Sound Design : Techno stab

:pensive:

Yeah it can mess with your brain hehe :slight_smile: The delay also adds to the confusion probably. Once you get it into your system it will be pretty easy to hear.
it just goes

pam pam
pam pam
pam pam
pam pam
pam pam

etc.

1 Like

Occasionally “bscreeouwwm”, too.

4 Likes

really close to what I wanted to achieve ! wow !

1 Like

What synth engine is that Dave?

1 Like

do you think this sound could be created (still with the Syntakt) with less machines involved ?

1 Like

@Grate_expectations

@martin 5x16=80 step, if you use a one bar drum track combined with a five step stab track.
Check this :
Elektron Octatrack: Track Trigs/Multiplier to Master Length Calculator

1 Like

It’s 4 tracks of bits and 1 track of dual osc. All with their own freerunning lfo’s modulating filter frequency and waveform (on the bits).

2 Likes

Not this exact thing but you could use less digital tracks yeah. Try 2 digital tracks with bits. Tune tune each of those to an interval to create a chord. Then layer with the analog dual osc voice.

Cool thing is though that even using 5 machines in total for this purpose means you still have 3 analog voices left and 4 digital voices. Basically 8 tracks total in a way. And because of the sound’s complexity you don’t need that much more.

In the audio example above I used 2 tracks for hihats(1 analog and 1 digital), an analog kick and an analog rumble . Still 3 digital voices left for other stuff

3 Likes

One downside of this is that if you want to use other track lengths in combination or a track with more than one bar you get a reset at 80. Unless it’s a choice to want a reset every so often I’d go for infinite and set the ch.len to something that sounds the smoothest if using more than one pattern .

1 Like

Seems like a fun recipe to try. Here is machinedrum with the X.07 firmware.
Saw machine with the 3 osc. and a lot of LFO’s to tame the attack and get some movement.

4 Likes

Hi sezare,

Would you also share your amp and trig settings ? Can’t get it sounding like yours. What’s the note you use for this example ? A c5 sounds too high.

At the same time I am also trying Dave’s technique with multiple machines !

Ok, I’ve been able to get something really cool using the polymeters and achieved some good results using the chord machine but not as close of the original sound of what I am looking for.

Would you please share your bits and dul osc configurations ? (amps and filters)

I tried with 3 bits (with tune at 0, 3 and 7 but didn’t find any good result tweaking the DET knob).

Did u change anything regarding the TRIG part ?

They are apparently default settings…

Hm… Even with your video and the screenshot you sent I can’t get the same result… weird.

I modified it since, but I don’t think modifications concerns Trig and Amp pages.

Tried it again the whole afternoon yesterday and couldn’t get anything really better.
(both on the “chord machine” and on Dave’s approach with 3 bits (and no duol osc yet))

Any help is still welcome :slight_smile:

another example of that kind of chord/stab : Percy X - X Trak 1 (1994) - YouTube

1 Like

Could you share your settings, and a recording, and tell us what you don’t like about what you’ve made?

I tried both approachs :

1. with only one “chord machine” following sezare’s quick test :

it’s my best attempt but it sounds too high

1. with 3 bits and one dual VCO following Dave’s test :

(Dave’s result seems to be the closest to what I wanna do but I am not getting any good result)

Here are the 3 bits synth settings (tried alos with 0 as detune but it doesn’t sound good neither)

and here is the dual vco :

the 4 have the same filter and amp setttings :

trig too (that’s also the same one for the “chord machine” btw) :

Sorry but my studio isn’t ready yet (couldn’t move it from my old house yet) so I have nothing to record any audio result :frowning:

edit : wow my screen looked clean but not that much when I zoom on the pictures :thinking:

1 Like