Something new

Yeah look like pads in the vid or guess could be seen as floating ‘loops’, albeit square(ish) ones :wink: dunno how literal or cryptic any of the imagery or sound is in the vid.
Or looks maybe even like computer keyboard ‘keys’, something Op1ish maybe? I thought the blurry image might be something small form cos of the spacing between the pads/trigs whatever they are… The music sounds pretty op1ish too… God knows really tho…

1 Like

Yes it does! That lovely ambient means it has at least reverb effect, and a good one :slight_smile: (at least from phone speaker)

2 Likes

maybe they’re O’s

now this video i like. it’s beautiful to watch and listen to. sounds like a sampled loop to me, derived from some very different source sound. and the video
strikes me less as a teaser (guess what we’re hinting at!) and more as a harbinger.

2 Likes

My money is on a sweet sweet Elektron QWERTY board. It’s about time someone took on the Cherry MX monopoly, and from the pictures it looks like they’re also tackling the long-standing keyboard ergonomics issue.

3 Likes

Given that the MicroGranny has been in Dataline’s rig for some time, it’s reasonable to think they’ve had their eyes on granular synthesis for some time. I’m sure he’s very influential in their product development, if not even the creative head of it.

So a granular instrument with a synth engine and samples to boost - perhaps an eight track engine or something, where you pick either synthesis or samples per patch - with the Elektron sequencer updated to accomodate for this - also a precursor for what to expect from their sequencers in the future - smaller in size, to somehow match the idea of slices and snippets grained into little pieces - and to match the Heat in size, which I’d imagine would work wonders together with a granular synth.

Doesn’t compete with anything they have. Truly a unique instrument on the market. Works great with their current gear, and most likely on its own as well. A mix and match of their existing techniques. Granular synthesis done not by a boutique developer, but a major player than can put it into a context where it can be an entire production on its own.

6 Likes

Kinda the OT meets Op1 that a bunch of us hoped heat was gonna be? I’m in :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Definitely granular or reverb based. Maybe both? Floating box’s kinda says reverb to me for some reason. Plus the sound is lush and distant so there’s that clue.

2 Likes

I thought of reverb too w/ those boxes. You could tune the reverb based on room properties like size. It doesn’t sound super granular… or it sounds more like crude granular that you can get w/ OT.

3 Likes

Also I’m thinking definitely digital here, considering the old school digi graphics

2 Likes

Yes. It’s come up regularly, for some time, on this forum. And granular stuff can be anything from fragile and beatiful, to downright ugly and menacing. That’s so Elektron’s sound.

And there’s no mainstream granular synth on the hardware market. Those that are, are peculiar and interesting but always intended to be part of a whole, not a solitary environment like Elektron’s instrument can be, and do so damn well.

And granular isn’t really for the hardcore. Any track can benefit from the ambience and atmosphere of properly designed and executed granular stuff.

I’m really really hoping this is it. I’d camp outside their HQ until launch, if it was.

9 Likes

I’m hoping for a crazy looper/granular hybrid with fx

3 Likes

A different version of the video is up on instagram. Very reverb-y

4 Likes

Gotta go with reverb/delay sumpin’ guess. Pedal? Box? Dunno. I’ve felt since the release of Heat capitalized on their filter/distortion/drive technology that they would soon release something to capitalize on and expand on their reverb/delay technology, which I really like personally.

But, I really do hope it’s a granular/sampler/octatrack2 with analog filters kinda thingy.

Something that would take granular and mesh it with ARs reverb fx track would be something else. I can imagine reverb explosions as a sample gets stretched and smeared across the the audio spectrum! Better get my spaceship ready! :loopy:

1 Like

Very Tron. I smell a reverb too. Although in the first pic the machine looks larger than the Heat, which would be the obvious format choice if it’s simply going to be another FX box. Hmm.

1 Like

Electron has switched to modular but everything is in electron-box format instead of eurorack.

I think I saw floating screws? Maybe a nod to spring reverbs?

Isn’t Blurr a kind of parameter for a convolution reverb ?

2 Likes

Imagine a superdelay that can be a looper, delay, chorus/flanger, granular, with a reverby reflection engine thrown in… And a modulation/morphing system to traverse through any of these states. Would be ace!

2 Likes