Solutions for dealing with dust?

I’ve been noticing my videos being SUPER dusty, my fault for shooting in 4K
I’ve tried the old brush trick, and I keep deck savers on as much as possible
but I’m curious to hear what everyone has used and what works best
vacuums? dust off? softer brushes? some sort of dust magnet?

any suggestions help, anything I should watch out for helps as well

thank you

3 Likes

I have an air filter going in my studio at all times and I brush everything off with a feather duster every once in a while. Absolutely no dust problems. And my studio is in an old semi-renovated barn so its not hermetically sealed or anything either.

The best thing for dusting by far is this: 14" Apex Line Premium Ostrich Feather Duster - Black (ALTAAP14B) Flexible so if doesn’t move knobs or faders, soft so doesn’t scratch screens, and it picks up all the dust.

7 Likes

any suggestions on air purifiers?
prices seem to range wildly

thank you for the suggestion on the feather duster, in the cart already
the brush I bough seemed to often make things worse after a certain point

1 Like

Vacuum regularly. Ive noticed a lot less dust in general

1 Like

I do, forgot to mention it, but I vacuum regularly
curious if any sort of hand vac will pull dust off of gear reliably?

also it’s worth mentioning the dust isn’t quite visible to the naked eye
it shows up on the recordings WAY worse than you can tell in person
so what might be “not dusty” to some is pretty dusty to me

Gotta shoot 56k modem speeds. No one will see the dust…or shapes for that matter.

3 Likes

yeah, it’s something that really becomes a problem w/ 4k
especially with bright lighting, often times it looks perfectly clean
but then I see a spec or some fibers

noticing it in professional videos as well (like gear promos)

2 Likes

Yeah, dust is tough with the high-res. That, and I always notice stray hairs on actors and actresses that I didn’t notice back before these nice cameras and tv’s.

1. Quasi-commercial vacuum (cheap, high suction, easy maintenance, zero other features, institutional aesthetic)
  2. Air filter that is probably undersized for the room
  3. Soft paint brush. A chipbrush will do, but a softer brush will get more dust with less effort

I also use separate footwear for indoor and outdoor, so I don’t track dirt and debris from outside into my studio/office.

2 Likes

air filter seems like the solution, thank you
gonna pick one up, there goes another chunk of budget

1 Like

I like the levoit brand ones. They are quiet (unless on max), and you can turn off all the lights on them. They last forever too, I have never had one stop working and the one in my house has been constantly on since before my 4yo daughter was born lol. You can vacuum the outer filters as well so you don’t have to replace them for a looong time.

Depending on the size of your studio these two have worked well for me:

https://levoit.com/products/lv-h133-true-hepa-air-purifier

https://levoit.com/products/lv-h134-tower-true-hepa-air-purifier

2 Likes

was gonna say similar things!

the air filter and dehumidifier (when seasonally applicable) keep the space nearly dust free.

…just remember to shut the air filter off when tracking vocals or needing a mic

i have a thing like this but it’s like much larger. …not sure if that matters if the tech has changed but mine is discontinued

Blueair Pro M is 50% off right now. That’s still a hefty $350 though. Also, replacement filters are about $85 each. I’ve had a less expensive one of their products before and I felt satisfied with that. It made a notable difference.

After using feather dusters, swiffer dusters, and deck savers, I bought the biggest make up brush I could find online and I now use that regularly. Swiffers always left a bunch of little fuzz and feather dusters collected dust over time for me. Figured since dust isn’t on many peoples makeup, it could do wonders for my gear… now i’ll probably never go back.

2 Likes

A paint brush is a good alternative, nice and soft bristles. Make sure it’s a decent one that doesn’t shed bristles.

Alternatively, there’s always the Befaco Synth Duster. :smiley:

i would advise against using brushes and would suggest just a small dust blower. (rubber one)
it nullifies chance for any scratches and does pretty much the same thing as brush.

my parents have an air purifier and it does nothing for dust (but they have a cheap one so idk)

things that work for me personally:

1. open windows mostly in “upslant”, to reduce external dust (if you can, open only those that dont face a busy street)
  2. regulate amount of showers, skincare/haircare, to reduce dead skincells and hair
  3. semi regular cleaning (especially wet rag -> floor)

your floor is a dust magnet by default due to gravity. and if you combine it with a dust blower and wet cleaning, you should be able to keep it under control!

1 Like

DUST I hate the stuff - turn my back for 5 minutes and it’s settled on something. My gear is in front of a window too so the light makes it super obvious. I use a paintbrush daily, decksavers will definitely be a good option, I just embrace the suffering.

One thing worth trying, which might help a little, is an antistatic gun. Dust will always settle on objects regardless, especially if they’re flat, but static plays a part. Clean labs use special ionising fans to help with this I believe, if you can get an air filter that ionises I assume that would be the best of both worlds.

Edit: Googles Ionising filters

Maybe dust isn’t so bad??

1 Like

I’ve been using a Datavac blower and a very soft bristle brush and it works great. Brush with the one hand while blowing in the same spot with the Datavac.

Mmm, lovely lovely dust.

2 Likes