Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK (multitrack usb mixer)

Ohhh So that was it! I thougt that might be. Thank you So So So much for your help!! Appreciated :blush::v:t2:

Iā€™ve had this mixer for about four months now and my experiences are mostly positive. The biggest downside is that it could have more stereo channels to be optimal for my current Elektron-heavy setup. Alas, Iā€™m running out of space anyway so upgrading to a, say, 22mtk is out of the question.

Anyway, that brings us to my question. Does anyone have the 12mtk rack mounted in a rack stand (and if so, which one)?

Hello,

I am thinking of getting one of this and sell my presonus 1810 and xenyx qx1204usb. I also want to be able to multitrack in ableton. I do not mind it is pre fader/eq as I can mix later on in ableton. Only downside I see for my set up is I will loose the 4 cv outs the presonus gives me but I have few midi/CV devices so I can live with that.

I see Tascam has just announced the model 12 but I do not need to expend 250ā‚¬ extra for a sd recording I do not really need.

Any thoughts?

Like I say above, Iā€™ve been pretty happy with the 12MTK. On the surface it looks like the only things I would gain with the Tascam Model 12 are sub outputs and sd recording. I donā€™t have a sub right now so Iā€™m definitely happy with what I have, especially considering the price difference.

Iā€™ve had mine for about a month and I love it! I picked it up for a live techno setup that I want to incorporate Ableton with. Using Ableton as a VST and channel insert host. So far, itā€™s been the beeā€™s knees!

Thanks, I am all inā€¦
Already ordered itā€¦

I had to postpone buying the mtk 12 but I have finally decided getting it (once again :sweat_smile:)

I have a couple of questionsā€¦

• What kind of audio latency are you getting when ussing all inputs? Using Ableton on windows 10, i7 3770K

• When multitracking I plan to send hardware to the computer via inputs 1-10 and send Ableton master output back to the mixer and from there to the studio monitors. That would be output 11-12, right?

• I read that system sees inputs as pairs, so if you plug a microphone is hard panned to either left or right (outside DAW)
    What would be the work around for measuring room acoustics with a mic? I guess I could just send the mic to an aux out and back to the mixer but that would affect measurments accuracy, right?

I would never choose the onboard eq or fx for multitracking vs DAWā€™s ones.

This mixer concept is perfect as it is, if does not suit your needs you should look somewhere else.

People complain it has no inserts; well, it does via DAW. You can add compressors, drive , modulation per channel within the DAW and final mix eq /levels on the mixer. Very powerfull set up for live situations.

This mixer allows me to jam without needing the computer, and turn it on for multitracking like any other audio interface.

So, three use case scenarios I can see:

• As a normal mixer
  • As a hybrid set up for live acts
  • As a multitracking audio interface for studio use

All without needing to reroute a single cableā€¦

2 Likes

yeah, thats why have posted that video, to question my waysā€¦

Already got the mtk 12, I should have taken this route long time ago. How nice to switch on the mixer and start playing without starting the computerā€¦
My presonus 1810 may have better preamps and I will sure miss the DC outputs but it has to goā€¦

1 Like

Hi to all,
Pondering the purchase of a 22 MTK.
At the moment I have my 5 external synths, Digitakt, MicroFreak and some Maschine outputs (3 stereo pairs) routed to a Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro. Also using 2 pedals as aux sends (Zoom MS70 CRD and Boss DD7).
The Mackie gives me the option to send a submix (Alt Out 3/4) to my MOTU ULTRALITE MK3.
I am tracking ā€œtrack by trackā€ā€¦
I am looking at the 22 MTK to replace the Mackie which has served me 20+ years as a summing board for my synths.

Couple of questions to 22 MTK owners:

1. What is the status of the PSU issues (capacitor)?
  2. Soundcraft states on its website it is supported (OSwise for Mac anyway) until El Capitan. I am under Sierra and soon High Sierra. Is this an issue?
  3. How reliable is the onboard USB soundcard? Will the preamps be better on my MOTU UltraLite Mk3?
  4. What USB cable do you recommend?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, as usual.

Stay SAFE,
V

Well, so far I am very happy with it to be honest.

1- no issues so far, but it does get hot.
2- not a Mac user but should not be issuesā€¦as no driver is needed.
3- I would say very reliable. No issues so far. Latency compares well with the presonus 1810 I had with lots of different settings/buffer sizes to choose from
4- Audio quality( preamps) I would say were better on the presonus, but I am very happy with it. Nothing to complain about.

One issue though is I use master out from Ableton to 11/12 out ( and use interval mute button not to worry about other channels)

You can not adjust gain ( outputs at 0dB) but you can give extra 10dB with the faded, but HP out is very quiet ( on my DT880 pro) even at max

There is a workaround, if you press the pfl button for channel 11/12 HP out level is then better

2 Likes

@Seta
Thank you for taking the time to answer.
This is much appreciated.
I can see myself keeping my MOTU, just In caseā€¦
I am still very hesitant, though the appeal of multitracking, USB return on every channel, added I/Os, 5 Aux, effects, possibility to use VSTs as Insert/Auxā€¦
I am not in a rush to buy anyway :slight_smile:

Any other 22 MTK users? Bearing in mind the board will NOT be used for live bands / recording bands but as a summing board for all my external gear, mainly synths, drum computers etcā€¦

From what I have gathered so far, the cons would be:

1. Master volume a bit on the low side
  2. USB latency: I am using a MBP 2014 i5 8Go Ram. I will not be using 22 USB tracks at the same time.

Thanks again,
V

1- The gain per channel is before going to the daw,then it comes back at 0dB max, otherwise it would clip. You can cranck that up either with the fader ( +10dB) or via eq boostā€¦

Same with master channel, more than a fault it is necessary to understand the difference between analog and digital signal levels

2- Latency is on par with any other usb audio interfaceā€¦sub 5ms RTL at 64samples with low latency settings, 20ms or so at 256/512 samples depending on the settings

I did not mention it before, mine is mtk12

2 Likes

Thanks again @Seta
Appreciate you are taking the time :slight_smile:
Think I am going to pull the trigger on the 22 MTK.
If it is not what I am expecting, I will send it back.
Thanks again,
V

Also have a look at Presonus AR or Tascam Model seriesā€¦download the manual and see what suits you best

Regarding latencies minimum RTL(at 24bit/44.1khz) I get is 5.9ms (64 smp/Minimum latency setting) and maximum would be whopping 223ms (4096ms/Extra safe setting)
I normally use either 256smp/Standard 20.6ms, 256smp/low latency 16.6ms or 128smp/low latency 10.8msā€¦for mixing with lots of pluggins I do not mind increasing those numbersā€¦

EDIT: I just run the ableton driver latency compensation test, gives me 64 samples, with the presonus was just 17 samplesā€¦I have fixed latency values +1ms or soā€¦

1 Like

Have not looked at Presonus AR. Will do so.
Not interested in Tascam Model(24).
Thanks for your input.
Stay SAFE

1 Like

https://www.hispasonic.com/usuarios/aillo

este chico se dedica hacer a medida accesorios para enrrackar las maquinas y demas ā€¦preguntale
suerte y saludos

Anyone experience weird issues when pushing the faders to the side? When I push my master fader to the right, there is a noticeable left mst volume increase. I should note that at some point yesterday, moving the master fader across certain sections caused a bunch of distortion and scratchy sounds; I hit it with compressed air, and now Iā€™m just getting the panning effect when I push it to the side. This is my first mixer, so not sure if this is a common thing.

Purchased this new in January, minimal use, covered when not using. Iā€™m honestly a bit let down, they really skimped on the fader/knob quality imo.

ā€“editā€“

Deoxit D5 followed with F5 fixed it!

I test this tomorrow

1 Like