Songs which melt away your snobbery (with only pleasure and no guilt)

I guess you mean stuff that makes me reflect on my position in the universe. These do the job, those rare times I still hear them. Truth is, there’s loads of stuff though and these are off the top of my head.

6 Likes

The best

Melt? Melty tears?

6 Likes

I only listen to music that reinforces my snobbery!

5 Likes

polyrhythms give me diaper rash

Ah, so guilty (cheesy) music pleasures. I think there’s already a big thread for that

2 Likes

My bad… just found it. Better be some Buffet and Cross in there.

5 Likes

What if you don’t feel guilty? I think this thread is justified as well!

3 Likes

Wow… that has an even longer intro than most Dire Straits tracks!

And good point Daniel. I went to Catholic school until 5th grade and this is one of the few things I don’t feel guilty about.

2 Likes

Let’s do away with guilt. It’s all pleasure!

2 Likes

If I would feel guilt it would be about stuff that I sing along to while knowing it really is crap, like Scooter, Die Antwoord or Rammstein.

If I understand your OP right, you mean songs with big heart not that much thought about style.

Like Peter Gabriel’s ”Don’t Give Up”. So many bands in the late seventies and early eighties sung about unemployment and the plight of the British working class. Bands like the Jam did it brilliantly while at the same time being extremely self conscious about their place within British pop culture. Same with for example the Specials or the Clash.

In my opinion Gabriel and Kate Bush, usually a couple of artists very far from this kind of ”unfiltered” expression, nails it in this song. Obviously not from lived experience, both coming from upper middle class backgrounds with their music careers starting while they still were teenagers, but it still feels like they mean it.

3 Likes

It’s such a wonderful song. I played it over and over when Russia invaded Ukraine last year.

1 Like

For me Peter Gabriel’s Us is a very healing album but not without trauma. It’s like ripping off a band-aide to put aloe vera on a wound.

1 Like

Oh lawd…

2 Likes

Sheesh, a huge percentage of the music I listen to falls into that category because I believe that pop is supreme, but OK, I’ll play with a recent finding:

And a classic (goddamn that chorus)

2 Likes

There’s a lot of such music that springs to mind, but Suddenly really epitomises it for me: an unashamed power ballad, full-on cheese, and 80s to the max - the kind of stuff I generally do not listen to. But this is a fucking great song.

No guilty pleasure designation here. I really like the feel of this. I aspire to this level of smooth, liquid production even though my raw materials are pretty different. Hugh Padgham and Phil/Genesis were a great match (though Phil did Easy Lover on his own and that’s GOAT material for sure).

3 Likes

Recently, this has been the one :

1 Like

Saw this live video on Japanese satellite TV years ago, and have loved this tune ever since. I recently saw a used copy of the album on vinyl at the record store for like $3, but was too embarrassed to buy it. I’ve come to appreciate a lot of 70s pop now that I’m older. Still not a fan of his other stuff, but this tune is a masterpiece. :laughing:

1 Like