neuro Desktop Editor for recording.

Now that would be pretty amazing^^
I tried to find out using the android app, no luck so far, though.

I will be getting one of the modulation pedals also, will report back on the stereo swirliness.

1 Like

I own the Ventris and am continually blown away by it. I really hope they build this distortion pedal into a box with 5pin MIDI with full mappability (is that a word) and 128 prest slots. Would be a killer performance effect semi-sequenced via OT (that’s how I use the Ventris).

1 Like

Great pedal, but 2nd input doesn’t work from this evening anymore. Anything like that happened to you?

…thing is that only for middle effect (“Heavy”) doesn’t work the 2nd input :confused:

A similar thing happened with my Ventris after I used the 2nd input for interface over audio from iPhone for Neuro. I think it came back to normal eventually after power off/on and using the USB for Neuro.

Never used the Neuro. So u say just to unplug and plug it back, as I did that… :frowning:

Mine was definitely related to using it for Neuro. But I also had the Gemini Chorus, which just stopped working after a few weeks. Pity, as it is the best chorus I ever played.

I found a solution so I am posting for others that may encounter that.
Power the unit as u keep pressed the pedal and u get a factory reset, that eventually solved my problem. :slight_smile:

Hi! Anybody tried the Source Audio Afteshock?
It is a stereo bass distortion that might work great for Elektron instruments…

I think I may have already started a thread about this a while back? But yeah I had it. What’s interesting is that you can have each input go to completely different distortions and settings via the editor app. Sounds very good for being digital. I just prefer analog these days…

1 Like

Do you know a desktop affordable stereo distortion?

Electro Harmonix do a couple of stereo pedals.

There’s the operation overlord, which is an overdrive with a few bells and whistles and the platform compressor pedal that saturates quite nicely. They’re both relatively cheap, but quite limited in terms of versatity in the distortion department.

Not affordable or truly stereo per se but the Retro Mechanical Labs Jekyll n Hyde is the holy grail IMO. I’m using it all the time.

2 Likes

This might be worth a look, I guess it’s 2 distinct channels rather than stereo input from a single source…

@DonovanDwyer every time I see that custom J&H the GAS starts tickling!

2 Likes

All their stuff is killer. Just the basic Electron Fuzz Custom is way more useful than any other dirt/fuzz pedal I’ve tried.

2 Likes

Does anyone have an example how this pedal sounds with a synth? I’ve only come across examples using string instruments on YouTube.