Sound Quality OT ;)

This may well be it. The SV-2 outputs aren’t as hot as some of the other sound sources I’ve recorded. I had to max out the volume on the board and max out the input gain on the OT to get something audible. I’ve never had to use those sorts of levels before, and I’ve never run into this issue.

Just something to file away. Hopefully, it helps some lost soul in the future who comes across this post

2 Likes

I had something similar happen, but for me it was the noise gate.

1 Like

Sounds like it might have a setting for mic/DI level output. Have a look whether you can switch it to line. It really doesn’t make sense that it would be so low.

1 Like

I agree it makes no sense the level would be that low. The manual doesn’t say anything about a mic level output option but it does have two sets of outputs, maybe try the other one? Maybe there is a balanced / unbalanced issue. What kind of cable is it, mono or stereo? Try the other kind :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I have a love-hate relationship with the Octatrack. It’s the first Elektron machine I bought, and I’ve been using it for nine years. I love the different possibilities and the open philosophy of this machine, but I never managed to make it sound good.

A few weeks ago I bought a Digitakt, and that thing has so much punch right out of the box. When I routed the Digitakt through the Octatrack, all the magic was gone and it sounded muddy and flat. So I decided to spend this morning exploring the Octatrack sound and connected the DT and OT to my sound card and computer. I used Ableton’s EQ8 to see what was going on, and adjusted the levels on both devices. And to my surprise, the machines both sounded equally good whether I sampled the DT into the OT or connected in through a Thru machine.

What I noticed is that you have to turn up the main volume and set the volume on the amp side to maximum. Also, I felt that using the master track changed the sound minimally in a less pleasing way. You have to turn up the volume there to max too. With a little compression and EQ I got the sound to my complete satisfaction. My conclusion: The Octatrack sounds great, but is not an instant gratification device.

4 Likes

Are the companies or people who do modifications on the OT?

Basically just like Black Lion Audio does on the MPC’s

3 Likes

Isn’t the DT pre Eq’d? Like a general boost in treble and bass to give that Hifi sound?

1 Like

I think so.

…tmi…hearsay…opinions…iq…tmi…tmi…tmi…

I think so.

…, too.

What is your opinion @reeloy, does using the master track affect the sound, other than the volume?

The filter is said to change the sound even when fully open… so that might be something.

2 Likes

Other than the filter I haven’t noticed any difference. When the filter is turned off it sounds identical to me.

Thank you for your answers, guys. I did not use the filter on the master track. Then, fortunately, I must have been mistaken.

1 Like

My statements are purely based on observations rather than testing with meters so I might be mistaken here as well.

1 Like

So the only difference was that you listened to the Digitakt at a louder level than to the Digitakt through the Octatrack?

3 Likes

Maschine+ sounds phenomenal right out the gate. I sent my OT back because of the sound.

If you need to wrangle so hard to make OT sound decent then it is a fail, no mater what.

1 Like

Complexity is a byproduct of flexibility.

Thing is, if you want something as flexible as the OT, there’s gonna be tradeoffs regarding complexity and learning curve.

It was too much for me, couldn’t deal with recording with it, but maybe I just didn’t need the flexibility it offers.

6 Likes

Don’t think it would be hard (at all) to make a new OT sound decent out the box and have all the same flexibility so that excuse doesn’t fly imo.

It’s just not properly balanced, and that’s best case scenario.

2 Likes