Small live setup suggestions

I am working on a small live setup which needs to work internationally, and thinking to do away with the mixer completely. I find if the mixer is small the eq is shit, and if big it’s not portable.

So far i have the Elektron Rytm MK2, in the Magma backpack and thinking maybe a small 2u carry case, maybe squeezing a power strip in the back as well, with maybe a 1u fx, or some utility yet to be worked out, suggestions? And, something to deal with the mixer issue is a decent 1u stereo eq instead.

Im liking the Drawmer 1974, it’s not too big, uses kettle lead so no big power blocks, single control for stereo eq, should sound good, but any feedback on any of this, alternatives, cheaper, better value, better sounding, smaller or things I’ve overlooked would be great.

The Drawmer is a little pricey but amazing value. I’d have to sell some bits to fund it, or land that job I’m applying for :joy:

https://www.drawmer.com/products/70s_series/1974_parametric_eq.php

Maybe the other 1u could be an fx or something? The Lexicon MPX 550 could be an option as it’s kettle lead, i think both stereo and dual mono, not very deep size wise. Multi fx as well. Lexicon are normally pretty decent. Something like that.

For routing i could go from Rytm into fx into eq to front desk, or maybe an individual out from Rytm into fx, back into Rytm to run through its compression and out to EQ then to front desk or even pull the eq in before the compression as well and just go out Rytm to main desk. Seems quite flexible.

The sort of stuff I’m thinking of playing out you can find on the Youtube link below, but it’s typically, repetitive, edgy, pacy, dubby electronic sequences with fx. I comes from a techno/electronic background so that might be something to bare in mind.

The venues will be both small gallery, back room grotty pubs, community venues, as well as small clubs. So although speakers on sticks is possible, a good system I would be more the goal.

I thinking both creative options but also a bit of problem solving with sound should i need to. Often setups in small places can be pretty shite but they are great places to try out ideas or meet different people.

I appreciate this kinda thing can be very personal or dependent on many things, but really looking for some brain storming here, critique, so open to whatever. And it might serve as a useful format for others obviously.

Backpack with Rytm and some clothes and bits, and a short 2u carry case seems nice tho.

Here are some recent sketches but i do daily uploads so load of other examples of the kinda stuff I’m on about so have click about.

Thx :black_heart:

9 Likes

Maybe a dbx compressor/gate could be good instead of fx unit. Although i could use the built in compressor on the Rytm, the lack of meters and no gate, and also general sound of it i think given the size of a small dbx might be a better route.

1 Like

perhaps the TX-6 since it runs on battery power, has tons of features like mixer and FX and small for travel. I love mine and it works great in these fly rig situations. I know that it is not cheap but for minimal footprint it does a lot.

2 Likes

I always used to ask for a 16 track mixer with aux sends plus 16 jack to jack leads to be provided. It cuts baggage and aircraft hold weight.

1 Like

It’s definitely small and full of features and can totally see it’s a popular option for that reason. Certainly helpful to think of options that might package up hardware into one box. Cheers

2 Likes

Yeah agree, that’s been my approach in the past for sure, and i think certainly still an option for those cases they can easily provide that. :+1:

I have lugged a Mackie 16 and various other mixers locally and abroad, it’s a nightmare.

1 Like

it is one of the most used pieces of gear in my studio along with my OB-4.

2 Likes

my rig small in a rigid tool case

5 Likes

I think desk provision is entirely reasonable - I used to have a flight case with a pair of MKS-50s and a lexicon MX400 (which can run up to 4 mono fx if there’s enough room on the desk to allow each to have their own channel for creating additional feedback loops.) thn chuck midi cables, t-shirts, panta, and a 707 in there. MPC1000 went on my back with a xoxbox and mopho and more wires.

I’ve shifted things a bit and reckon I could do a good show with just the Rytm and maybe an external synth plus additional control for the Rytm. I’m also keen on exploring the use of an Octatrack for realtime samplng and effecting of a performance, either recording from a group channel on a bigger set up, or acting as a mixer in a small set up, though I’m not made of money and it’ll probably have to wait.

I like the control on a desk, so the individual outs are a great thing on the Rytm, but unfortunately there’s a bug that means once everything except fx are taken from the main mix, I can’t route that mix to it’s own channel on the desk for hearing the onboard effects due to a massive increase in volume of MT/HT that thunders through despite being de-selected. Others have it with the kick. t’s a shame as it limits flexibility, but it does remain a great machine nontheless.

I saw bomb box posted on FB the other week :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yo dude! Totally feel ya!
I went with the MX-1 in the end. I found it to be great for the RYTM. It expanded it’s expression; like a weapon would to a martial artist.

How many voices are you sending out individually?

I ended up buying the AIRA EFX so each RYTM voice could have its own (character and) fader. Fun albeit time consuming.

If you want simple then surely the ES9 with an iPad would do the trick. Add one or two Korg Bluetooth midi companions to the mix for more knobs to physically twiddle.

That said, I had some really great jams with just RYTM stereo out.

2 Likes

Yeah the individual outputs and sampling was the initial and main reason i got a Rytm, as typically do the track on the desk in the studio so wanted that flow live as well.

I’ve heard about this bug but can’t say i have experienced it, which is odd? I have the grey one, not sure if that makes any difference.

That’s super tidy :black_heart::black_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

1 Like

MX-1 is an good shout actually.

So originally i was using the Rytm as sample loops and every individual output and a few outboard fx, OTO Bam, Alesis Micro, Flashback pedal, and the 16ch Mackie, which is fine, although bulky and obviously means i need a mixer abroad.

However, since I’ve started just jamming the Rytm on its own daily, I’ve been focusing on 1 or 2 tracks which obviously can work as just stereo out.

I’m think I’m going to just focus more on the Rytm instead of mixer/fx, that and then some utilities that flesh out some areas like eq and compression, maybe creative noise gate use, but basically curious of other routes.

I did look at going TR-8s instead of Rytm at one point, but will still with Rytm since been enjoying the internal synth. Will definitely look into MX-1 and other suggestions, nice.

2 Likes

I was minimising with it. As the desk etc is at mine and I’m mostly at my better half’s place, it means I can sit down after work and knock out sequences then break things down for proper recording/show practice when I have time to get to mine. I just run it using kick snare and hats as separate outs (so they can be flanged to fuck and then delays added to flange and reverb to delay, then a smidge of flange to the reverb), with all other percussion and effects from the stereo master. I could use all the outs but then the bug occurs, and I’m not overly keen on sacrificing its own internal effects, which are very flexible.

I’m really happy with the Rytm just as stereo out and can see performing this way. The overall sound is great, the flexibility is there. It cost me a lot, but it was money well spent.

1 Like

Yeah it’s a great box and I enjoy it the more i spend time with it

1 Like

yes.i like it.at the end of every gig all I need to do take few cables of and close the lid off the case and go. no more gear tear down.

2 Likes

Thinking a pelicase, heritage audio ost4 v2, couple dbx560a compressors and a couple eq. Two audio cables from Rytm to Heritage Audio and then rest is done on switches on the back. Two power supplies total. Should all be about 3kg + Rytm and super small.

3 Likes

500 series could work well for your needs!

1 Like

Yeah totally, basically brings that studio into live situation, flexible, lightweight, sound good and not bad price.

1 Like