SOLVED! Convince me to keep my modular

You can do a lot of cool things with maths and filter8 as voices :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Sell it. Don’t just buy something else for the same amount, if you’re already happy with what you have. Buy a nice new music thing for half the amount and bank/holiday the rest of the amount!

(Doesn’t really spark much joy as the only voice in my book)

Okay then keep it! :wink:

I’d sell most of it but keep a few good interesting voices in a smallish rack…that is what I did and it works great with my MPC and Pyramid.

So you sold the modules you didnt like. Do you like the ones you still have? If so, redesign the system and go with that. If not sell the lot.

VCV is free so if you want to scratch the modular itch, you can.

I’d be tempted to make some tracks solely with the modular and see what can be achieved without the distraction of other gear. If it’s fun, repeat the process. If not, then pack it away for a few months and if you don’t miss it, sell it.

1 Like

It is somewhat eye-opening to see someone post about selling most of their modules with a pathetic half-case remaining and see others post about how to restock.

It doesn’t sound as if OP ever cared for it, and there’s no point in trying to change their mind.

Sell what is left. Especially the case. An empty modular case is of no immediate use and could easily become an albatross.

4 Likes

Sell it.

1 Like

everyone else said “sell it” already… so i say “give it away” instead! :rofl:

I’m contrarian on this: Sell the Syntakt and op-z and the boring 1u oscillators and get a complex osc and a load of utilities. Sequence and sample with Push and or pick up a DT/OT

Then again, it could become a phoenix!

2 Likes

Maybe the Coaching Tool Tetralemma is helpfull:
The Tetralemma involves considering four perspectives: Yes, No, Both, and Neither. Let’s analyze your situation using this framework:

Yes: You could choose to sell the whole modular setup.
    This option might provide you with financial resources or help you declutter if you feel overwhelmed.
    Selling your modular setup could allow you to explore other creative avenues or invest in equipment that inspires you more.

No: You could choose to keep your modular setup as it is.
    It's possible that you haven't fully tapped into the potential of your current modules.
    By exploring and experimenting with different patch configurations and techniques, you might discover new ways to find inspiration within your existing setup.

Both: You could consider a middle ground approach by re-designing and giving your modular setup a purpose.
    Assess your current setup and identify the modules that resonate with you the most.
    Research and explore additional modules that could complement your existing setup and fill any gaps.
    Re-organize your modules, create dedicated patches or themes, and establish a clear workflow that aligns with your musical goals.

Neither: You might consider exploring other creative avenues outside of modular synthesis.
    Perhaps modular synthesis is not the right medium for you at this time, and that's okay.
    Explore other forms of music production or creative outlets that might better align with your current interests and inspirations.
    You could experiment with different software synthesizers, DAWs, or even acoustic instruments to reignite your creativity.

Consider reflecting on these perspectives and evaluate which option feels most aligned with your goals, interests, and inspirations. Remember that there’s no right or wrong answer, and the goal is to find a solution that brings you joy and fulfillment in your creative journey

2 Likes

love this tool! thank you for sharing.

1 Like

If you feel bad about your expensive gear:

Try to use it every day for 5-10 mins during a month, even if you don’t feel like it. It is only 10 minutes after all. You’ll get to learn how to use it finally, so enjoy.

If for some reason you observe that you simply don’t want to use one or more pieces of gear, pack the concerned pieces of equipment away.

After a while (2-3 months) put it back in its spot and try the above again - and if you still feel bad about it, consider it for sale.

2 Likes

IMG_4992

2 Likes

Yolo replace it with something cool that you’re excited about. Worth the ‘rental fee’ to price things to move quickly so you’re not going over it back and forth.

If it were a very sudden desire to sell, I’d suggest sitting on it for a night or two, but if you’ve been thinking about it for a while and haven’t used it in longer… go forth my friend, and live a little, maybe add a proper sampler to the syntakt/opz combo that isn’t a computer! <3

1 Like

Modular is so fascinating and hilarious in that it requires posts like these, flow charts, spread sheets, and decision making paradigms to deal with. Compared to other instruments anyway. It feels emotional/visceral at times.

Feels like you should definitely sell it, but I cannot be trusted since I’ve been through varying emotional states about my own case over the last year.

1 Like

folks, decision has been made! I put it up for sale and half of it’s sold and shipped already, no regrets. And I bought a Mood mkii Pedal to use for more processing duties which is more where my head is at these days. The quest for the perfect modular system is a wormhole to another dimension, and as fun as it is, I’ve never had so much gear anxiety in my life. Much happier focussing on sampling/processing and groove boxes

14 Likes

You’ve become a master of your own destiny. Charge forth and prosper!

2 Likes