So I started drawing…

I used to draw a little when I was a kid but I haven’t in years. I recently picked up an iPad Pro and I decided to get an Apple Pencil so I can mess around with Procreate and here’s some of the stuff I’ve drawn (mostly synths and cats so I figured I’d share)

!(upload://iyxjUzDP2w7VaJ8ntsofqHWNDhL.jpeg)

It’s been nice doing something creative that’s not music also I found that drawing gear is a fantastic way to get to know it in a different way than you do from using it, if that makes any sense.

41 Likes

I quite like the drawings of your gear, good job!

1 Like

awesome, keep it up! be aware of how well you’re able to distribute your creativity and shift gears between different facets, I tend to get deeply involved in one discipline at a time. when I get creatively involved with art, it’s harder for me to work on music. the same is true with working on music, I’m currently in a period where I haven’t drawn anything for months. if you’re aware of your limitations it will be easier to distribute your focus when and where you want it, especially if you’re good at multitasking. I’m more of a hyperfocus type of personality so that’s my limitation which I have to be aware of when I can see myself getting involved with some new creative endeavor.

5 Likes

Honestly I thought given the title I’d come into a thread with a handdrawn picture of Devito going “so I started blasting”

2 Likes

If you intend to do this regularly and want others to regularly appreciate your work, might I recommend:

Looks great tho!

4 Likes

:heart_eyes_cat: :heart_eyes_cat: :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

what did you do?

is it correct that you‘ve made a photo and then run it thru some comic sans fx? :nerd_face:

the accuracy leads to that conclusion, basically it’s not freely made up from your mind alone :flying_saucer:

1 Like

Great job! I draw instead of touching my gear about 99% of the time and have no regrets. :relaxed:

1 Like

Very nice!

1 Like

It is really interesting to try to draw a fully patched modular system with just a pencil and paper. The brain really doesn’t like the activity in the beginning with all the cables everywhere, but after a while , it gets really meditative :slight_smile: especially if you have a nice evolving ambient patch going on :wink:

3 Likes

Photo loaded into procreate then traced over. Remove the photo when done.
Its a well known method.

sort of but not exactly, same technique as when we used to use a light box, put a photo I’ve taken on it and put my paper on top of that to get the outline as close to perfect as possible.
My methodology when using digital tools to do art is not to use any tool that doesn’t have an analog analogous.

So that’s what I did with procreate, my photo on the first layer and bring its opacity down so it’s almost translucent then on the second layer do the outline so everything in its right place.
Then delete the first layer and go back in and do the colors, lighting, shadowing etc etc

Nope. I drew it in procreate.

2 Likes

Pure evil.

1 Like

purrrre, i would say :cat2:

3 Likes

Good advice and I’m more of a hyper focus personality myself as well (I have in treated ADHD) so when I sink my teeth in something I can’t/don’t do anything else.
Drawing has been a great way to deal with anxiety though, when I’m obsessively working on something my brain is distracted from whatever anxiousness I’m dealing with. Also it’s nice to have another creative outlet because for me my music is completely tied to my sense of self worth and how I view a large part of myself which leads to more of a self consciousness when I’m working, whereas drawing is just a hobby and not a lens in which I view myself.
Also when I have trouble focusing on and finishing writing music I find that the discipline of finishing a complex drawing or painting can be harnessed to the discipline of following through with completing music.
I generally get excited about a new creative project and hyper focus and have fun then after the initial idea phase and the tedious work begins I get bored and it takes everything in me to keep going so it’s good practice for general creative work discipline.

2 Likes

What this little baby?

…No she is pure evil though when she wants to be

1 Like

I actually forgot about that thread. I had posted one of my early drawings there about a month ago then completely forgot that there was a thread dedicated to artwork.

Is there any way to merge my post or I guess I could just link to this post. Anyway I’ll post my future works there, thanks

1 Like

It’s interesting, I wonder if anyone has had any success translating fixations in obsessive detail work in visual art to music. Perhaps the more timbre-obsessed IDM artists, or someone like Burial? Visual layering is easier than layering in the time domain, obviously there’s making a fun loop and decomposing it to build excitement.

2 Likes