[ Sound Pack + eLearning ] Layers101 : we discuss Layering subject

it is also an opportunity for more experienced people to correct errors or to qualify my remarks. Even if I do a synthesis of books, tutorials as well as my personal experience … we don’t always read the right things. There is a great deal of taste and personal conviction (of vision) in the composition, arrangement and mixing of a piece of music.

i do think it’s better to prior the song instead of techniques but some tips to make things better to our hears doesn’t do harm if it’s for the better.

the couple “kick-bass” is a challenge for everyone :stuck_out_tongue:

Dependent on the speakers/ speaker placement/ room dynamics etc. (in a club) they may start cutting low frequencies at 35-50 hZ . There are not many speakers that can effectively push out sub 30hZ for a long period of time, not many clubs that can afford an infra-bass system or the power to run the F1 32 inch bass horns (that report efficiency down to 20hZ)!

3 Likes

I may add some recipe cards for each common drums… with 3 cards by Drum engineering steps :
Synthesis - Layering - Processing

Like this one i work on this morning :

Icons for now doesn’t really reflect what I have in mind. (as well as ADSR timings) I may stretch the text to even more simple. Difficult to keep it simple with a good mixtures of advises. I think I will have to insist more on “we modulate” the Pitch by an envelope or a LFO > I think it is not highlighted and clear enough, better icons or a fake synth design could help here I think

What do you think ? Handy not Handy ? at the end it will be printable as a cookbook.
(it will serve as a tool and not only for the analog Rytm)

i plan those 3 types of card for : Electronic Kick, more Acoustic Kick, Electronic Snare, Vintage Snare, Clap, Closed and Open Hats, Cymbals (Crash, Ride), Range of Tom, Range of Conga, Few Synth Percussions, Cowbell, Lazer Zap, WoodBlock, Rimshot, Bell.

NB: the design of the cards will change, it’s just a rough sketch, plus I don’t think it sufficiently clear for a beginner to understand how the kick is made (as a simple recipe). I will have to make it better… maybe I give too much insights, maybe divided in kick basic recipe & kick advanced recipe - I may only give ADR settings also

in terms of design I hesitate between a fake one face synth and a more diagram approach, a fake synth could be cool.

1 Like

The project is -- ON HOLD -- while I get back an alalog rytm. originally a friend lent me his and due to financial problems he had to get it back. I'm trying to find a solution as soon as possible. I'm still working on the knowledge part that don't really need the machine

sorry for that. I’ll try to get back at it as soon as I can