Sophie. rip

terrible… Did know much about Sophie until I went through the tune she made… sad times

I made a new thread if anyone wants to nerd out more about Sophie and her art.

1 Like

totally, not to mention Johnn Balance of Coil.

2 Likes

This is wild, I was reading a Rolling Stone article about SOPHIE just a couple of minutes ago and thought to myself that she was like a modern Hendrix of electronic pop, and yours was literally the first comment I read when returning to Elektronauts. :open_mouth:

Weird universe.

2 Likes

A devastating loss for music.

Sophie was a true original in a world full of copycats and imo the brightest electronic music talent to emerge in the 21st century.

At a time when music was feeling dark, macho, serious and bereft of new ideas Sophie came along with a fresh vision, unheard sounds, a surreal sense of humour and a feeling of exuberance.
I’ll never forget hearing Bipp for the first time and initially thinking I hated it but being so intrigued by it’s uniqueness of sonics and approach that I couldn’t stop listening. My brain took around 5 listens in a row to adjust and I’ve been hooked ever since.
In just a few years Sophie pushed pop, dance and abstract electronic music into previously unexplored territory. They’ll never be the same again, such has been the influence of Sophie’s productions.

It’s a source of joy and excitement in life to know that there are artists out there working on creations that you’ll get to experience some day and there is now an empty space where Sophie’s future music would have been.

Gender identity isn’t something that I think about very much on a personal level but it can only be a good thing if a public figure’s bravery to express themselves freely breaks boundaries and leads to large amounts of people feeling more comfortable and accepting of themselves and/or others.

I was listening to Product and discussing Sophie’s imagination and craft with my girlfriend when I heard the news, it felt like a bad dream then and it still does.
We’ve lost one of the good ones.

RIP SOPHIE, thank you for the music x

11 Likes

So well put, I feel exactly the same. In Sophie’s case it rings especially true because she had so much amazing material that never got an official release, and we know she was actively working on at least one pop album. So much more to give.

The Vroom Vroom EP is responsible for completely changing my taste in music, and I know I’m not the only one.

edit: past tense :cry:

7 Likes

My own experience was discovering first Arca with the incredible Xen album in 2014: I couldn’t believe my ears, the sound was so different from anything I had heard already, although I’ve been continuously listening to new music for 3 decades, and getting seriously into experimental for a few years.
Seeing Arca live in Porto Primavera festival felt like a bomb continuously exploding.

Then I discovered Sophie, and immediately made a bond with Arca’s sound: such music was no more alien, to me. It was only the future.

6 Likes

I’m getting a monomachine today… very few artists have had such a meaningful impact on my outlook towards my music and identity as Sophie has. It’s very touching to know how many people feel the same.

4 Likes

Terrible News. I met SOPHIE at a show several years back and she was nice as can be spent like 30 minutes talking to me, a total stranger. I think the thing that I admire most about her music is this ability to take me into a totally different universe. Music has pulled me through some tough times in my life and I definitely tend to gravitate towards artists that can take me to WHOLE NEW WORLDS through sound. While I spent most of the weekend feeling sad that the music industry had lost yet another bright star far too soon, I find solice in the fact that SOPHIE accomplished so much in the time she was with us. No doubt she has helped pave the way for the next generation of sound designers and left an indelible mark on the music industry. Rest in Power.

Also, for those of you only familiar with the actual releases I urge you to listen to a lot of the unreleased stuff. SoundCloud has some playlists of unreleased material, vimeo has the mr/mrs album (highly recommended), and the collabs with Matthew lutz kinoy are really dope.

7 Likes