Sound design for this sort of genre

So after asking these guys for tips and how they make this style of music and getting ZERO responses from the musician who posts this stuff, I wanted to gather your thoughts on what synthesizers, drum machines they would use to make music like this below:

https://www.youtube.com/live/WhRPNrayZb4?si=I3IBKnIkFy383nd6

I know that they use samples for the female voice that says “Stay” and “Darkwave” throughout the song but drums, bass and synth lines not sure what one uses?

They probably use plugins and samples entirely in their DAW. I bet most of it is preset synth sounds that they might tweak.

The synth they used is probably Serum for most of the synth parts

3 Likes

its pretty weird they have labelled that “Synhwave Mix 80s” because I was in the 80s and they sounded absolutely nothing like this.

:wink:

(but I agree, probably Serum)

You are so right … that sounds are not 80ies because those sound sources had to be invented … :slight_smile:

1 Like

TBH in my collection of samples are a couple of loops, which seem to be very close to the sounds used in this video. This said, the track could be set-up and mixed/mastered by loop-samples only. But this is not answering your question.

Drums:
Maybe samples, processed with saturation and compression. IMO it doesn’t make a difference to use a good sample or a dedicated synth. Mostly those original sounds are post-processed quite heavily :wink:

Gnarly Bass, which is quite dominating as a sound:
There are some options. Wavetable comes to my mind and FM-Synths.

Here is a sample for using Serum (wavetable)

In this sample the bass is quite “stabbed”, but imagine that the envelope is closing the volume slower and then it seems to me quite similar to the video considering the gnarly-ness :wink:

The trick is to find the fitting wavetable and modulation of the index. But I’m quite sure that in many wavetable synths we find “gnarly bass” patches to start with.

1 Like

thank you! This is very helpful. I am going to play around with my Virus and Rytm this weekend as time permits to see what I can come up with. My goal is not to copy or sound like every other darkwave/synthwave/EDM artist but craft my tone.

Virus is a good starting point, indeed … and also RYTM. IMO RYTM and Percons are two hardware units, which can deploy much power in the drum department without the need of many additional FX.

Good choice :smiley:

I would recommend to search all the bass patches on your Virus for a similar sound. If you have loaded as many banks as me … there could be something to start with …