Smallest external keyboard/controller for M:C

I do not own an IPhone and I would still need a midi interface.

Looking for a portable solution with midi out, either din or trs…

Good point. Slim pickings for a tiny cheap controller with DIN MIDI output. The Launchkey Mini MK3 would get my 99.

1 Like

I say just get the smallest one (Nektar SE25?) that is USB class compliant, driverless, and add a $39 Charoriver USB MIDI host from eBay.
That’s what I use for my Twister controller, and the host is so low profile that it kinda just acts as the power supply for my Twister. In fact, it is the power supply. But with DIN out.

2 Likes

I also found these two, seem even smaller

The charoriver one ends up being 50€ to Spain because of shipping costs
Other one I found but discontinued is this one, new version soon
http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-midi-converter-v1

I even found this one made in Spain…it works even if the usb controller has a built-in USB HUB

https://compasflamenco.com/midi-c-3/usb-host-midi-2-p-6.html

As I do not see myself travelling in a couple of months I have no need to hurry…

Good points.

Yea these newer boxes are so small and light that they make great options.

I got tired of looking for a backup to my 1st gen iConnectMIDI ICM-0101 , so got the charoriver. And now I prefer it, as it is so much smaller, suits my needs, and the 5W phone usb Power I use for it takes less space on the power brick.
Now the ICM-0101 is the backup instead.

Either way, I hope you find a good solution.
I used to use an xkey37 with my A4. Really liked that one. The xkey25 would be a nice solution. Small as you can get but still have full size “keys”
@Jukka mentioned it earlier.

1 Like

Bit late, but there is this - sort of launchpad - about launchpad X size - with min-jack midi out.

1 Like

Question for users/fans of the launchkey mini mk3:

Does this keyboard send PC (Program Change) midi messages in standalone mode ? (And if so, how ?)

Do you use the KB app this way? Any feedback?

I am thinking of doing the same if it works.

i use the KB-1 app on ios with a bluetooth midi plug on the synth. very compact and fun.

1 Like

You can also configure 6 of the pads to play tracks 1-6 which works better for capturing velocity than the pads of the model series.

1 Like

Interested to know more … pics, purchase link ? Particularly, how does it connect, DIN, mini jack, or micro USB ?

it just plugs into your synth into midi in and out.
on ipad i just activate bluetooth, start kb-1 app, activate: advertise midi, ok, add a custom keyboard layout.

now i can play from the kb-1 app or connect every other core midi app like aum or some moog app. but the kb-1 app has to stay open in the background.

1 Like

Does the KeyStep share the same keys with the Mini/MicroLab? On the other hand the Novation Launchkey has the pads …

I found this on youtube How to Use Elektron Model: Samples with ANY usb midi keyboard || Best Portable Setup - YouTube

1 Like

great clip

Personally, I’m using the Korg NanoKeys keyboard, connected via USB to the Apple iPhone/iPad hub with a USB splitter where I also connect the Model:Cycles.

Through the MidiFlows app, you can even set up macro buttons on the keyboard to switch channels. Someday I’ll make a tutorial for it.

1 Like

Is the Minilab 3 now the best option?

Midi out, not just usb
4 faders (sadly not 6)
Velocity-sensitive keys

And unlike the editor for Launchkey Mini, “Every editable control on MiniLab 3 includes a MIDI Channel parameter.”

Anyone mention this thing? It’s cool with the M:C OMX-27 MIDI Keyboard - Full Kit

2 Likes

sold out
very intriguing though, thanks for posting this

1 Like

Of course, and sorry they are sold out! I expect they’ll be back in stock again - DenkiOto has good support, and they have other projects going that are quite active. It’d be worth checking back in a week or two.