Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK (multitrack usb mixer)

Already got the mtk 12, I should have taken this route long time ago. How nice to switch on the mixer and start playing without starting the computer…
My presonus 1810 may have better preamps and I will sure miss the DC outputs but it has to go…

1 Like

Hi to all,
Pondering the purchase of a 22 MTK.
At the moment I have my 5 external synths, Digitakt, MicroFreak and some Maschine outputs (3 stereo pairs) routed to a Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro. Also using 2 pedals as aux sends (Zoom MS70 CRD and Boss DD7).
The Mackie gives me the option to send a submix (Alt Out 3/4) to my MOTU ULTRALITE MK3.
I am tracking “track by track”…
I am looking at the 22 MTK to replace the Mackie which has served me 20+ years as a summing board for my synths.

Couple of questions to 22 MTK owners:

1. What is the status of the PSU issues (capacitor)?
  2. Soundcraft states on its website it is supported (OSwise for Mac anyway) until El Capitan. I am under Sierra and soon High Sierra. Is this an issue?
  3. How reliable is the onboard USB soundcard? Will the preamps be better on my MOTU UltraLite Mk3?
  4. What USB cable do you recommend?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, as usual.

Stay SAFE,
V

Well, so far I am very happy with it to be honest.

1- no issues so far, but it does get hot.
2- not a Mac user but should not be issues…as no driver is needed.
3- I would say very reliable. No issues so far. Latency compares well with the presonus 1810 I had with lots of different settings/buffer sizes to choose from
4- Audio quality( preamps) I would say were better on the presonus, but I am very happy with it. Nothing to complain about.

One issue though is I use master out from Ableton to 11/12 out ( and use interval mute button not to worry about other channels)

You can not adjust gain ( outputs at 0dB) but you can give extra 10dB with the faded, but HP out is very quiet ( on my DT880 pro) even at max

There is a workaround, if you press the pfl button for channel 11/12 HP out level is then better

2 Likes

@Seta
Thank you for taking the time to answer.
This is much appreciated.
I can see myself keeping my MOTU, just In case…
I am still very hesitant, though the appeal of multitracking, USB return on every channel, added I/Os, 5 Aux, effects, possibility to use VSTs as Insert/Aux…
I am not in a rush to buy anyway :slight_smile:

Any other 22 MTK users? Bearing in mind the board will NOT be used for live bands / recording bands but as a summing board for all my external gear, mainly synths, drum computers etc…

From what I have gathered so far, the cons would be:

1. Master volume a bit on the low side
  2. USB latency: I am using a MBP 2014 i5 8Go Ram. I will not be using 22 USB tracks at the same time.

Thanks again,
V

1- The gain per channel is before going to the daw,then it comes back at 0dB max, otherwise it would clip. You can cranck that up either with the fader ( +10dB) or via eq boost…

Same with master channel, more than a fault it is necessary to understand the difference between analog and digital signal levels

2- Latency is on par with any other usb audio interface…sub 5ms RTL at 64samples with low latency settings, 20ms or so at 256/512 samples depending on the settings

I did not mention it before, mine is mtk12

2 Likes

Thanks again @Seta
Appreciate you are taking the time :slight_smile:
Think I am going to pull the trigger on the 22 MTK.
If it is not what I am expecting, I will send it back.
Thanks again,
V

Also have a look at Presonus AR or Tascam Model series…download the manual and see what suits you best

Regarding latencies minimum RTL(at 24bit/44.1khz) I get is 5.9ms (64 smp/Minimum latency setting) and maximum would be whopping 223ms (4096ms/Extra safe setting)
I normally use either 256smp/Standard 20.6ms, 256smp/low latency 16.6ms or 128smp/low latency 10.8ms…for mixing with lots of pluggins I do not mind increasing those numbers…

EDIT: I just run the ableton driver latency compensation test, gives me 64 samples, with the presonus was just 17 samples…I have fixed latency values +1ms or so…

1 Like

Have not looked at Presonus AR. Will do so.
Not interested in Tascam Model(24).
Thanks for your input.
Stay SAFE

1 Like

https://www.hispasonic.com/usuarios/aillo

este chico se dedica hacer a medida accesorios para enrrackar las maquinas y demas …preguntale
suerte y saludos

Anyone experience weird issues when pushing the faders to the side? When I push my master fader to the right, there is a noticeable left mst volume increase. I should note that at some point yesterday, moving the master fader across certain sections caused a bunch of distortion and scratchy sounds; I hit it with compressed air, and now I’m just getting the panning effect when I push it to the side. This is my first mixer, so not sure if this is a common thing.

Purchased this new in January, minimal use, covered when not using. I’m honestly a bit let down, they really skimped on the fader/knob quality imo.

–edit–

Deoxit D5 followed with F5 fixed it!

I test this tomorrow

1 Like

I tested here, not at all this kind of problem on the individual tracks,
on the groups or the master …
Return in warranty, certainly a defective fader.

My Soundcraft is sending signal out of all Aux Sends simultaneously, despite having all the knobs but one (the one i want the signal to send to) turned down.

Don’t know if its user error but it seems super weird to me…

Additionally Channel 7 is noisy.

Does anyone experienced this/knows how to fix this/knows if that’s kind of normal with analog mixers?

Edit: I need to clarify: The signal “spreads out” to the outher Aux Outs, it is not sent equally to all of them - so it is sent to the Aux i want it to, but there’s going some very quiet signal sent to the others as well…

Also the PreAmps seem to “pan” the signal… Can’t be normal i think, i must have a faulty unit… :frowning:

My 12MTK unit started acting up* after a year of light use. It has been the single worse investment i have made in gear in my 10 years of building my studio. Send it back if you can.

• channels with noise, pots crackling while turning, buttons not coming back up, effects knobs resetting on rotate to the first effect, not my selected one. Just a mess.
2 Likes

I returned two of them and eventually got a full refund even after 6 months. Bad quality control unfortunately.

Bought mine about 2 years ago, no worries, maybe bad production runs.
Whether on Thomann or Audiofanzinne, a very good overall rating.
Sorry for those who have worries but do not generalize.

I’ve got some crackle on some of my faders after ~3 years but it doesn’t bother me. It’s probably treatable with e.g. DeoxIT. Also the built-in effects often do not light up properly.

Hi peeps, a bit of resurrection on this topic :stuck_out_tongue:
I got this mixer a month ago, very happy with it although I’d like to figure out the best way to record post EQ. I was thinking of simply “self patching” with the aux’es back to an available channel and then recording on the computer, or just recording straight into my Octatrack, but I’m open to suggestions. Sounds amazing and if like to improve my sound quality with fine tuning EQ

This is my very first decent mixer (goodbye forever Behringer) so I’m learning my way in.
Thanks in advance <3

1 Like

I work with a zoom directly on the phones output, it works well and does not require blocking a track or using adapters. To save on pc simply the general or the separate tracks on usb.

1 Like