Sort/Organize RAM Function

I have a project on my Digitakt that I recently decided to clean up by deleting a bunch of samples I never use. The problem however is that now there’s a bunch of holes in that project’s list of samples (IE slot 1 is a bass drum and slot 2 is just “- - -“ and so on).

Is there a way to sort the samples either in the Digitakt, Overbridge or Transfer so everything shifts up to the top, filling the blanks? Or better yet a way to sort alphabetically? I like to sort my samples so it’s bass, then snare etc and the Digitakt has proven a pain for that.

I even tried doing this in my computer then uploading the folder in to transfer, but transfer won’t upload since they’re duplicate files. Overbridge meanwhile lets you view samples, but not sort or drag them around. It’s like if you want things in a specific order you have to meticulously put your RAM together the first time then stick with it. Hmm…

Samples are identified on DT by a hash and not the name so moving stuff around the +drive after loaded to a project shouldn’t change the project but deleting samples from +drive will remove them from all projects using them because they are just referenced to, not contained in project. The project doesn’t care where the samples are located on the +drive.

There’s no automated way to shift things around but you can manually move samples to new slots so they fill up.

2 Likes

Hey has anybody figured out how to do this? I have the same issue. I deleted a bunch of unused samples from my project RAM and now i have a bunch of empty slots. What’s worse is i uploaded some new samples and it seemed to scatter them everywhere. Anybody know how to move around and organize samples in the RAM? I’m about ready to unload everything and then reload in the order i like.

1 Like

Elk-Herd seems to be what you are looking for. Search on the forum, download and enjoy.

3 Likes

Holy crap thank you so much! That was so helpful. And now I understand Sounds!!! Why this isn’t Elektron supported is beyond me.

2 Likes

Can I move samples in the RAM list manually? Without loosing the assignement of samples to tracks?
The only way I found was to unload a sample and to load it back into the project in a different place. But then the assignment is gone. So I kind of seem to have to continue working with the messy RAM List that grew during working in the project and have no chance of resorting is without reassigning every single Track in every single pattern? Also I cannot assign a recorded smple to a specific slot right after recording it right? That would require the whole unload /load workaround everytime?

Unfortunately there’s no move mechanism which as you (and many others) have learned would be extremely useful. Yes you can unload and load the sample into a new slot but then any sample or sound locks will be wrong because they look at the position in the sample list and not the sample itself.

An edit mode for the sample slots would be killer, especially when you want to group a bunch of sounds together that you modulate between sample positions (like a bunch of percussion sounds where the LFO is modulate sample number).

2 Likes

I don’t know if anyone does this but I wish I’d have done it from the start with my digitakts. So I have recorded all my tracks as audio into ableton so I don’t lose anything in the process of backing up project via transfer and emptying the samples. Now with a fresh set of digitakts I can reload a project from transfer select import all samples to original location and then purge the unused within the digitakt. Now I have a set and full digitakt memory to work on. When I’m done I can backup this set to my laptop and delete everything off digitakt and load a different project via transfer each time creating full space on the takt for whatever set your on!

1 Like