Small OS tweaks

It’s been said a lot, but not in this thread, so:

I would love to be able to set rlen to higher values than 64 besides max.
128 and 256 would be great, up to 512 or even 1024 would be even better. Or maybe a “track length” option that obeys track scale…

10 Likes

Did you try with QREC = PLEN, Scale Per Track, and set Master Scale to 1024 for example ?

With rlen 64 it still just records the equivalent of 64 steps at regular scale:
“RLEN sets the duration of the recording once the track recorder starts to sample. This setting is dependent of the BPM of the sequencer but disregards any scale settings of the track. A setting of 16 will for example always record the equivalent of 16 1/16th notes with a scale setting of 1x.

And with rlen max the recording never stops…

(I have no problems getting long quantized loops from flex and pickups, but I must manually enter a record stop using qrec/qpl settings for quantize, it would be great to not have to manually enter a stop command)

3 Likes

Midi cc labels +1!

7 Likes

Can we get NPRN on the MIDI channels for controlling more stuff?

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Octatrack Feature Requests

I want to be able to put the reverb and delays on the first FX slot so I can follow it up with other modulation without having to waste a track in neighbor mode.

4 Likes

Direct pattern jump maybe?

7 Likes

Would be great if theres an option in the menu to allow the OT to mimic the Digitakt where one instance of Reverb and Delay can be used globally as Aux sends, then you would have two effect slots for other effects. Also perhaps tweaking the Reverb and time stretching algorithm as I feel it needs improving sonically.

This has been requested a million times but would love envelopes to be retrigged when using the Retrig

Would be useful if you could hold a page button, to reveal the set parameters, like you can do on the Analog boxes. Clicking an encoder to reveal its parameter sometimes accidentally changes the value too.

For this reason, I often leave my tracks in chromatic mode because all the values are permanently visible.

4 Likes

This is a good technique to have around in general, I’m surprised I didn’t think of using it on the OT myself since I use it a lot in the DAW for reducing reverberation in speech recordings that I’m not able to close mic. It’s similar to a gate but not the same, and it works better for some things.

If you put a filter or EQ in effect slot 1 and the compressor in effect slot 2 you can get yourself a kind of (cut only) dynamic EQ going on, where the frequencies you cut will be canceled less and the frequencies you boost will be canceled more. With Spatializer you could do some m/s processing but I have no idea how useful that would be or how well it would work.

/derail

3 Likes

I’d rather be able to save pattern chains, myself. It wouldn’t let you do everything that long patterns would (mostly stuff involving unequal pattern lengths) but it would cover a lot of the same ground and add plenty of other stuff to experiment with, and for me a chain of four 64 step patterns would be easier to navigate through than a single 256 step pattern, for example.

1 Like

You can already do this with the arranger, though. You can even repeat patterns and change their lengths, which you can’t do with regular pattern chains. Also, if you want multiple chains, make sections with jumps, and then queue up another section when you’re ready to switch chains.

4 Likes

I don’t want track length to go that high, I want track recorder rlen to be able to record more than 64 steps and still automatically stop. I would use this on a 64 step pattern with a one-shot recorder trig to capture say a 256 step recording without having to use one2 mode along with qrec/qpl to manually stop the recording…

Even with pattern chains there’s no way to have a recording longer than 64 steps without manually stopping it…
Seems like different issues/requests to me…

When I did mention “track length”, I was suggesting it as a setting for rlen that obeys track scale. This way on a 64 step pattern with a recorder track set to 1/4 scale, setting rlen to “track length” would give you a 256 step recording that automatically stops…

4 Likes

Yeah, that makes sense, I misinterpreted your post before (some of the posts below it clarified it, too, that’s what I get for not reading the whole thread first!)

1 Like

Currently I find switching in and out of arrange mode during my set to be a bit hazardous, as it constantly redirects back to the first line of the arrangement. It takes a few savvy button presses to redirect back without starting the arrangement over. Something to fix that would be nice.

3 Likes

So you mean that in live conditions, it’s better to stay in Arranger mode rather than switch to pattern mode because it comes back to the beginning of the arrangement?
I can’t try right now, but i’d like to be sure…

Correct. I believe the steps to get it to select a different pattern are ‘yes’ ‘play’ ‘yes’ ‘play’, once you’ve navigated the cursor to the desired pattern. (a second hassle). I’m kind of stuck using arrange mode for pattern selection because I have quite a few tempo changes.

1 Like

I would also love if the Rytm and A4 (locked to OT) wouldn’t randomly decide to fall out of sync by two pages. Happens frequently, and under several different transport and pattern switching conditions. (And I don’t use pause/unpause ever).

function + rtim = move in whole numbrer increments

1 Like