Solid State Logic six compact mixer

Hi, really enjoying this thread and now waiting for a SiX to arrive. While I wait I’ve spent sometime thinking about how I might route things from DT, DN, OT, and Ableton. My main aim is to be able to avoid switching cables as much as possible, not always, but I’d really like to be able to just come up to my tiny desk switch stuff on and be able to get sounds moving. Additionally my goal is to be able to sample into the OT and use Ableton for send fx, along with also being able to sample into OT directly. (I do also sample into the DT from Ableton, but currently just use the USB audio for that.)

With all this in mind, the following is the mapping I’ve currently come up with.

As Ableton and the Six share the same pair of monitors, these are accessable to both via SiX’s main out. Initially, I had it the other way around, but this way means I don’t have to have my laptop open or on to use the rest of the setup. As I can send the main mix to the monitor out, which is going into my interface, I can always record whatever is going to the main mix into Ableton.

The main drawback I can see is that the setup does not currently support, via the SiX, directly sending the OT into Ableton, without going via the monitor bus, but I thought if this was something I wanted to do I can either use inputs 1/2 on my audio interface to send the OT directly or use inputs 1/2 on the SiX, which I don’t have permanently assigned, to handle this use case. As you can choose that EXT2 (OT) is sent to the monitor bus, I’m not sure this is really an issue, and probably just over thinking it.

Interested to know what people think and if there is a better alternative routing?

Was wondering when a decksaver would come out…I like to leave my cables plugged in though, so I’ll probably pass. I’ve been using my spare Digi-sized decksaver to cover the faders and most of the switches. Actually fits pretty well.

3 Likes

As cool as this mixer has been I have found myself thinking about letting it go. For my setup, it just makes everything incredibly complicated, and I lose a lot of i/o. Plus I seem to get the character I want summing into the OTO boum more than from the SSL.

Definitely a luxury item in my setup, still debating …

3 Likes

They do make a full coverage Decksaver (with somewhat goofy-looking jack coverage) here:

Trying to figure out how to use the talkback mic input but can’t seem to get any signal, is there any button I need to press to route it?

I moved my SiX the other day and noticed a rattling sound, so opened it up to check if anything had come loose and found the small bolt and washer that fixes the out/send DB25 lead to the bottom of the DB25 connector on the inside of the unit had come loose.

As it’s the bottom bolt (below the top bolt indicated by the yellow arrow in the pic), it’s basically impossible to get at without removing the back vertical circuit board which holds all the rear connections.

It feels a bit OTT to send this in for such a small thing but I don’t really want to leave it for various reasons.

I’ve taped the bolt and washer to the inside of the unit for now so they don’t get lost, and wondered if anyone had removed this back area for any reason, and if it was an easy job? I’m ok with bits of small jobs but I’m no skilled engineer.

1 Like

I have to say, after a few months with the TX-6 mixer, I really miss the push and pull of the SiX preamps and compressor. I don’t regret the switch, but the TX is very fragile in comparison :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Congratulations you found the most annoying speaking person on Youtube. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Guess you haven’t been on YouTube much.

2 Likes

Anyone else have issues using a SM57 with the SiX preamps? Low output and lots of distortion with the gain turned up.

Had some time so I was doing a comparison with a few of my preamps. All used the same cable and same SM57. The SiX failed miserably, it has to be a me issue!

Have you tried other mics with the Six, or is the 57 the only mic you have to try? Have you tried it on both channels to see if it isn’t an issue with one channel?

I record guitars with an SM57 and Royer 121. Both sound great. No issues.

@HoldMyBeer

I did try both channels and it was the same. The 57 is my only dynamic mic, I’ll try a condenser later. Thanks!

@Francis

Good to know, thanks! I know I have to be doing something wrong.

If you get a chance, take some closeup pics of the various sections of the Six, and post them so we can see all of the settings.

1 Like

Did a quick speaking test with my Six, a 57 and a 58β.

• gain closer to 3 o’clock than 2),
  • no HPF
  • no compresor
  • some ambient sound leaking through my open-backed headphones

The 57 peaked at -6 and averaged around -15. Seemed pretty clear, no distortion.

The 58β peaked at -0 and averaged around -6. No distortion.

I could try doing recordings later if you want more detail. I don’t do much mic work these days so I’m not familiar with the response specs of either mic (I got them 'cos they were a good deal rather than because I needed them). Given the mics marketing blurbs, I’m unsurprised the 57 was quieter (they pitch it for loud sources like guitar cabs). I also added some compression and it sounded really nice :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed info! I’ll dive back in after work.

Quickly at lunch I unplugged the SiX and let the PSU drain. Powered up and sounded better but again it was a quick test. I’ll dive in later!

1 Like

That’s gonna leave a stain.

1 Like

I did it over a bucket! Not getting me again!

1 Like

Finally got a few minutes to test again. The SiX is working prefect. For my testing I was using the 404 as a reference, sampling each pre amp. For whatever reason though the 404 does not like the output of the SiX when using the mic pres. Line and hi-z no problems.

Convinced it’s still a me problem, off to try again!

1 Like