So, what do you do?

Make people happy: sick kids and lonely elders (and/or vice versa) especially.

4 Likes

I used to work in a record store too for seven years. I loved the job and was very good at it too, but felt that I couldnā€™t justify working at some other personā€™s shop at 35. I felt that at that point of my life I really shouldā€™ve been the shop owner. When the company started to lay off people during tight times, I volunteered to leave first in hopes that my friends could keep their jobs. A book store would be a beautiful place to work at too.

Actually now that you mentioned it, thereā€™s a very good second hand book/comic/record store whose owner always jokes that I should buy the shop from him (Heā€™s over 60 and ready to retire.) The shop is filled from floor to the ceiling with beautiful and rare books & records. That would also be my dream job, owning a second hand bookstore with bottomless & crazy selection of stuff. Heā€™s never sold stuff on the internet so thereā€™s piles of very valuable stuff there just for the next owner to put on discogs etc. That would fill all my aspirations. Ecologic, second hand, a bit like a librarian but without the five years of university aheadā€¦ Hmmm, I wonder if a bank would give me a business loan?

13 Likes

Thatā€™s a sign, like in capitals I would say. Even bank loans canā€™t stop this amount of synchronicity.

1 Like

I have to admit, thatā€™s not a reply I expected to get or something that I have even considered. But itā€™s a wonderful idea. I am going to look into options for volunteering. Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Daytime Job is system administrator for an ERP System. I am also studying IT Management (bachelor) after work.
In the summer I am a weekend baseball umpire. This funds all the stuff I want in the studio as its money I normally would not have. Great thing if one of your hobbies pays for one of your hobbies.

5 Likes

What an amazing opportunity. Seriously, if the overheads arenā€™t too high (which is a huge problem with shop ownership here in the UK) and it looks financially viable then Iā€™d go for it. Sounds like a business you can build on and fit around your own tastes and expertise.

I had the chance to buy a record shop a few years ago. This was just before vinyl really caught on again and I couldnā€™t convince the bank it was a good idea. It was such a great shop as well - lovely customers and gently curated. I spent a fortune in there! I still regret not finding a way to make it happen.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s also the thing that the store could double as my study. I could do my graphic design/illustration work there on slower days. I wouldnā€™t fall completely flat if the store didnā€™t provide enough money. Itā€™s really really tempting but Iā€™d love to have a business partner to do it with. Someone who loves vinyl/books/comics/movies as much as I do. Doing this kind of thing alone is a bit overwhelming.

6 Likes

Day job is as a curriculum developer. I work on managerial / leadership training programs, both self-guided online, and instructor led. I get to push the role around a little bit with internal podcasts and video content as well.

Music life is supplemental income, sometimes. I get to do session work with horns, and I pick up some mixing and production stuff. I gig a lot with various bands - some Iā€™m a member of, some I get hired on for specific gigs. I donā€™t need to make money from music, so I get to be suuuuper picky about what I jump into.

4 Likes

Mechanical engineer from Dresden, Germany. Working as field service manager for a small sub-supplier company. Most of the time Iā€™m working with outlook, excel, power point and ERP, that sucks!

So I reduced my contract from 5 to 4 working days. Now IĀ“ve less money but more time for my 2 kids and for making some music OTB. Thinking about to reduce moreā€¦

9 Likes

The first thing I was advised after abandoning a dead end IT career. So first trip a few week later: 2 months to the south of Spain to work voluntary on an ornithology station. I was alive again.

Canā€™t remember who advised it at the time, but I am forever thankful. The start of a new book and Chapter 1. at the same time.

2 Likes

nice.
this is my living room at present.

[I donā€™t construct my frames, have a framer who supplies me with em] :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Whoa, just read through this thread and realized that 80% of this board is comprised of IT managers and workersā€¦ Mind blown! Enjoyed reading about the other interesting careers people have as well!

1 Like

I take care of production & bookings for a small cultural organization here in Antwerp (B) , i love my job & have lots of freedom but the budget cuts in our sector the recent (10) years are a pain in the a$$ thoughā€¦

5 Likes

i like the look of the paintings :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

While listening to The Knife ? :smiley:

2 Likes

Animation filmmaker here. Animation is really demanding and time consuming, so my elektron boxes donā€™t receive enough love haha. :sob:

5 Likes

The knife is pretty great! Really great music videos also that play with animation

1 Like

Technical Manager in Construction.
Spend my days explaining drawings And specifications to builders.
Quite a stressy environment and I spend 3-4 hours a day commuting.
Think Iā€™ll give it a few years - get rid of all debt then do something less hectic and more local.

8 Likes

Teacher - not willing to say of what or at what professional level for fear of realisation of own perceived ā€˜failureā€™ in todayā€™s LinkedIn, ladder climbing work environs.
It can be cool though - suits my outlook on life, which is the most important thing.

8 Likes