Some questions before buying the A4 (mkII)

Hi!
First post here! I wonder a little about the A4.

Is it possible to hook a keyboard to the midi in and still sequence the A4 from the computer? Like having the keys version.

Is it possible to trig each voice separately from a computer? Like having 4 analog synths hooked up to your daw.

Is it also possible to trig cv through the A4 from a computer (or other device sending midi)? Usining the A4 as a midi to cv converter. (Adding yet another synth to the setup)

Can i use the cv channel without sacrificing a voice of the A4? Like using all four voices and simultaneously sending cv to control something else without feeding the signal back to the A4.

Can i send midi from the usb to an external keyboard with the midi through? Controlling my dx7 from the daw without using up all my usb ports or buying another usb to midi device.

I’ve been reading a lot about this synth but everything seem to focus on other nice stuff like the awesome on board sequencer (which i have big plans on) but i want to also be able to slave it (and my Voyager OS and dx7) to the daw and there seems to be very little information on that. I will basically use it as a center synth hub in my studio.
I hope I didn’t ask to many questions already answered in other threads. I have searched the web without getting any clarity.

Other than that the A4 seems like a real Gem! I can see myself incorporate it too my live looping setup as well! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

I think everything except this^ is Yes

You’ll see how it works if you explore what the Auto Channel can do and what the midi settings for specific tracks permits

USB MIDI does not appear at DIN by design

1 Like

Well, that one was a bit of a long shot. :slight_smile:

This seems awesome! One of the more complete products out there! :smiley:

But just to make sure.

I can use the A4 to play my cv gear from the DAW like, for example, when i connect the Sub37 to the daw with usb (just some more cables and a little setup)?

No. CV from A4 can Not Go through a DAW and then via USB to the Sub. CV over is not supported on any Computer or DAW. And the Sub37 doesnt Support CV via USB either.

Sorry if I formulated myself badly.

When i had the Sub37 and prophet 8 i could sequence it from my DAW (midi channel) via the usb cable. No CV involved.

As I understand, i can do the same with the A4’s voices. But can i also do it with the CV out? Or is the CV only hardwired to the sequencer?

In other words, can i use the A4 as an midi to CV interface between my Daw and my CV gear?

Just: DAW—>A4—>Moog. Not the other way around.

Same answer already given for your original question

Yes

You can play the CV Track from a Daw using the appropriate MIDI channel
The CV track will then play the device connected by CV

1 Like

Great! Sorry for repeating myself, it is easy to loose one self in the specs of this box.

Finally I have another version of question five… Or numer one…
If i connect my dx7, or other midi keyboard, to the midi in on the A4(connected to the computer via usb), can i then use the Dx7 to play software instruments?
Like using the onboard keyboard for the same application.

Dx7(midi out)—>A4(usb)—>Computer.

It is an unit at a steep price so i like to be sure before purchasing. (It’s between this and the prophet rev2. The CV and drum machine capabilities gives the A4 the edge but i really loved my old prophet 08 both as a synth and as a master keyboard. :slight_smile: )

Just looking without trying i’d say the following

The USB side will reflect any input track activity programmed by master kbd
The DIN Thru will contain all master keyboard midi

There is no soft thru between din and USB or vice versa ( in fact there is no USB thru )

So I doubt your configuration will offer the flexibility you want