Sound Design

But even if you use the HP filter, AR still removes these highest frequencies! It actually has nothing to do with the filter. The resonant peak filter @ max cutoff is a hack to boost those recover those frequencies that are removed in the AR.

I determined this by loading the same 16-bit samples into: ( a ) Octatrack, ( b ) Bitwig, ( c ) Rytm and comparing in a frequency analysis plugin. Even with the HP filter, Rytm lost some energy in the highest frequencies, but you can “regain” them with the peak filter.

2 Likes

Has anybody tried creating something with the synthesis engines, then resampling it via the mains for added FX, then using that sample layer with another round of synthesis? This could be done over and over a few times and with different synthesis engines, too. I might give it a go tonight. With such a range of different synthesis engines, there’s not much that couldn’t be done via this method.

3 Likes

Oh, I thought it was like A4, like the filter would tame some frequencies when RES is set to 0.
All right good to know, thx.

Yes, I do this a lot.
This way you can layer several percussions and gather them in one track.
Or go crazy on plocks and have some long sample to butcher ^^

3 Likes

Here is the parameters to my kick drum template. It’s a clean, punchy kick drum that is present in the mix while leaving enough space for other sounds.

MACHINE: BD Plastic

SYNTH

TUN: -4
SWT: 47
SWD: 55
DEC: 40
TYP: 0
MOD: 0
TIC: 127

FILTER

ATK: 0
DEC: 14
SUS: 0
REL: 64
FRQ: 22
RES: 48
TYP: HP2
ENV: 8

AMP

ATK: 0
HLD: 10
DEC: 55
OVR: 0
DEL: OFF (a delay with a triplet pattern can be used to build tension in a transition)
REV: OFF

LFO

SPD: 63
MUL: x512
FAD: 0
DST: AMP OVERDRIVE
WAV: EXP
SPH: 0
MOD: ONE
DEP: 5

10 Likes

could someone talk me through thi one shot exponential decally LFO trick? I don’t get it… how to do this on the rytm?

Try the LFO settings @Michael_S just shared in the post before yours. In that case, the exponential decay one-shot LFO is routed to the Amp Overdrive destination. Make sure that the LFO is set to retrig on the Trig page. Maybe increase the Depth parameter on the LFO page to get a better idea of what’s going on.

Isn’t like doing a relatively « fast up and down » turn with a knob like DJ’s do when they introduce a Kick by intervals with the Low EQ knob on a mixer? That’s the way I see it. I always picture LFO’s as knob movements.

1 Like

A one shot exponential decay LFO is basically like an AD envelope. How fast or how slow the LFO rate is is basically like the decay time.

Try putting it on something obvious so you can hear what it’s doing, like pitch. If you put it on the pitch of a sample or, say, kick drum, you will hear it sweep from a point high above the base pitch down to the base pitch pretty quickly (like an envelope). An inverted exponential LFO would of course do the opposite :stuck_out_tongue:

One of my favorite tricks on the OT is to send an inverted exponential one-shot LFO to the rate of the sample, so every time the sample is triggered it sounds like a tape starting up.

4 Likes

Thanks!

Even though the 909’s Open Hi Hat was sampled, can anyone here given their settings for something that’s in the ball park?

But would love ball park settings for all the 909 instruments :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m gonna play the contrarian: why spend the effort? The original was a sample; samples of that sample exist in hundreds of official and pirate sound packs. Roland have released several remakes of the box, and probably some sound packs too. Just use one of those if you want the 909 sound.

In the time you saved, you could make a different sound that is unique to you and your music.

4 Likes

Yeah, but where’s the fun in that :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

In the past I have tried to get more from the tom machines by assigning the LFO to TUNE to get some FM going. This has led to some kind of ringing or feedback that limits a lot of the range. With the latest 1.7 update I get a much better FM result on the XT Classic machine than I ever remember from before the update. The BT Classic machine still responds poorly to FM. Am I remembering correctly or did I just never actually try the XT Classic machine properly? I’m super excited about the range of sounds I’m able to get from these toms now.

Another possibility is that I’ve learned that the ‘amount’ or ‘depth’ parameter on the RYTM is quite sensitive when doing FM. Perhaps I was setting depth too high in the past, I’ve found that a little goes a long way.

1 Like

i really enjoy filter FM on the BT. especially with some subtle fade in for some amazing moving sub wobbling.

1 Like

Perhaps similarly, I’ve gotten a techno rumble effect from assigning the lfo to a BD tune with a fade in so it only affects the tail. I wonder how it would sound with the new slew parameter for the random lfo shape.

Keen to catch up and follow this thread.

I’ve been getting into the Rytm finally, after years of resisting the requirement to sound design on it, and it sounding kinda crap, although dig deep to find a way to use it i like, and then more recently since the OS update, finding it really fun and satisfying to use and way happier with the sounds.

If it’s any help, all the Rytm videos on my channel come with the projects to download for free. Happy to share it here if people wish.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: MKI vs MKII

Been doing more sound design experiments to see how un-Rytm I can make the Rytm sound. (Why? I don’t want to buy yet another drum machine!)

Here are some tips I’ve discovered, focusing on BD for now and taking some inspiration from the DRM1 and ADX1:

• Get rid of the click. The easiest way as a starting point is with the Filter: ATK=1 FRQ=0 ENV=63
  • BD FM is vast. Currently my favorite machine. You can set up a starting point to zero in on a flavor and then focus on one or two params. Higher FM decay does not work well with high amount, but glitches can be good.
  • Get rid of the boxyness. Synth DEC=127 Amp HLD=1 DEC=60 for starters
  • An additional pitch ramp with the LFO to get rid of the synthyness. TUN=-24 SPD=32 MUL=4 WAV=SAW MOD=HLF DEP=20
6 Likes

Use short amp decay as well, to avoid consecutive sounds to connect, so to say.

I found the filter envelope to be more reliable since the amp envelope doesn’t reset on trig. Unless there is something that the amp attack helps with in addition?