Soma quantum ocean

That’s what makes it so good for meditating.

6 Likes

:joy: made me laugh

The same part of me that shamefully hides in my closet listening to Coast to Coast AM Radio on the weekends desperately wants to buy this. I loved the PDF. It is so SOMA.

2 Likes

Anyone who has affected the Lyra’s output using intention and thought will probably appreciate this.
Also anyone who’s trans-dimensional and/or familiar with astral projection etc…
I’d imagine being decalcified would be a prerequisite for advanced use.

I better read the pdf :grin:

1 Like

Yes, it’s very SOMA.

This is not a normal synth company, in case anybody didn’t notice yet.

I’ve seen adverts for other devices intended to assist in meditation or just relaxation, like in the old Omni magazine. They cost more than what SOMA is asking for this thing.

1 Like

Mega Roswells!

In case anyone expects this device to make anything like the sound in the YouTube video … don’t. It just produces noise. I have not looked at the spectrum but it sounds just like white noise. I expected the touch pads to modulate the sound, thinking these are pads like on the Lyra but again, there is no perceptible modulation occurring. To be fair to them, in the manual they state that this is a esoteric device and what you get is indeed the equivalent of homeopathy in music :slight_smile: I did not read the manual beforehand, assumed it to take elements from their Ether and Lyra devices. I think now, they took the piss out of us with this one :slight_smile:

I thought it was pretty clear that this was a white noise generator designed as a mediation aid. It’s definitely not a musical instrument and should not be treated as such. Machines like this are more about what is (or isn’t) happening in your head than what’s happening in the machine.

1 Like

absolutely made for experimental music but meant to be for extraterrestrial experiences.

Yes, all fine. I like their stuff and approach, which is why I just ordered it without a specific plan but from the video had slightly different expectations. Anyway, I love these creative makers of devices and enjoy taking the plunge with their devices.

1 Like

that rare stage of music making where you basically move physically and mentally into another dimension.

that’s Vlads background

Who is the market though? Meditators would just use a free white noise app if they need one and soma is obviously a synthesiser company. It feels like woo peddling to the hardware crowd with more money than sense and probably the occasional new tripper. Presenting a white noise box like this is a bit predatory in my opinion. I’m all for getting weird with it, but this isn’t actually getting weird with it at all beyond the marketing jargon. Probably gonna get slated because vlad is a unique guy running a small operation but it doesn’t change the fact it’s a one knob white noise generator being dressed up as the doorway to your soul

@JohnnyEgo I’ll bet you can have 100 really extraterrestrial experiences for less than this will cost

1 Like

It is what it is, which I thought was pretty clear from the marketing and manual.
Vlad makes no secret of his shamanistic tendencies. The Quantum Ocean, as far as I’m concerned, is part of that side of his interests and should be understood in that context.
If you don’t want it, don’t buy it.

5 Likes

Ok

Anyone remember the Voodoo Magick box? It was a cranial electro stimulation device attatched via electrodes to the ear that could allegedly bring about altered states. You can make one quite easily either from a bunch of components or by setting a TENS machine appropriately.

http://ces.wastelands.net/wiki/Voodoo_Magick_Box

You can also stimulate the vagus nerve in a similar way.

Anyway I find it quite interesting but obviously proceed with caution if tempted to try any of this.

1 Like

Awesome - it’s super interesting! I just googled the shit out of ‘vagus nerve’.

For anyone who has no idea what that is or what is does (like me up until thirty minutes ago) it’s well worth a little time exploring the internet rabbit hole.

If you overstimulate your vagus nerve you will pass out. It basically shut’s you down. If for example you faint at the sight of blood (or something else that freaks you out) that’s your vagus nerve. (I get a bit woozy if I see too much blood so I like knowing the real reason why that happens). It also apparently and rather paradoxically helps you relax when you’re faced with a fight or flight situation after your body has been flooded with adrenaline.

1 Like

I thought this mystery box would involve binaural beats. White noise is kinda not interesting. At least lyra is somewhat interactive while it sends you to another dimension.

Well, it is binaural in a loose sense of the word because there are dual noise generators in stereo. This does sound noticeably different from mono white noise.

Anyone buy one of these?
PM if you don’t want discuss in public…

1 Like