Sometimes I just feel like getting rid of it all

haven’t read most of the other answers, just wanted to reply…
There are moments when I want to get rid of it all…
May be make place for something else, getting away from making music at all…
Most of the time when I am making music it is about noodling around, exploring different ways to make some noise … It is a bit like wasting time but in a better way then being passive and binge some netflix…

I wonder what I would do with all the money I would save, when I
a) sell all the stuff and
b) resist buying new stuff

What would take the place of making music? Listening? Reading? Writing? Exploring the nature around me? Start making photos again with the good camera I already own? I do not know… I did it all and it was good… because I need a way to be creative…
Until I know better I will be making music… I guess… Or better so say: noodling around making some noise.

1 Like

Lately I have been playing with only a couple machines and a couple FX.
But that’s mainly because I only play regularly with buddies.

What really freed my mind from GAS was getting rid of the Blofeld and PreenFM once I decided the menus switching was killing me.
Then I decided to buoy my next synth myself, which I repeat like a mantra every time I encounter an interesting video.

Result is I have bought less gear than I played concerts since September, and GAS is really fading away.

Now about the will to play, I have been playing for a 4,5 hours concert and it just killed any wish to jam for a couple weeks.
But it’s now back as ever, cause I don’t know anything better for the mind than jamming with friends!

4 Likes

Are you selling knives now ? :smile:
Do you prefer to cut things or to open beers ? :beers:

3 Likes

Exactly. There’s no shame in simplifying your setup. I know the temptation is watching those youtube vids where performers are doing multiple elektron boxes, but if all you need is one elektron box and multitracker to make music then nothing else matters.

One other thing to add is if you dust and clean your work area you will take more pride in what you do. Cleanliness is the next thing to Godliness :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Mum?!?

3 Likes

Check this out - fascinating perspective - he says “I just pick out a few pieces of gear to use for a track, and the rest is just a storeroom.”

3 Likes

I’ve gone through this cycle a couple of times now so know the feeling well. For me, I sold all my hardware in the end last year with only one bout of series gas since that lead to me getting an octatrack again.

So glad that happened. I might be utter shit on the OT but it’s my gateway/escape from ITB music device! Getting on with it so well I consider adding to it but then I listen to stuff I’ve done recently like that metronome challenge and realise I’m still only scratching the surface with the OT.

I’m currently now reconsidering my ITB set up haha. I don’t really want Ableton and Mascgine from a clutter perspective but both have their uses. I should really take some time to look into using both together some day.

Anyway, reprioritising is a part of life in general. Seems natural that it influences music set ups from time to time!

How bout a Zombie Apocalypse Survival kit, only $23,999… :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Don’t get rid of it. It always can be useful.
Especially if you’re doing yoga and motorbike.

2 Likes

Hahahaha…
Rytm on the bottom?
Ohh, I see some A4’s too…
I’m used to the Octaplex tower… :joy:

1 Like

Open_Bike ?
Is that you ?

4 Likes

The secret for me is to enjoy the process, and the freedom to design, for yourself, the process and whether it needs to have an objective or not.

For those of us in our 40s+ … look at your mates who head out and play golf.

Some might say: Totally futile. They are never going to win The Open or The Masters. Why are they doing it? Four hours plus whacking a ball about. No legacy. No recordings. No new genres of golf.

Meanwhile, you are probably eeking out 30 minutes to yourself to occasionally trig your p’locks a few times a week.

So why not try to be at least as serious about enjoying your music-making process as other people are about the process of playing golf?

It’s about indulging yourself and enjoying it: not feeling under pressure like you need to release an album, or perform, or cut new ground … or win the Championship.

At least that is my take!

Still have an itch to release an Album though, but only if it is a timeless classic that changes the direction of music for decades.

29 Likes

golfDT

7 Likes

THAT is a great picture!
(For full disclosure I must declare I also play golf, so I know what I’m talking about in terms of time well-spent)

3 Likes

Restart at step 1

I’m 43 and only 2 of my friend’s parents are playing Golf. :smile:
I’d like to win a musical Championship, but with metronomes only ! :smile:

More seriously I felt stupid when I plugged OT/A4/MD together, with audio, midi, pattern sync. Didn’t know what to do !
I wanted to make a Star Strek musical Spaceship too, no sure about it now. Something more like modular pairs, without modulars !

2 Likes

My grandpa still golfs and he’s 102! Haha

You, Sir! Your real life name isnt Buckaroo Banzai by mistake?

2 Likes

I have no Friends…:yum:

1 Like

Ride On!
So good!

1 Like