Sophie. rip

Oh god. 2021 really sucks. What a loss.

https://splice.com/sounds/splice/sophie-samples

3 Likes

Absolutely heartbroken and a loss of words

“True to her spirituality she had climbed up to watch the full moon and accidentally slipped and fell”

A sad reminder of the fragility of life. Unbelievable.

Source: SOPHIE Has Died | Pitchfork

4 Likes

Not an exaggeration to say that Sophie laid the foundations for all my current favourite music. Huge loss. RIP

3 Likes

Rip :disappointed_relieved:

Truly unique - extremely sad to hear!

RIP

I can’t bare most of Sophie’s music be honest but very sad news to read about. And even sadder to think that the vast majority of Scots will breeze past this news in their social media channels without realising the influence this Glaswegian had on recent music industry trends.

6 Likes

have you tried listening to the instrumentals?

I just found out about her yesterday cos Warp or Bleep published an Autechre remix of one of her tracks. Today she’s dead, very sad news.

Yeah I’ve given much of Sophie’s stuff a go. I shan’t deny there is greatness in there just not something that ever resonated with me in a great way. Probably the biggest complement I could give is that a lot of Sophie’s music has a real Prince vibe to it to my ears. Like, it’s kind of what I’d imagine Prince would have knocked out had he been born 30 years later. It took me quite some time to appreciate Prince in full beyond the classics so maybe something similar will happen with Sophie’s stuff.

2 Likes

Sad News!

So sad and a real loss :’( :cry:

Dam , Oil of Every Pearls Un-Insides was one of the more epic, best records of the past few years, definitely one of the most unique and best producers of the past few years

1 Like

Shit :frowning:

Oh man this is tragic news. Not everything that Sophie did was to my taste, but I was always intrigued by it, and wanted to know about the process of how those sounds were made.

Sophie was definitely one on the motivating factors in me getting an MNM a year ago.

It’s sad to hear that someone has died so young, at the peak of their artistry.

As a gender nonconforming person, SOPHIE meant so much more to me than just her art alone. A true beacon in a music world that often feels cyclical, harsh, and self-serving. Few others matched the talent, love and inspiration SOPHIE gave so many, I’m glad she got her due recognition while she was alive. Few artists can be called geniuses in their craft, but there isn’t any doubt in my mind that SOPHIE was a genius.

26 Likes

This is one of the most painful, tragic ends imaginable. The world lost so much potential and truly a beautiful and empowering individual.

holy shit nooooooo

Absolutely devastating… rest in power queen