Sonic Charge Microtonic Sample Pack by LØSTLVLS

Hello again everyone! After the overwhelmingly positive feedback received from my Pulsar-23 sample pack and the excellent suggestions for improvement, I decided to put my mind to a new pack. I am happy to welcome you to my latest project, a collection of sounds from the excellent Microtonic software drum machine by Sonic Charge.

The Microtonic is an eight channel drum synthesiser. Unique and flexible, it is capable of creating any sound you can imagine within a deceptively simple interface. Each of the eight channels contains the same synthesis engine - EQ, oscillator and noise are combined and mixed in a unique and satisfying way.

This pack is twice the size of the previous one - 256 samples, comprised of 64 kicks, 64 hi-hats, 64 snares/claps and 64 tones. All are recorded dry straight from the software as 16-bit, 44.1khz files. There are also four sample chains for Octatrack users that work great in Ableton Live as well - stick it in a Simpler, set it to Poly, put it in Slice mode and set the Sensitivity just right and you can make some really amazing patterns with just the one file.

The pack is priced at £2.99 which I believe is fair for the amount of work that went into this. I sincerely hope you enjoy using these sounds as much as I do. I would also like to say that if you like these sounds, you really ought to consider purchasing Microtonic from Sonic Charge. Samples are amazing but there’s nothing quite like having the real thing - there’s also a three-week trial which is tremendous to get started.

Sonic Charge Microtonic Sample Pack by LØSTLVLS

15 Likes

nice work. fyi, when i released a sample library on bandcamp i emailed them to ask for ability to add zip files a file type to the ‘extras’ part of a release. this way you can put anything in there you want. subfolders, instruments etc…

i know that the whole release gets downloaded as a zip when someone buys it but being able to add a zip to the content adds some flexibility… and that way i didn’t have to upload 1800 files as tracks that are part of a release…

3 Likes

It would be amazing if I could upload a .zip file, though I tried yesterday and it’s as of yet not a supported format. I wanted to include an Ableton Live drum selector rack with the download but it wasn’t possible due to file format limitations.

Another issue I have is that when I make these packs I have to individually rename every single file from ‘Unnamed Track’, it’s rather tiring! I’ve messaged BandCamp to ask if they could get the names to be read from the metadata. If your request for adding zip files is given the green-light as well then we will have made BandCamp a better place. :smiley:

Awesome work! Fodder for my MPC One and Toraiz SP16…

Thank you!

1 Like

ignatius is saying that bandcamp can and do already enable uploading zip files on a per account basis. i’m sure they’ll do it for you if you ask nicely

gonna grab the samples now

1 Like

Ah I see, I will reach out to them about this now. Would save a lot of trouble for me and would allow me to give better content to you so win-win. :wink:

Thank you so much, I hope you enjoy.

1 Like

you need to email them and ask them to add the ability to your account. that’s all it took for me to be able to do that. they said “sure no problem”. it’s the only way i could imagine selling a sample library w/1800 one shots. it’s not possible to upload 1800 tracks to a release.

they added the ability for me to the “extras” section of the release. so, like if you have bonus album art etc you can put it there. i asked for ability to add a zip file. they sorted it out for me in no time at all.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip, I have contacted Bandcamp today so hopefully will hear back from them soon. Really want to share my Ableton Live drum selector kit 'cos it’s wicked. :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve had a response from BandCamp - I can now upload .zip files, thanks so much for the suggestion guys! I can now offer my packs with the correct file names, metadata and bonus content like Ableton Live drum racks.

I guess this means that now I will be uploading just two files - the preview track and the .zip folder containing everything else. Will be great for organising everything. I will be updating both this and the Pulsar-23 pack to follow this format, and will include the Live drum racks for both.

6 Likes

Just got this alongside the Tanzbar Lite and DD 01​/​IV packs in anticipation of your next(??) pack! :wink:

Seriously though, nice work on the packs and this one with the tonal samples was actually a bit of a sleeper to me. Sounds like a really fun drum machine!

2 Likes

Thanks so much! Microtonic is awesome, wish they’d release a desktop hardware version. The kicks are great on it but snares and claps are awesome as well! Glad you like the tonal stuff, it’s one of my favourite things about the Microtonic. It can make some really ethereal, airy sounds that are super unique and great for melodies.

3 Likes

Well, the Korg Volca Drum might be the closest thing of a hardware version of Microtonic. So much more spot on than the PO 32 tonic by the way.

2 Likes

It’s funny you should mention the Volca Drum. I had one for a while. My favourite Volca after the Sample, though I found the sound to be a bit lacking in body. Also the waveguide resonator I didn’t find very useful and would have rather had a distortion or something. That said I enjoyed making quirky percussive sounds with it as background loops. Also enjoyed running it through iZotope Trash 2 for nasty sounds. I’m planning on grabbing another at some point.

Not tried the PO 32, happy it exists but can’t handle such a small and fiddly interface. The Microtonic deserves a glorious desktop iteration. Would be awesome if Erica Synths were able to bring it to life.

2 Likes

@Claid Wanted to say I’ve been really liking playing around with this pack this week! The tonal stuff is truly awesome but I’m very impressed with what you’ve been able to get out of this thing all in all! If only this was available in hardware… and now it kinda is! Thanks again for putting so much work into these sample packs!

2 Likes

That’s really awesome, thank you so much! I’m glad you like it, the Microtonic is really something else isn’t it? Still hoping that one day it gets released as proper hardware… Maybe some sort of Kickstarter is in order. :smiley:

1 Like