Sononym sample manager

Hi Nauts,

thanks to the post of @karkwai (Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2018 Deals) i found Sononym (https://www.sononym.net/), a sample manager with some very nice filter algorithms and options for organizing samples.

This entry is not intended as advertising and i have nothing to do with Sononym, but it is a awesome sample manager which needs more support in my opinion. I had some conversation with the developer and it looks like that there are a lot of features on its way. He seems to be a very nice guy, is very helpful and i guess very open to meaningful feature requests. Worth to support. Just my two cents. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Are you still using it? I tried it ā€¦ like a month ago and then forgot about it / abandoned it (4 days evaluation leftā€¦ damn) because I had the feeling it didnā€™t work well for indexing my huge sample collection (I think my Macbook was close to exploding because of the workload / high CPU) and it wasnā€™t doing it properlyā€¦ But besides that it looks good.

Iā€™m bumping this thread because I bought Sononym over the weekend and think itā€™s fantastic.

If, like me, you have amassed a stupid amount of samples over the years, this is THE perfect tool for making them useful.
It also lets you delete samples from within it too, which is really handy, so it can become your master library for samples.

The search filters are brilliantā€¦ being able to zone in on sonic characteristics youā€™re looking for is greatā€¦ saves you sitting listening to random kicks over and over.

Itā€™s currently on a BF saleā€¦ if you work with samplesā€¦ if you have a sampler, an Octatrack, a Digitakt, an MPC, etcā€¦ get it, thank me later. :+1:

1 Like

I know you run other sample managers as well, are there any issues with running Sononym along side the others on the same samples?

So far, so good. As theyā€™re both just looking at the same folders and not affecting the files, it should be fine.
They work together wellā€¦ the distinction between them is that XO lets you play/use your sample library with some category filtering, and Sononym does no playing but is surgical for filtering and searching.
What I would LOVE from both of them, is if there was an ā€˜open in sample editorā€™ option that let me get them into izotope RX10, the way Ableton does it.

So they work great together, and Iā€™m finding Sononym brings new inspiration to using my sample library now (and not just for drums too btw).

1 Like

ok so if you delete the duplicates in sononym it wonā€™t destructively delete them from your computer?

Yes, it will delete them destructively.
I suppose to be safe you should hit rescan in XO after you delete files.

1 Like

AS part of my resolution to be more intentional about sample picking and management Iā€™m using Sononym again, but itā€™s been awhile. How do you folks utilize ā€œprojectsā€ if at all?

Projects are how I generally organize samples before I start a new conceptual/genre project on DT and OT. There doesnā€™t seem to be a way to drag or import folders from a sample search -> into a project. That feels silly. Have I overlooked something?

1 Like