Sounds set back to init after turning off and on my Digitone

Hi Elektronauts,

First let me say thanks for all the years I´m reading stuff in this forum without registering. Now I am finally a registered user :smiley:

So here´s my first question I can´t find an answer to.

I´m new to the Digitone while beeing a Digitakt user for years. So the workflow is not a problem.
But, if I load a stock sound (or begin tweaking from the initial sound) I can tweak it, use it everything is fine. Then I save the whole pattern (FUNC + gear icon - save all), I assumed that the tweaked sounds are also saved with that action.

If I now switch off the Digitone and turn it back on the next day, some tweaked sounds are gone and somehow are reset to the initial sound. Mystically this does not affect all sounds, but many. Everytime I switch the unit back on to work on my liveset, some sounds are set back to init state.

I read the manual, watched YT videos but I can´t find any solution. Do I save the wrong way? Is there something I missed in the manual? I can not play live with this thing if I can´t rely on that all sounds are the way I saved them.

I´m on Firmware 1.40 (I believe)
Ín the project I go: Double tap Track Button --> Choose sound in browser and load it into the chosen track --> tweak it --> If I like it, I hit FUNC + gear to save all. Am I missing something crucial?

Thanks yáll in advance!
Take care.

1 Like

You must save the sound after changing the parameters.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! I will check that out as soon as I´m home from work. Seems like I have misunderstood something…

2 Likes

I might misunderstand, but I think I disagree. You should not have to save a sound to the sound pool or +Drive for it to be saved after the unit is powered off. Everything you do should be saved automatically and as you left it next time you turn the DN on (this is just like the Digitakt).

I think there are some other threads about troubleshooting this problem on the board if you search. One possible explanation is that (as I recall) you must turn off the power switch on the Digitone itself for this auto-save behavior to work. (It doesn’t work if you turn off the DN with a power strip or by just unplugging the power, for example.)

4 Likes

Digitone should auto-save, as in, the currently loaded project saves to memory while you adjust parameters. Any sound changes are saved to the pattern, including loading sounds, which decouples them from the sound pool/+drive. This could be where the confusion is coming from, as the sound no longer refers to the pool/+drive version once it’s loaded into a pattern. If you make a change, you’ll need to save that sound again if you want to use it in other patterns—that then includes re-loading it in other patterns to update the sound.

There’s one exception here, where if you use sound locks, the sound lock will always refer to the version in that slot in the sound pool. However, you’ll still need to save over that sound pool slot in order to change the sound. It’s a pretty convoluted solution that I think would have been much easier to manage across multiple patterns if the Digi boxes had the kit structure from the older machines.

This behaviour is present only on the Model series, which have a “soft” power switch (ie. long press of the volume knob). The power switch on the Digi boxes has the same function as turning it off from the power source—it just cuts power.

4 Likes

if you work totally standalone, i.e. not connected to OB/DAW with OB plugin with Recall or something like that, the DN should save the current state on power off, I’ve never had any sound loss after restarting the DN, I can’t remember where but I think there were other similar reports, I’ll try to find it, could be buried somewhere in the bug reports thread.
regardless, unless you do something like OB with recall and you power off with the power button everything should be restored as you left it, worth opening a ticket to support and if you can capture the behavior on video and submit it with the ticket - do it too.

1 Like

Check if the current project is locked or not.
In this case a warning message appears for a second when trying the save all.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your answers. I´m not connected to a computer I work in standalone (but with a Digitakt connected via Midi).

Today I updated to Version 1.41 and did a factory reset. I tested if saving works and so far everything has saved. But now I have another failure. Sometimes the Digitone wont power on. The LEDs are lighting up for a split second but the display stays dark and the unit wont power on.
I unplugged the power connector and leave it rest for 2 minutes or so and after a few times trying it finally powers on. This happens occasionally.

I have opened a ticket at the Support. Maybe I have a faulty unit. But I bought it used off of ebay. I have the original invoice tho and the device is not 1 year old. Maybe I have luck and the support can do something.

Thanks y´all

Do you use some kind of USB power cable like Birdcord?
Those Digi boxes usually require the original power adapter to properly back up their last state.

1 Like

Sometimes I do with the Digitakt, never had any issues with that ripchord. But the Digitone always is on the original power adapter.

Sounds like similar problems I had with my Rytm. Didnt want to boot correctly. Lights flashing, and then it doesnt responds. Worked most of times but it happened occasionally for me as well. Had to send it in for repair.

When it came back from repair, I had the other problem you mention, that it didnt auto-save. So I had to send it back for repair again. For me that problem was something with the hardware.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that! But that somehow sounds like both of the failures have something to do with one another…

Proper shut-down is required for auto-save. I guess the device senses voltage drop because of power switch cuts off electricity and initiate the auto-save process service routine which takes a few moments.

Then the voltage should drop down below a threshold voltage before power on again otherwise the circuit is confused and the power on process is halted.

If for some reason the processor is frozen (some kind of software bug) everything is lost because the auto-save can not be started.
The only safe process is save to project manually or save all.
For simple patterns no problem but complex sounds and sequences (especially arps) can cause freeze.

I have two Digitones and this is the “normal” functioning. Sorry for disappointing you.

1 Like