Solid State Logic .. SSL Big SiX

Beautiful mixer! My main concern, though, is that the two “cue sends” (aka aux sends) are only pre-fader, which I believe would make it difficult to use them as proper sends to external fx.

Edit: my bad - misread the presentation… it is possible to set both sends to post

They have a «post» button. So that won’t be an excuse to not buy. Hehe

2 Likes

Excellent, yes! Not good for my bank account…

Yes. If I recall correctly from the one time I tried the DB25 there was a big drop in level. Not sure if that was buffering thing or not. Not sure I know what I’m talking about but maybe with more room they sorted it out on the biggie.

1 Like

The mono inputs can pan the sends, the stereo inputs can’t. However, if you’re input to the stereo ch is mono, it won’t matter.

From the manual:

Both sends are fed from channel pre-fade, post-insert, but can be switched to Post Fader by
engaging the corresponding CUE POST switch in the Foldback master section.

2 Likes

Just guessing here…

it’s a summing input. You need to be able to chuck several hot channels at it simultaneously. Either it needs incredible headroom or each channel needs some attenuation.

1 Like

:+1: Good call. I was putting mic’s on ch1 and 2 thru the eventide H9 straight back in the return (all thru the DB25). I’ll have a go at putting it thru my A&H zed6 after the H9 to give it a boost.

also: pushing into the H9 got too distorted, and overlooked increasing the H9 output (things one overlooks when ignoring ipad applications)

This looks perfect for a small home studio. I’m sure they’ll sell a heap.

3 Likes

I suppose I’ll need one of these to go with the Syntrx. (And all the other gear)

3 Likes

5 Likes

Anyone want to buy a second hand SSL Six? lol, I’m upgrading.

6 Likes

I’ve got $75 left in my bank account after Black Friday, but I’m not sure that will cover shipping. :pleading_face:

1 Like

Damn, they got me. Preordered.

5 Likes

Still wondering if it REALLY makes sense to use SSL for electronic music and especially for dirty sub genres?

For sure it’s a quality board, just a joy to work with and should be solid and reliable, but what it can bring “sound wise” to our machines?

I never used SSL, only touched older bigger consoles a few times in commercial studios during mixdown sessions of friendly projects. But what I’ve learned - top quality EQ and PRES sounds very subtle and “clean” and despite it’s really nice for live music and acoustic instruments, it doesn’t make so much fun with electronics. I still prefer Mackie’s dirtiness to more “clean” Allen Heath at home and somehow afraid that SSL will be too “clean” and “characterless”.

What do you guys, think? Who has better experience with SIX and older consoles, is it really worth it for electronics?

Still getting one at some point just because it’s absolutely incredibly well designed : )

4 Likes

I had a Mackie before the SIX and it is a big difference in quality. The SSL sounding much better (at five times the price, but still not too expensive for what you get, I think). I would never choose the Mackie over it for character. Before the SIX I thought the Mackie sounded absolutely fine, so it is more after I heard the difference that my opinion was formed. For the price, the Mackie’s are great off course, although mine did crap out after a few years of use. We’ll see how the SSL holds up, but it is nicely build and a gratifying thing to have around the studio, if that makes sense. I definitely think the BIG SIX is even better value and will probably upgrade at some point.

1 Like

I’m holding out for all those cheap SiXes that are about to flood the used market :wink:

9 Likes

Hey Marc, could you please describe that difference a bit? What exactly was the improvement? All sounded cleaner, deeper, more focused? What about eq and compression, are they useful for more “xtream” sound tweaking?

I hear you. And agree. But when I first hooked up the SSLSiX and started playing the difference was plain enough to justify the decision to buy it. You have to listen for yourself.

1 Like

Agree, you never know before you try.

I played a bit with SIX in a store while checking some synths (it was the main mixer at their desk ), honestly noticed no big “difference” or anything, just the sound : ) But of course one has to try it for longer period, check different sources etc…