Some questions regarding AR sampling and MIDI

Hi! I want to buy my first Elektron device and I’m into AR and I have two questions I couldn’t really find simple answers to.

1. As I understand correctly with the latest firmware I will be able to use AR sequencer to sequence external synthesizer, just like Digitakt can, correct? If not, then what’s the difference?

2. Sampling - I found this comparison between AR and Digitakt:
    AR: Sample Start + Sample End
    DT: Sample Start + Sample Length
    but I’m not sure what does it really mean, what’s the difference in the workflow.

3. Sampling again. I assume AR is able to resample, for example, a drum loop. Then, if I’d want to cut and re-arrange the sample does it also provide this nice view of sample cuts being played as Digitakt? I mean exactly this, what can be seen in this video https://youtu.be/RybFJaJm5zI?t=1344 (exactly in 22:24)

No. The sequencer can send midi notes only, from 12 to 60 (C1-C5 iirc).
It uses tracks 1-12 and Fx track, there’s a SEND MIDI option per track, that’s all.

2 Likes

if the sample was 120 units long and you wanted both devices to play appx the same portion, say the second quarter you’d e.g. on AR set appx start 30 length 30 whereas on DT you’s set 30 and 60 - both appx play the second quarter of the 120unit long sample - the DT therefore has a moving window which is infinitely better imho, it’s more musical and useful - there are pros and cons

3 it resamples but it doesn’t have the flexibility of the DT in terms of editing, not sure about views as i didn’t look at the video but it’s basic

4 Likes

AR does have waveform view but due to behaviour difference the playback would be different.

IMHO AR should be updated to have length instead of end, much more useful.

That said in every other way I prefer AR, the analog filters per track are super nice, 7 types to choose from.

3 Likes

no complaints here, but for current compatibility (if there’s any reluctance to change up) they could at least offer a new mod destination which is Start&End, a step in the right direction for some use cases

2 Likes

@avantronica thank for the explanation regarding Start and End/Len.
@darenager Thanks! I just found this https://youtu.be/t51_1VFDml4?t=55 it looks very much like Digitakt :slight_smile:

1 Like