Sound Design : Techno stab

TUN is “tuning”. It’s the root pitch of the oacillator (but it’s relative to the NOT param on the TRIG page, so TUN=-12 means “one octave lower than the trig’s note).

DET is “detune” - an offset of oscillator 2’s pitch away from osc 1’s.

DET’s useful for a few things:

• making chords - if the balance between the oscillators is fairly even, both notes are heard clearly so use TUN/DET to create two note chords. When TUN is 0, the trig plays the notes specified by the NOT param on the TRIG page, which is usually easier think about. For either param, good values are 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 12, referring to minor 3rd, major 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th and octave from musical scales. Minus numbers work too. As the octave is 12, you can separate by two octaves with 24.
  • adding harmonics: when the balance is set unevenly, one tone will be heard more quietly, so you can use this to add/emphasise harmonics. The same values as chords work, particularly 5, 7 and 12/24/36
  • creating shimmer: when the difference between TUN and DET is very low, 0-0.6ish, you don’t really hear them as different pitches, it’s more like a fizzy wide movement as the phase differences between osc 1 and 2 affect each other

Your earlier experiments used multiple tracks for your chords. So then you can spread the notes of a chord over multiple tracks, and use DET for harmonics or shimmer. If you’re keeping your track count down, you should probably use DET for making chords.

You could use different TUN/DET values, but they tend to get more discordant. That works great for some sounds and some genres of music. As said earlier, techno stabs tend to be minor triad chords, or minor 7th chords. The TUN/DET values for those are 3, 7, 10 and 12/24/36. So long as one of your channels has TUN=0, you’ll be hitting a “root note” and the chord will sound “settled”.

6 Likes

wow, thanks! that makes everything clear now!

1 Like

(thanks for spending so much time to share your knowledge btw :slight_smile:)

Seems someone responded vey elaborate and faster then me :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thanks @Octagonist :raised_hands:

3 Likes

I finally made some (temporary :cry:) space for the Analog Four MK2 and I gotta agree - it sounds closer than most of what I achieved with the Syntakt. I really need to get that studio ready ASAP.

Anyway, if you guys have some tips regarding the stab design on the A4, they are welcome too :slight_smile:

(Next step : adding a Digitakt in the setup for the sampling part)

Try this threat:

1 Like

are you sure about the link ? or do you mean I have a “premature GAS” ? :smile:

(I have one for sure but not really in this case :smile:)

Haha, mixed something up :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Now it’s correct :+1:

2 Likes

cool, thanks ! really helpful :slight_smile: can’t wait to be back from work and give it a try!

Hey everyone ! I just upgraded my Syntakt and I was wondering if you guys think any of the 2 new machines could be helpfull to design those techno stabs?

1 Like

I am reviving this topic as my GAS has got me once again… Digitakt is on its way :joy:

1 Like

I do think, looking at your comment above, that multitracking/layering either SY SWARM or double-stops/intervals of saws or squares on the SY RAW makes great stabs, as both have the upper harmonics that are so difficult to achieve with the chord engine.

But Digitakt … I’ve recently tethered DT and ST together, and I’m finding it’s an absolutely brilliant combination, hope you enjoy it! Being able to sub in a few samples (and a track count of 20) truly makes it feel limitless, and having the sound macro control over the ST from DT means I’m in no danger of abandoning the synth sounds, stabs included, from ST…

1 Like

Can’t say I enjoy it yet as I couldn’t find much time to play with it but I am sure I will :slight_smile:

I will have to start loking at both SY SWARM & RAW to try to achieve something with 'em !

I trying to add the Digitakt into the equation and I was wondering if it’s better to sample a “simple synth sound” (ie from the Syntakt or the A4) and then layer it into the Digitakt to create the chord/stab or is it better to already play it as a chord in the “source synth” and then sample it ?

What would be the best approach ?

As supposed by Adam Jay a few months ago, I got better results with the A4 than with the Syntakt (but didn’t try anything using the new machines yet)

Try both. Which do you like more? If it sounds good, it is good.

1 Like

There is no best approach. The best approach is to play around with the settings of whatever Device you have in front of you until it sounds the way you like.
I have good results with the Syntakt, when I don’t use the Chord Engine, but the Raw or Swarm Engine and use multiple tracks.

There is a video from Martin Stürtzer in Youtube, who samples the raw and unfiltered sound of a minor chord on his Juno 60 to make Dub Stabs out of it. You should get that sound (or close enough to it) out of nearly every Synth that has a SAW-Oscillator. And even if it’s monophonic: Either sample all 3 notes after another into the DT, put them on 3 Tracks, play them together, resample, voilla. You should be able to do that even with only one Sample pitching the other 3 to the right notes.
On the DT you can also just use a SAW-Single Cycle Waveform out of the Tools folder and have that chord in a short amount of time with a little bit of resampling.

How the stab sounds later depends way more on your Filter and Modulation work, than on the raw sound of the SAW Oscillator your are using.

3 Likes

did you guys know that sy bits can do three note chords (on one track)? :wink:

9 Likes

Are you using the overtone that shows up on high reduction rates?

1 Like

yes :wink:

I am getting better in this “there is more in every engine than you might think” \o/

1 Like