Sometimes I just feel like getting rid of it all

Exactly my case, love to jam and absolute sucker for multi timbral instruments - which is why I miss my Virus so much - it spoiled me.

Same here … a collector of instruments … mechanically and electronically … and every piece has been well researched. But as some say that books can be good friends for a live time, I would add, good music instruments are good friends too … and who want’s to sell friends? :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe we are a mix of both, a live playing musician, who can jam, and a conductor, who needs to have the complete orchestra playing and not only a single violine or flute :wink:

Ever tried to setup and work out your electronic gear in a “classical” manner? I don’t mean to program a step sequencer with Bach’s concerts. But the classic composers had so many ideas to fill a room with sound and feeling, which is more sophisticated rather than having a 4 bar 4 to the floor pattern repeating over and over again.

If we listen careful to classical music, we find that also there pattern rule, but there is more variety. To do this with electronic instruments and modern rhythms can lead to amazing results. That this is possible has been demonstrated by Allen Parson, Vangelis, J.M. Jarre, and others.

2 Likes

What do you sample then, air? :joy: (Which is interesting proposition :thinking:)

Love that thing. Such gooey goodness.

I think the idea it was made exclusively with a 303 has more legend than fact to it.

Whatever the case, yes, one of the best ever. I put it on my list over in the desert island albums thread.

The more I use samples the more amazing it becomes. Absolute masterpiece.

Yep, I think I read somewhere that specifically, he used it to sample, chop and resample stuff until he got the sounds he wanted. Then, he poured it all into a more elaborate production environment.

While the romantic notion of a genius musician finding his way to a great album through just a simple piece of gear is lovely, I just can’t imagine anyone would put up with the 303 sequencer for such an elaborate production as Donuts was. Sound design, absolutely. Putting a track together - as a sketch, perhaps, but not more.

But it doesn’t really matter. The 303 is a lovely piece of kit and very useful for many things. And Donuts is a bleedin’ awesome album.

1 Like

They pop up from time to time over here, but I always hesitate to pull the trigger, thinking that in the end, the Smart Media format and the cumbersome (if even possible) file transfer might bug me too much.

I borrowed one for awhile, though. I really do think it adds character to whatever you pour into it, a sort of soft and warm feeling to its content, and whenever it shows up, I have my hand on the trigger, though haven’t fired away so far. Probably never will, since the lust for gear is fading by the day now.

a bit of a depressing vibe here, considering we’re talking about the privilige of owning instruments :wink:

But the privilege consciousness is the main reason some of us experience guilt in the first place. The more idle gear you own and the more you tell yourself you could have done better things with that money.

Also, the more gear you own the more apparent is your delusion of grandeur. It’s obviously a little less painful to be a nobody when you spent nothing to get there.

1 Like

Sometimes I just feel like getting rid of it all, except music hardware and instruments.

6 Likes

For sure. I know that feeling very well

This is why my wife calls this the elektronaut support group

5 Likes

I’m broke. Can’t buy cables.

3 Likes

yes but that even when I do record, I have a hard time working on it afterwards :stuck_out_tongue:
lately I’ve been thinking of just separating a few things (BD and SD on cue outs, hard-panned) and just recording all the rest together… but now that I’ve learned a bit about mixing, I can’t deal with having hihats mixed with percussion or, even worse, melodic layers.
then again… I listen to recordings I did straight from the output - just a little compression, master eq… and it sounds pretty good!

2 Likes

She sang it loud and proud into my open Mike… :smile:

She gets the downloads straight from the goddess of love and good jujuberries…

Then I do this to activate the galactic open mic to recieve it… :heart_eyes:

Then of course I sample myself into the ol Octatrack to deliver… :joy:

3 Likes

Kazoo!

The authors conclude that parents, schools and nurseries should pack away most of their toys and just rotate a small number regularly, to encourage children to become more creative and improve their attention spans.

“The higher number of incidences of play in the 16 toy condition did seem to interfere with duration and depth of play. Other toys present may have created a source of external distraction.

“During toddlerhood, children develop, but may not have mastered, higher level control over attention. Their attention, and therefore, their play may be disrupted by factors in their environments that present distraction.

“The results of the present study suggest that an abundance of toys may create such a distraction.

“When provided with fewer toys in the environment, toddlers engage in longer periods of play with a single toy, allowing better focus to explore and play more creatively".

7 Likes

Tie one arm behind your back and close one eye.

4 Likes

•Get a mate, tie your legs together and have a three legged beat making race

•Put an egg on a spoon and hold it with your teeth for the whole process, drop it and you have to start again

•5-a-side synth battles

3 Likes

Good point. Definitely a concern. I’m slowly transitioning my career this year to instrument building (and other endeavours), so maybe I’ll make my own case …

1 Like

Or look at getting a pedalboard rather than a big heavy flight case.