Song / midi arranging with OT, A4, DT, DN

I think more patterns with empty tracks is definitely the simplest. I’d copy/paste the full patterns on the last pattern slots just in case.

Let’s think about how would you arrange your songs with a midi processor :

Would you set OT some midi tracks with mutes messages and mute them with Arranger?
Do you use midi tracks for other purposes?
You’d need one midi track per mute / status change. You’d propably need several OT patterns, depending on available midi tracks, number of different mute status you’d want.

There are many midi processors, I have some. :smile:
Midi Processors with Octatrack
Bomebox I don’t have seems very interesting. You can try Bomebox possibilities with its software trial. Midiox soft can be used as midi processor too I think.
Event Processor is limited to 10 events, not enough, (vs 32 for Plus version).

2 Likes

Another software alternative to try is Cantabile. If you can get your setup working with software, you will have more information about what you need from a hardware solution.

2 Likes

This is limited, but may help :

Actually it’s all about your habits and that difficult stage of changing them :slight_smile: Before while I was using DT and DN, I was using DT as master and using its sequencer only because IMO colorful DN track buttons are poorly designed (colored leds on colored buttons make it very difficult to understand the state). Also using only DT sequencer was very practical to mute / unmute any audio or midi track every 64 or 128 steps depending on the song / pattern. I always use clock and program change in sync.

I was hoping I could do the same with this new setup, plus now I had OT arranger. But I realized it would be a waste using OT’s midi sequencers on DT tracks since DT is much more practical and fast for sequencing rytms. In the end I decided to use each gear’s own sequencer, Ot sends clock and program change (all gear on same pattern and clock always) and only thing left was sending mute state from OT to other devices.

As you pointed out relying on multiple patterns with empty track, and maybe trig conditions (1st and contrary) might be the best way to do it. I wish there would have been more cond trigs like after 2nd,3rd, 4th loop. It could have been the permanent solution (even for DT chains)

I’ll also look into midi processors you referred to, thanks for that. But if it has to be one track per on track mute, probably it won’t cut it as you said.

But I must say I’m really disappointed with Elektron’s take on this. At least they would have an exclusive protocol between their devices for deeper control. Damn, I’d be willing to pay for a master arranger / project backup management hub product from Elektron :slight_smile:

Regardless thanks for your help!

Exactly. I tried this but some reason OT first midi track’s trigless trig cc is being sent late. DT becomes unmute on trig 2. Probably it’s the weird behavior you mentioned. Doesn’t look so relaible.

With a midi processor, you’d be able to mute / unmute several tracks with one midi track.
If you map notes, 4 maybe 8 with a 2nd trig with - 23/384 microtiming…

1 Like

Try microtiming.

1 Like

What do refer to with micro timing exactly? If I use early microtiming on OT it’ll trig on the second loop, if late it’ll trig on second step. I suppose you mean to change microtiming of first step on DT? It would work I guess.

By the way it’s good to know midi processor capabilities. I’ll be looking into that.

Incredible. Like you said shifting microtime forward on OT first trigless trig worked. Logically it sends the code late but unmutes the first DT trig on time. Yet there are weird behaviors like double stop on OT, unmute DT track and sometimes trig doesn’t send unmute at all. I guess I should take a better look.

It seems I’ve got many options now. thanks for you all help.

3 Likes

:content:
Not logical but I realised this when I found this
OT - Microkorg s bank program change solved!
Seems to works with up to - 5/384 microtiming.

Double stop sends all default CC values.

Maybe it was sent before, consecutive CCs being sent once. I’d like a option to disable that behavior. That’s why using notes + midi processor, allways sent, is safer, with the possibility to control different midi channels from one midi track.

1 Like

Makes sense. If double stop sends default cc, muting dt track manually and then play OT won’t send the same value since it’s already sent. Definitely fixing this behavior could have resolved a lot.

It’s really good to learn these methods / limitations. I definitely know the value of midi processors now and I’ll probably get one :smile: thanks again

1 Like

Don’t hesitate to ask more about them to make your choice in the below topic.
Midi Processors with Octatrack

1 Like

Render multiple versions of each part directly to :elot: and complete arrangement there with all the benefits of audio :cool:

1 Like

Haha I’m sure that will come to that after learning how to handle gear integration. Then I can imagine another level of possibilities with OT’s capabilities :grinning:

2 Likes

Yes, a bit tongue in cheek but mostly serious in my comment. I’m jamming with OT, AK and AR (among a few others) and I’ve tried using them as separate arrangers as well as program changing AK & AR from OT.

My current approach is to render multiple takes as audio in OT and then arrange it all from there - mainly using it all as sample fodder for the OT. For me, this makes more sense :).

Interesting, but don’t you loose some sounds variations? (I use a lot of random lfos / trcs)

So you mean you record long arrangements in OT for each machine?

1 Like

Ah yes, probably but I very rarely finish tracks and I feel that if I do 3-4 different variations of a verse bassline, the OT will probably allow me to do some hands-on modulation I hadn’t thought of before committing.

But I also use an old Akai DPS24 for bouncing things along the way so maybe I’m just a bit old and computer-slow (or just mental) :).

2 Likes

I guess I kind of like leaving everything editable until the last available track is used up :slight_smile: But once the main compisition done, the way of resampling, slicing and using modulation to end up with variations and even lift up certain parts of a song through OT definitely sounds like a great approach.

I’m glad that I opened this topic, you guys filled me with ideas :pray:

4 Likes

I agree, like it too but unfortunately I never manage to finish stuff if I don’t commit early on :slight_smile:
Best of luck to you and don’t forget to share experiences - I’m sure we’re many that would love that :thup:

2 Likes

Hey guys! I have another question about octatrack midi and I wanted to ask here since it’s relevant with topic.

I’ve been trying to use octatrack as master in my setup but I’m having certain issues and I’m about to give up. For now I’m using digitakt as master since it seems to me more stable in terms of sending midi messages.

The most bothering thing while using OT as master is stop or double stop doesn’t send “stop” midi message to other gears. It seems more like “pause” instead. When I press stop or double stop, play buttons of DN and A4 are lit. It behaves like a pause signal I guess. The issue here, other gears don’t get pattern / program change immediately on pause, at leasr DT and DN won’t. This may cause editing another pattern without noticing. And also they don’t start from the first step when I press play again on OT again (in sync but missing the first step). I have to press stop manually on each device to reset.

I tried this with DT as master and it works flawlessly. I just wanted to ask if this is intentional or a bug (wouldn’t believe it’s a bug after 10 years of lifespan). I couldn’t find any related option in settings.

1 Like